Back on target

2 y/o accidentally shoots mom at walmart

anybody read about what kind of handgun it was ?

it is very tragic. Prayers to the family and the kid.

Cannot find any mention in the news articles.

It must have had a lite trigger pull for a 2 year old to successfully fire it. Wish they would specify the make/model.

i read that it was a smith and wesson m&p

"While her son was seated in the shopping cart and Rutledge was within a few feet of the cart, her son accessed Rutledge's concealed 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P Shield semi-automatic handgun from her purse."

Miller said the purse was specifically designed for concealed carry of a firearm and was new to her.

"The two-year old removed the firearm from the purse and fired one bullet from the pistol," The release said. "The bullet struck Mrs. Rutledge in the head, killing her instantly."

from here......http://cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_4b3a48a6-82ac-5f7c-9d56-b943542ff52b.html

it's pissing me off that they keep calling it an accident. this was sheer negligence on her part. at no time should a loaded pistol been out of her control. especially around her child.

He said he has analyzed the situation and cannot find where his daughter-in-law went wrong.

really?

REALLY???

how about when she walked away from her purse, letting her gun out of her control? that couldn't be where she went wrong, could it?

He said he has analyzed the situation and cannot find where his daughter-in-law went wrong.

really?

REALLY???

how about when she walked away from her purse, letting her gun out of her control? that couldn't be where she went wrong, could it?

Wouldn't have been a problem, If everyone with kids just amputated their fingers at birth. The father-in-law must be a glue sniffer. Anybody with an IQ score above 75 can understand exactly what went wrong. She left a purse containing a gun, unattended within reach of a 2 year old in condition zero. Without being within arms reach of the child. Turn your back on them for a second, they will chug a bottle of draino from under the kitchen sink. Pretty much where she went wrong I would say.

Gotta be hard, this will probably haunt the kid for a long time.

This kid is not going to remember anything about this - do you remember anything from when you were two years old? I think it's around age four that we start developing permanent memories.

This kid is not going to remember anything about this - do you remember anything from when you were two years old? I think it's around age four that we start developing permanent memories.

When he asks "where is mom?" how do you answer that? when he is older he will find the news articles online. Going to be hard to say "well, you shot your mother"

good point, as that's how old i was when my dad got himself removed from my moms life.....and i have virtually no memory of the dude. it didn't even phase me when i found out he'd died 19 years ago

This is very sad..

Never leave a loaded gun where a child can gain access to it..

It has happened before and unfortunately it will happen again people are human and make mistakes sadly they can be life altering..

Prayers go out to her family.. 

My wife of course sent me this news clip. I returned stats on accidental auto deaths (34,000), falls (24,000), poisoning (25,000) but did not hear back.

Cruel to say but this was a Darwin incident. I feel sorrier for the kid than for her. We'd have no trouble at all assigning fault or sympathy if the baby had killed someone other than his mother. It is then likely that she'd be up on serious charges, which she'd deserve.

Condition zero no doubt, not in control of the gun, open purse, inquisitive child nearby, purse within reach. 

The story about the "special gun compartment" sounds fishy to me. The kid opens the purse and sees all kinds of interesting stuff but he's not satisfied? He decides to pull open a zipper when he probably doesn't even know what a zipper is or what it does?

Not to mention that she's leaving all her stuff in a shopping cart unattended. 

Her father's statement is also ludicrous. She wasn't in the least bit irresponsible. No Bubby, these things happen 100s of times a day. Oh wait I'm beginning to sound like a Mom Against Gun Violins.

So you have a 1 in 316.1 MILLION chance of this same exact thing happening to you....

Meanwhile you stand a far better chance of being killed in a car crash, falling or poisoning.

Of course, but an infinitely lower chance by so doing of making the evening news. 

If that imbecile had answered her cell phone on the drive home, got distracted, crashed into an oncoming vehicle and killed herself, her child, and an elderly couple nobody would give a shit. Just a few more of the 34,000 people who die mostly needlessly on our roads. 

Of course, but an infinitely lower chance by so doing of making the evening news. 

If that imbecile had answered her cell phone on the drive home, got distracted, crashed into an oncoming vehicle and killed herself, her child, and an elderly couple nobody would give a shit. Just a few more of the 34,000 people who die mostly needlessly on our roads. 

Sure, and when it involves a gun the media is all over it like flies on s**t.

When he asks "where is mom?" how do you answer that? when he is older he will find the news articles online. Going to be hard to say "well, you shot your mother"

When a two year old asks a question like that the answer is going to be "in heaven". He is going to forget about his mother in 6 months or less and then think it's normal for his mother to not be around, young kids adapt easily.

Granted, with internet he's going to figure it out eventually, but it's probably going to be in his teen years at earliest, it's going to depend on how much the people around him tell him.

I feel for the family, but I must say, when I first heard about this incident, I thought "they're gonna have a field day with this one."

After reading the thread, a thought came to mind... "What if a 'bad guy' had taken the gun from her unattended purse?"

Granted, I've seen instances where women retrieve legally owned guns from their purses to defend themselves.

If you choose to carry 'off-body,' how far is too far? Especially with women, who (as someone mentioned) will leave a purse behind as they shop?

I have a memory that predates 2 yrs by quite a bit.  In general, those memories exist because the memory is related to something in life that was not routine.  That being said, the human mind is capable of shutting off particularly harmful and traumatic memories.

If you're going to carry in your purse/murse/fannypack/briefcase/whatever, you sure as hell better have that item on your body/in your control at all times, and not thrown in the shopping cart with the child.