Maksim

NYC Slashings

You can only have a non-locking knife with a blade under 3"

You can have anything you want as long as you don't get caught with it. I had a mugger attack me with a knife some years ago. After a shot in the face with my briefcase, his knife became my knife and his day turned from bad to worse to last.

You can only have a non-locking knife with a blade under 3"

Just for the sake of clarity of the NYC law regarding knives, it also can't be able to be opened with one hand. That means no thumb studs or holes, no flippers, nothing you can open with a flick of the wrist, etc...

But Nicky is right. Un-clip that knife from your pocket and no one will know it's there... As long as you don't have any other contact with police that will give them cause to search you.

Its so bad that atv riders roam the streets with impunity. Police Officer tries to stop a Black riding an atv by using his service weapon. atv rider calls police, officer suspended, atv rider no charges.

The is No Redeeming Value to New York City.

Now, maybe a length of piano wire......................................................................................................................................................

Just for the sake of clarity of the NYC law regarding knives, it also can't be able to be opened with one hand. That means no thumb studs or holes, no flippers, nothing you can open with a flick of the wrist, etc...

I think it can open with one hand as long as it doesn't lock open.

I think it can open with one hand as long as it doesn't lock open.

The usual thing they go after is the gravity knife bit of the law. If you do it right the VAST majority of lock backs can be flicked open, especially if you take more than one try at it. Although not explicitly included int he law, court rulings say if it can be opened by centrifugal force, it's a gravity knife. 

Heck, I've done it with a spyderco pingo and that's expressly designed not to (and it's hard and probably of questionable safety, but I could do it more than once).

However, if not possessed for unlawful purposes, a fixed blade under 4" is legal. sooo... yeah. Also there is court precedent that butterfly knives don't violate the gravity knife standard because the blade does not lock in position automatically. 

NYC abuses the crap out of the messed up law. To the point LAbor unions and even the village voice keep on complaining about it. 

The usual thing they go after is the gravity knife bit of the law. If you do it right the VAST majority of lock backs can be flicked open, especially if you take more than one try at it. Although not explicitly included int he law, court rulings say if it can be opened by centrifugal force, it's a gravity knife. 

Heck, I've done it with a spyderco pingo and that's expressly designed not to (and it's hard and probably of questionable safety, but I could do it more than once).

However, if not possessed for unlawful purposes, a fixed blade under 4" is legal. sooo... yeah. Also there is court precedent that butterfly knives don't violate the gravity knife standard because the blade does not lock in position automatically. 

NYC abuses the crap out of the messed up law. To the point LAbor unions and even the village voice keep on complaining about it. 

They play games like holding the knife by the blade. The extra weight in the handle makes in much easier to flick open.

I had read the article in the Voice. They wait outside the Broadway theaters and harass/arrest the union workers who are required to carry a knife for their job. The whole thing is a racket.

As others have said just don't have the clip sticking out of your pocket.

But Nicky is right. Un-clip that knife from your pocket and no one will know it's there... As long as you don't have any other contact with police that will give them cause to search you.

So I've got this knife that absolutely can't be flicked open, but the blade locks open.. for safety I assume. To close it you have to press the tab on the back side of the knife. Blade is probably about 4".

No clip on it.  I do in fact need it for work, but don't carry it in the People's Republic of NY.

Would you say this is legal or illegal in NYC?

Here's a similar knife.

http://www.foxqualityknives.com/content/177358/productimages/Buck_Knives_Buck_55_Lockback_Folding_Pocket_Knife.jpg

So I've got this knife that absolutely can't be flicked open, but the blade locks open.. for safety I assume. To close it you have to press the tab on the back side of the knife. Blade is probably about 4".

No clip on it. I do in fact need it for work, but don't carry it in the People's Republic of NY.

Would you say this is legal or illegal in NYC?

Here's a similar knife.

http://www.foxqualityknives.com/content/177358/productimages/Buck_Knives_Buck_55_Lockback_Folding_Pocket_Knife.jpg

I guarantee you I could flick it open 100% of the time unless there is something really odd.