Malsua

Vent Hood re-direct

I hear ya. Nothing more then scrap wood laying around anyway and a handful of nails or screws if i did it. You knock time off the install and the cabinets will never fall for less than an hour labor from the start. LOL

As for bathrooms my problem was always the pedestal sinks, They are on the prints most of the time and there's no wood to secure it to the wall. I've cut sheet rock up many time only to here the GC whine why did you do that.

Sounds like you do/did good work, the little things no one ever sees is what shows work people do! No one ever knew we spent extra time blocking kitchens and baths do they?

Ahhh, you had to mention those gremlins, didja? Yeah, one more place where it's just easier to do things smart than to try to EVADE a liitle thinking. 

Best looking woman on the planet HAS to have good bone structure to hang the skin on, right?

One more place I put time in on is wall flatness, along with typical plumb. Even 12 inch tile goes on well if the wall is flat!  Flat studs are worth sorting out for the tiled areas, shimming helps.

(truth is, I'm usually the GC, and I avoid subs wherever I can.)

If the studs go in right, the drywall can. If it goes up and is finished right, I don't have to fiddle as much with the crown moldings, all goes back to the framing being done right.

If you get one of those GC's, point out the cost of FIXING the damn things after the paint is on!

From your comments, I gotta guess you learned in the field, from an old timer or two who still gave his/her best efforts on ALL their jobs. Looks like you do it too.

Ahhh, you had to mention those gremlins, didja? Yeah, one more place where it's just easier to do things smart than to try to EVADE a liitle thinking. 

Best looking woman on the planet HAS to have good bone structure to hang the skin on, right?

One more place I put time in on is wall flatness, along with typical plumb. Even 12 inch tile goes on well if the wall is flat!  Flat studs are worth sorting out for the tiled areas, shimming helps.

(truth is, I'm usually the GC, and I avoid subs wherever I can.)

If the studs go in right, the drywall can. If it goes up and is finished right, I don't have to fiddle as much with the crown moldings, all goes back to the framing being done right.

If you get one of those GC's, point out the cost of FIXING the damn things after the paint is on!

From your comments, I gotta guess you learned in the field, from an old timer or two who still gave his/her best efforts on ALL their jobs. Looks like you do it too.

My first thought was well why not do it right the first time. I worked for an HVAC contractor, Plumber and a builder before going out on my own. And the waste of MONEY was amazing just for a few hours work. I also did trim work for a while also which is how I started hanging cabinets. Try hanging a door with the proper reveal and level when the opening is off an 1.5". The contractors loved the changes$, the builder usually just made it an extra and made a few bucks.

So when I went out on my own I knew all the tricks so to speak. All the things we talked of when the house is being framed is pennies compared to moving a stove, sink or even a dishwasher when the job is complete.

The worse contractor I ever worked for was a HVAC co. I was roughing in a 6,000 sq.ft custom built home so I had the print and it said to put a supply 7' 8" off a wall which was in the middle of a room, assuming it was wrong I put it straight out in the wall about three feet away. My boss YELLED at me like a rabbit rat! He said you cost me hundreds of dollars just on one run, of course me being green said Huh. LOL His point was we work by the blue print and I should have put it in the middle of nowhere, see then when the GC seen it he would his company get a callback and charge time and material to move it. LOL I left a few days later after seeing some of his money making tricks.

My first thought was well why not do it right the first time

Wow, a brain AND the ability to use it, Kudos!

then when the GC seen it he would his company get a callback and charge time and material to move it. LOL I left a few days later after seeing some of his money making tricks.

Now people understand a bit better why we contractors are right behind used car salesmen in complaints.

I hope you pass your ethics and values along to another!!!!

Finished it up on Sunday.  Came out pretty good.   I tried some new sealer, Lexel and I'm not sure I like it, the stuff is impossible to remove once it's applied.   I guess it bonds well and probably works well, but it's hard to make it neat since you can't clean it off.

hood6.jpg

hood7.jpg

hood8.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good. Nice neat opening, pretty darn close to square, not jagged, you know how to use a saw, fer sher!

I like Lexel, but only where it doesn't show much. 

Phenoseal makes a good one, it's durable and easy cleanup, and mildew resistant, and comes translucent or several common tints besides white.

You did box in the opening with tin to protect the fiberglass, or did the vent have enough depth to skip it? Hard to tell, but I have seen where they were 4 inches or better so you wouldn't have needed it.

Love those cabinet handles, btw.

Looks good. Nice neat opening, pretty darn close to square, not jagged, you know how to use a saw, fer sher!

I like Lexel, but only where it doesn't show much. 

Phenoseal makes a good one, it's durable and easy cleanup, and mildew resistant, and comes translucent or several common tints besides white.

You did box in the opening with tin to protect the fiberglass, or did the vent have enough depth to skip it? Hard to tell, but I have seen where they were 4 inches or better so you wouldn't have needed it.

Love those cabinet handles, btw.

Thanks!   I used to work in a cabinet shop in the early 90s and I did all the interior trim after our remodel in 2012.   I have a lot wood working tools including routers, a radial arm, table saw, chop saws, hand saws, band saw, nailers etc, although I'd like to get a planar/joiner.    I'm probably most proud of my railings.

railing1.jpg

stairrail1.jpg

or you can look through our construction blog http://thewellrats.com/malblog/   A contractor did the framing, insulating, electric, sheet rock, roof and plumbing.  I did just about everything else myself including putting in the hot water baseboard, pex and furnace, ran the gas lines and trenches, painting, staining, interior wood walls and crown, all the window trim, interior doors, etc.  It was a big job.

As far as the box..it fit all the way through to the back of the vent hood and just kisses it.  The other piece that's attached to the hood fits inside it.  I couldn't have asked for a better fit, it was exactly the right length of about 5 inches.

My wife built that kitchen before I met her.    They are definitely unique handles.  We had trouble locating a replacement some years ago.

• Like 1

Hey, I like the way you dressed up the posts. That spindle effect reminds me of some of the stuff Frank Loyd Wright has done, perhaps you were inspired from something of his? Anyhoo, it looks great, and the stairs too, and they look far too light and airy to support a human, nice design.

"hot water baseboard, pex and furnace, ran the gas lines and trenches, painting, staining, interior wood walls and crown, all the window trim, interior doors, etc.  It was a big job."

Only all the stuff that shows a skill set, huh? As if any of that mattered, heh heh!

Bet that wife is proud of you.

If you ARE looking for a jointer, not a planer, I have two OOOLD Delta ones, and have been planning to divest myself of at least one, as well as some other tools, I'm looking to downsize. Get in touch with me if you'd be interested. I'm off 22 near Westfield/Plainfield if that's not too far to travel for such stuff.

We built those newel posts out of 1x6 boxed, some outside corner and some clam that I ripped the edge off of to make lath.  They are hollow, bolted to the floor and I've bolted the railings on the inside.

The wife likes craftsman style wood working so she took cues from that and we made it our own.   She was fully involved in the process, so I can't take all the credit.  I do all the cutting and fastening though.

they look far too light and airy to support a human

It took me a minute to figure out what you meant.   Heh.  There's an optical illusion going on here that I hadn't noticed.  There is a structure under the stairs that forms a closet.

The pic below should clear it up.

As to the delta jointer...yeah, I'm interested.   One of those is probably what I used to use in the old cabinet shop.   Big ole cast iron beast?    My only issue is that right now my truck has a throttle problem and until I can figure out what the problem is, I don't want to travel too far from home in case it decides to give out.  I'm going to clean it this weekend, replace it if it still fails, then I'll have to get the PCM replaced if that one still fails.  It's an intermittent problem, so it's hard to pin down.

The funny thing about all these pictures...the trim isn't done, nor is the staining...I guess I should run around and get updated pics of everything.

panelfinal1.jpg

Ahhh, the disappearing closet, nice! (chuckle) 

Its the coloration that thru me off, in the original pic it seems as if the "back wall" is in shadow, that's what makes the illusion. Your latest pic makes that quite obvious. Fooled me good, ya did!

Yes, they are cast iron, and old, but not that big. Maybe 125 pounds, 35 inches high by the same in length, and around 9 deep. Think jointer not planer, tho they will do as much as 5 1/2 or 6 inches, 12 if you carefully do a side at a time. Have to worry about grain chipping when doing that of course.

Good luck with the truck