Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Question for those of you familiar with Pennington

Nowadays, 'treatment' is putting them on meds, patting them on the ass, and sending them home. It is the up to the individual to continue with his or her med regime. Many of them just stop taking meds for one reason or another. Then they are back to square one. 
There is very little REAL treatment for mental illness these days. 
That is sad, because obviously if they could take care of themselves with a medical regiment and medication decisions they wouldn't be mentally ill.

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Nowadays, 'treatment' is putting them on meds, patting them on the ass, and sending them home. It is the up to the individual to continue with his or her med regime. Many of them just stop taking meds for one reason or another. Then they are back to square one. 

There is very little REAL treatment for mental illness these days. 

Many psych drugs have bad side effects - nausea, cotton mouth, etc. - that's a big reason patients go off them - they feel like crap! Others just get lax, get forgetful, or convince themselves that they're "cured". And sadly, the worst mental illnesses are soooo difficult on family members and friends, those folks tend to get driven away, then you have no one left to help keep the ill person on-track with their meds. It's all terribly sad.

And it's all been complicated by the well-intentioned "patient's rights" groups that sprang up after awful abuses were found in our state mental institutions. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get a mentally ill person institutionalized for any length of time. So they usually end up homeless on the street at some point, after having lost everything... and then moving from street to ER, to jail, back to the street... a round robin of misery.

Do you know which 2 U.S. institutions house more mentally ill people than any others? LA county jail system and Richter's Island in NY. Yep, the top 2 are not mental hospitals, but jails. Isn't that awful? I was horrified by that. Though, in fairness, I'm not aware of ANY society that does a great job dealing with the mentally ill. It's just a very tough, intractable problem... no perfect solutions.

As sad as this Pennington case sounds, so far, he's still got a roof over his head. That's something! (Though the missing doors and windows will be a problem come winter).

20 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Many psych drugs have bad side effects - nausea, cotton mouth, etc. - that's a big reason patients go off them - they feel like crap! Others just get lax, get forgetful, or convince themselves that they're "cured". And sadly, the worst mental illnesses are soooo difficult on family members and friends, those folks tend to get driven away, then you have no one left to help keep the ill person on-track with their meds. It's all terribly sad.

And it's all been complicated by the well-intentioned "patient's rights" groups that sprang up after awful abuses were found in our state mental institutions. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get a mentally ill person institutionalized for any length of time. So they usually end up homeless on the street at some point, after having lost everything... and then moving from street to ER, to jail, back to the street... a round robin of misery.

EXACTLY the experience I had with my late father in law. 

The other possibility is to force someone into a home and force them to take their meds each day. What's worse, letting a guy paint random nonsense on his car and fight with dumpsters or to lock that guy in his room 23 hours per day and force feed him his meds.  I don't know any specifics but it's a hard call sometimes.

I have a close family member who suffers from manic depression.  When she's in a manic episode, she's convinced that she's completely cured and stops taking her meds.   When she's in a depressive episode, she's convinced that the medicine won't help anyway so she stops taking her meds.  I've never seen her fight with a dumpster but she has a long history of not making the best life choices.  Would I lock her up and force her to make better choices?  No.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I don't know any specifics but it's a hard call sometimes.

I have a close family member who suffers from manic depression.  When she's in a manic episode, she's convinced that she's completely cured and stops taking her meds.   When she's in a depressive episode, she's convinced that the medicine won't help anyway so she stops taking her meds.  I've never seen her fight with a dumpster but she has a long history of not making the best life choices.  Would I lock her up and force her to make better choices?  No.

Yeah, these situations are sooo tough. I have a cousin who's schizophrenic - what his late parents went through, and my cousins are going through now dealing with it - well, it's just unfathomable. If a person hasn't been personally touched by it in their family, it is difficult to understand just how overwhelming it can be --- if affects not just the person who is ill, but the entire family unit. The tentacles of mental illness reach EVERYWHERE! Sorry that you're dealing with that... my best wishes to her, you and your whole family! 

34 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Hopewell and Pennington have changed in 10 years. Btw, your circle sucks!

21 years ago when i first got this place.  There was nothing from me to the pennington market.   Its a friggin mess now. 

Mrs peel et al.  Dont even try to sympathize.    This situation is something you can never understand.  Theres alotta backstory to it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

21 years ago when i first got this place.  There was nothing from me to the pennington market.   Its a friggin mess now. 

Mrs peel et al.  Dont even try to sympathize.    This situation is something you can never understand.  Theres alotta backstory to it. 

Do tell

22 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Each situation is unique. I'll give you that. And I'm sure it's not easy to be the neighbor of someone who's making a spectacle and driving down property values either - on that score, YOU get some of my sympathy too! I'm sure it's a complicated mess all the way around. :(