Sign in to follow this  
rauchman

15 round mags for G17

I've been looking into this myself for a while. Can you just put a block in the bottom to stop it from loading the last 2 rounds? If you find any clips that hold 15 please let me know as well. I'm looking into and information on modifying the clips and I'll let you know if I find any.

Can you just put a block in the bottom to stop it from loading the last 2 rounds?

No, you cannot block a mag in NJ. I've been going through this research myself for the past several months. From what I can gather, the deal is that the law requires a magazine to be "permanently" blocked. However, considering I cannot find a single person to give me a concrete answer regarding what the definition of a "permanently" blocked magazine means. I have been able to ascertain that a temporarily blocked magazine, with a piece of wood or plastic in the bottom of the mag well, may only be applicable to LE, if even that is legal at all. Considering that being caught with a "hi capacity magazine" in NJ is punishable with jail time...... I'm sticking with 10 rounders for now. I actually just purchased a few extras and have been practicing speed loading magazines rather than relying on 15 rounders.

If your you just have to have 15 rounds in a mag... try picking up a G19. That is a fine weapon as well.

Sucks, but hey.... this is NJ.

MSax

I am sure you can take it to a gunsmith to make it a 15.

I actually know of a guy that use to block AR-15 mags to 15 rounds. But with the State Police's new policies, he has been effectively put out of business. The Magazine needs to be "permanently" blocked. And I've even heard guys mention that the block has to be done by the manufacturer.

I'd love to find a inroad around this stupid rule, but so far I have not been successful.

MSax

Brick Armory is a class 3 ffl.... and I know for a fact that they can permanently block an xd mag. Question is if you stick a pin in there... that can be easily removed, or if welded/permanent block. Contact them. Cant hurt. they deal with the state police all the time.

Greetings all,

Thanks for the info. I already have a G19 as well and while I really like the gun, I also really like the G17. It irks me beyond belief that the very fine G17 has to be neutered to a 10 round mag. It also really irks me that the one pistol I've wanted since I was a little kid, I can't get because of the rediculous law....the Steyr GB.

Can anyone post contact info for Brick Armory?

Brick Armory is a class 3 ffl.... and I know for a fact that they can permanently block an xd mag. Question is if you stick a pin in there... that can be easily removed, or if welded/permanent block. Contact them. Cant hurt. they deal with the state police all the time.

I actually did check with Brick Armory as they are quite close by (I live in Southern Monmouth County) and they were the ones that suggested that I should just stick with 10 rounders because a "Pin" or "plastic/wooden block" in the bottom of the magazine can be easily reversed, thereby making the magazine once again a hi-cap and thus illegal. The state police see no difference between a hi-cap and a pinned/blocked hi-cap unless it is "permenantly blocked". Again, I don't know what their definition of "permenantly blocked" means. So they were the ones that stated that we are really kindof screwed on the magazine issue.

Now, I have been in contact with a gunsmith in CA that has suggested that he claims can "permenantly" block magazines (specifically AR magazines not so much Glocks, but it may work on Glock mags too) so that they are officially legal in CA. CA has very similar laws to NJ. So I am in the process of trying to determine if his mod could also be considered legal here in NJ. I will have to find out more information and post back later as to exactly what he is doing.

The absolute dumbest part of this whole thing is that in NJ you cannot have a collapsable stock on your AR-15 in combination with a pistol grip. This would qualify it as "substantially identical" to a Colt AR-15 and therefore would be considered a banned assualt weapon. However, you can have an FFL go to the Home Depot and put a 0.38 cent "pin" in the stock so that it can't move and that is consered "permenant". But the same approach to "pinning" a magazine to block it from exceeding 15 rounds is NOT considered permenant. Go figure?!?!

The more you learn about gun laws in NJ the more confused you will become.

MSax

I actually did check with Brick Armory as they are quite close by (I live in Southern Monmouth County) and they were the ones that suggested that I should just stick with 10 rounders because a "Pin" or "plastic/wooden block" in the bottom of the magazine can be easily reversed, thereby making the magazine once again a hi-cap and thus illegal. The state police see no difference between a hi-cap and a pinned/blocked hi-cap unless it is "permenantly blocked". Again, I don't know what their definition of "permenantly blocked" means. So they were the ones that stated that we are really kindof screwed on the magazine issue.

Now, I have been in contact with a gunsmith in CA that has suggested that he claims can "permenantly" block magazines (specifically AR magazines not so much Glocks, but it may work on Glock mags too) so that they are officially legal in CA. CA has very similar laws to NJ. So I am in the process of trying to determine if his mod could also be considered legal here in NJ. I will have to find out more information and post back later as to exactly what he is doing.

The absolute dumbest part of this whole thing is that in NJ you cannot have a collapsable stock on your AR-15 in combination with a pistol grip. This would qualify it as "substantially identical" to a Colt AR-15 and therefore would be considered a banned assualt weapon. However, you can have an FFL go to the Home Depot and put a 0.38 cent "pin" in the stock so that it can't move and that is consered "permenant". But the same approach to "pinning" a magazine to block it from exceeding 15 rounds is NOT considered permenant. Go figure?!?!

The more you learn about gun laws in NJ the more confused you will become.

MSax

And that is where the issues come up. Laws are created based on precedents and by common people. When they word a passage in a bill, they inadvertenly have bigger consequences.

I was just checking with my gunsmith because we are having a hard time finding a XD 9mm bitone for my wife. All the ones on line have the 16rd mag. I asked him if he couls just block it. He said the blocked mags are illigal in NJ.

I picked up an XD9 Tact in Jan. SA does sell 15 round mags for the XD9. I believe they run around $26 or so.

Guys,

I just wanted to post an update on the gunsmith in CA that I previously mentioned that suggested that he can permenatly block a magazine (AR-15 Magazine to be exact). From what I've been able to determine, the proceedure uses a rod epoxied to the bottom of the follower that would limit the travel of to 10 rounds. They then epoxy the floorplate in place to make it "permenant". The mod is known as a 10/30 PMag Mod or 10/20 PMag Mod. You can do a search and find some further information.

To make a long story short, no way in heck would I want to try to explain to LE that that mod is "permenant". That seems to fit the NJ Regulations definition of a temporary "block" that could easily by broken out with a screwdriver and revert the magazine back to hi capacity status. I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

The other mod that I've been looking at is to actually take a 20 or 30 round ProMag PMag magazine and physically saw it in half/cut it down so that it physically can only hold 15 rounds. Obviously removing a large portion of the magazine body by saw would eliminate the possibility of reverting the magazine back to its original capacity. Sounds like a few gunsmiths here in NJ are/have done the mod. Some other threads on this forum discuss that option/availability further.

It think if you were to go that route, I'd stick with the chopped down version over the CA "block" method.

Just my $0.02.

As for blocking a 17 round magazine to 15.... I've had no luck. Sorry.

MSax

I'm pretty sure that Silver Bullet in Rockaway will do a NJ legal XD mag pin job. I was there a couple of weeks ago and they were showing me an XDM in 9mm. AFAIK, Springfield only ships that gun with 19 rd mags, and Frank said that they take care of the mags before delivery. SB is a Class 3 FFL, and may be the only ones doing that kind of work to NJSP satisfaction.

Give them a call. Nothing to lose.

Ken

There are a few Glock Custom shops that will cut a few centimeters off the bottom of a Glock 17 grip so that it will fit the 15 round Glock 19 magazines. This is the only way I know of that will convert the Glock 17/34 to hold 15 rounds and not fall into somee grey area in NJ llaws. If the mag is perminatly altered it becomes NJ compliant, but I don't want to be the one who tests this in court.

Reviving a three year old thread to see if anyone has updates. Search did not find anything useful.

I prefer not to make permanent modifications to the firearm in case I move out of state.

----------------

Update: I can't delete the post after finding this but looks like Arms and Ammo sell them

http://njgunforums.c...post__p__434483