Lublin

my first black rifle

hey everyone. i'm new to the forum and just recently (3 days ago) purchased my first ar15 rifle. i purchased it off of a fellow nj resident that i came across on ar15.com. it's a bushmaster m4a3 .223/5.56 rifle. i haven't even shot it yet and i've begun outfitting it. here's what i have on the way:

daniel defense omega 7" rail

grip pod gps-02 foregrip

bushnell trophy 1x32 red dot

gg&g spring-loaded b.u.i.s.

ace shorty skeleton stock w/ 1" pad

custom made 15 rnd magpul pmags

i'll post pictures of it when it's all put together. for now, here's a picture of it in stock form:

3159_80857660317_668785317_2196681_4434784_n.jpg

Love those black rifles!

Not to tell you how to put your's together, but the Hogue pistol grip is the way to go. I think mine was 15 bucks and it makes it so much more comfortable. Have fun with her bro!

The best upgrade you can make on that rifle is to replace the stock trigger with a RRA 2 Stage. For appx. $100.00 you can't go wrong. Reduces the pull from appx. 8lbs to 2-2 1/2.

Is that a drop-in trigger? Or is it more involved and need a gunsmith?

Just drops right in. Take out the trigger and hammer pin and drop them in. Takes 5 minutes.

Okay, once my money looks better it would be one of my upgrades (along with a red-dot scope and tactical sling)

Can we own ar's with flash suppressors and adjustable stocks? I was under the impression that I couldn't own a rifle in the above configuration......If I have been misled......I have a new number 1 on the must buy list.

Nope, no flashhiders or adjustable stocks. Why did you think you could?

Can we own ar's with flash suppressors and adjustable stocks? I was under the impression that I couldn't own a rifle in the above configuration......If I have been misled......I have a new number 1 on the must buy list.

We can't. My "post-ban" Bushmaster M4 has a muzzle brake and a "pinned" collapsible stock which does not adjust.

Nope. You can only have one item from "the list." If you have a flash hider, you can't have a pistol grip. If you have a pistol grip, you can't have a collapsible stock, etc.

Nope, no flashhiders or adjustable stocks. Why did you think you could?

I'd guess he thought the muzzle brake was a flash hider and that the pinned collapsible stock actually worked. They can be a little hard to distinguish.

That is exactly what I thought. I'm sorry. I'm somewhat new to modular repeating rifles. But I do love all of them equally now.

I will now be trying to get an upper very similar to that for my DPMS 308 and my wife is now set on getting a .223 in a similar configuration.

Thanks sooooo much for clearing that up for me guys...... :D

I owe you one....come find me when you need 1911 advice.....

That is exactly what I thought. I'm sorry. I'm somewhat new to modular repeating rifles. But I do love all of them equally now.

I will now be trying to get an upper very similar to that for my DPMS 308 and my wife is now set on getting a .223 in a similar configuration.

Thanks sooooo much for clearing that up for me guys...... :D

I owe you one....come find me when you need 1911 advice.....

It's quite all right. There are a lot more parts to a rifle that take some getting to know. A muzzle brake and a flash hider can be pretty hard to tell apart.

I thought I'd fill you all in on how my AR is coming together. I received all of my parts with the exception of my ACE shorty skeleton stock which is taking an absurd amount of time to ship from ACE. Here's what it is:

Bushmaster M4 A3

Daniel Defense Omega 7" quad rail

Grip Pod GPS-02 foregrip with deployable bipod

Magpul protective rail ladders

Bushnell Trophy 1x32 red dot

GG&G spring-loaded back up inline sight

MGI D-Ring extractor upgrade

Magpul PMAG's

ACE shorty skeleton stock (not pictured)

I'll toss up another photo of the rifle completely put together when the stock arrives. Also, I'm looking into picking up either a scope or a red dot magnifier for longer distance shooting. For now:

cimg4988e.jpg

Very nice AR!

Additions I would highly recommend: (my humble $0.02)

Badger Ordinance Tactical Latch - it's cheap, well made, works great, but is a nuisance to install

Some version of a sling - I find single points to be the best for my uses (armed citizen), but everyone has a favorite, two-point, three-point.

Some version of a rear receiver sling mounting option (especially if you opt for a single point) - GG&G makes a nice one that's affordable. Although the ACE shorty may already have that covered.

Cases of ammo!! (obviously)

Ciener Conversion Kit - lets you shoot .22LR with only swapping the bolt. Pricey, and hard to find lately, but its awesome!!!

Where did you get your converted PMags from?

Good luck and enjoy!!

Very nice AR!

Additions I would highly recommend: (my humble $0.02)

Badger Ordinance Tactical Latch - it's cheap, well made, works great, but is a nuisance to install

Some version of a sling - I find single points to be the best for my uses (armed citizen), but everyone has a favorite, two-point, three-point.

Some version of a rear receiver sling mounting option (especially if you opt for a single point) - GG&G makes a nice one that's affordable. Although the ACE shorty may already have that covered.

Cases of ammo!! (obviously)

Ciener Conversion Kit - lets you shoot .22LR with only swapping the bolt. Pricey, and hard to find lately, but its awesome!!!

Where did you get your converted PMags from?

Good luck and enjoy!!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I bought my 15 round PMAG's from Tip's Hardware in West Creek, NJ. They're $40 each and $10 shipping for 1 or 10 pieces.

I do believe that there is a NJGF member that sells 15 round magazines for AR's and I would recommend asking around and giving him a try first. You know - "keep it in the family."

The .22LR conversion has definitely caught my eye, but I would spring for the full .22LR upper as I read that .22LR rounds will keyhole a .223/5.56 barrel over time.

I was looking at that same Bushnell scope for my AR. Does yours have the deer in the crosshairs symbol on the other side? I kinda don't want being that I'm not going to hunt with it. Also, that scope has the back-up irons on top, can you co-witness with the iron sights you already have?

BTW, nice set up.

I was looking at that same Bushnell scope for my AR. Does yours have the deer in the crosshairs symbol on the other side? I kinda don't want being that I'm not going to hunt with it. Also, that scope has the back-up irons on top, can you co-witness with the iron sights you already have?

BTW, nice set up.

It's normal. Just rub it down with some oil or even WD40 will work.

BTW, nice set up.

It's normal. Just rub it down with some oil or even WD40 will work.

Have you tried to use the iron sights on top of the scope? That might be the deal breaker. Bushnell makes quality scopes but I don't know about their red-dots.