jasonx

FID card needs to be carried when going to range?

IANAL, but Rosey is correct. I explicitly discussed this with Evan Nappen at several US Lawshield seminars.  If you are a member of a club that meets the requirements of the 2:39 verbiage that PK90 posted above, then you fall within this additional exemption.

One example of such a conforming private club is Union Hill Gun Club, where I am currently a member.  In contrast, this does not apply to a club such as Garden State Shooting Club, where I was formerly a member. (I confirmed this with Tony in a conversation some time ago).    I assume  because, being a public club renting to walk-ins, does not provide a list of members to the state. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

IANAL, but Rosey is correct. I explicitly discussed this with Evan Nappen at several US Lawshield seminars.  If you are a member of a club that meets the requirements of the 2:39 verbiage that PK90 posted above, then you fall within this additional exemption.

One example of such a conforming private club is Union Hill Gun Club, where I am currently a member.  In contrast, this does not apply to a club such as Garden State Shooting Club, where I was formerly a member. (I confirmed this with Tony in a conversation some time ago).    I assume  because, being a public club renting to walk-ins, does not provide a list of members to the state. 

Thanks for your comment and your commitment to the 2nd Amendment!! 

And now I'll add another EXEMPTION being on a private gun club's list provided to NJSP gets you:

I can lend you a hand gun for 7 hrs 59 min & 59 sec's.  So long as I STAY on the range property.  I don't have to babysit you, I don't have to see you or watch you shoot the hand gun.  I can be on a different squad in a different shooting pit.  Hell, I can go take a nap in my vehicle or lay down on a couch in an air conditioned or heated office trailer after I hand you the gun :)   Not only isn't it an "illegal transfer", but it happens all over Jersey every weekend at organized matches throughout the state wherein a competitor's gun breaks OR he/she forgets their gun, ammo, holster, mags, mag pouches, competition speed belt, wallet, or any combination thereof.  Trunks pop open like MAGIC & stuff spills-out onto tailgates so a league member can shoot with their buddies' equipment!  How do I KNOW all this shit?  Cause I WATCHED IT HAPPEN BEFORE MY EYES, that's how!

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

Thanks for your comment and your commitment to the 2nd Amendment!! 

And now I'll add another EXEMPTION being on a private gun club's list provided to NJSP gets you:

I can lend you a hand gun for 7 hrs 59 min & 59 sec's.  So long as I STAY on the range property.  I don't have to babysit you, I don't have to see you or watch you shoot the hand gun.  I can be on a different squad in a different shooting pit.  Hell, I can go take a nap in my vehicle or lay down on a couch in an air conditioned or heated office trailer after I hand you the gun :)   Not only isn't it an "illegal transfer", but it happens all over Jersey every weekend at organized matches throughout the state wherein a competitor's gun breaks OR he/she forgets their gun, ammo, holster, mags, mag pouches, competition speed belt, wallet, or any combination thereof.  Trunks pop open like MAGIC & stuff spills-out onto tailgates so a league member can shoot with their buddies' equipment!  How do I KNOW all this shit?  Cause I WATCHED IT HAPPEN BEFORE MY EYES, that's how!

The nuance with this one is the location has to be club that submitted its membership list - you do not have to be a member. The only get out for the location is to be a certified instructor and the location is "suitable for training", or the person you are doing the temporary transfer to is your child.

• Informative 1

Did we get off the beaten path here? 

@jasonx

No, you do not need to have your FID, BUT as a NJ resident, you should.  More often than not, it may save headaches.

There is a difference between being right and being effective.  Having an FID card will make it more effective.  Plus... it is an extra form of ID and really throws people off when you show it to them. lol.

Along the same lines, while living in NJ, I generally said to carry a copy of the pistol permit, but never had to use it.

As others mentioned, the FID and pistol permits are to purchase new firearms, but not to own.

The other aspect is... with the latest anti-gun moves, quite frankly many gun owners in NJ simply don't care anymore. 

as @dajonga mentioned, having a pistol permit (usable) in the car is both a good and bad idea.  Never know when a deal pops up, but you also have it burning a hole in your wallet. lol.  For FID, some stores who may not know you, may ask for FID to even look at guns.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

The nuance with this one is the location has to be club that submitted its membership list - you do not have to be a member. The only get out for the location is to be a certified instructor and the location is "suitable for training", or the person you are doing the temporary transfer to is your child.

Thanks @Mr.Stu.  Nuance & interpretation is where FREEDOM LIVES!  :)