remthewanderer

cross eye dominance

cross eye dominance. I shoot in a Weaver Stance. I find that the isometric push pull makes me more accurate. My real issue is that I am right handed but I can see my front sight better with my left eye. Does this make me cross eye dominant?

What I am finding is that I have very good shot placement at 7 yards (nothing fancy) but everything is to the left. Not down and to the left but directly left of the target. I diagnosed this problem to the fact that I am using my left eye and not cocking my head to the right to put my left eye in line with my shooting arm.

I am trying to train my muscle memory to do this naturally. Is there something I could add to my training? I am shooting in my first match, a GSSF event in Jackson, in about a month. I don't expect to win 1st place but I want to shoot to the best of my ability.

Saw this quick test. Cross your hands in front of your face and leave a little space in between that you can see through. Look at something far our though this hole, and start bringing your hands closer to your face as you keep looking forward. You will find that your hands naturally go towards one of the eyes... this is your dominant eye.

maksim,

right after I posted this I read the wikipedia article on Ocular Dominance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

So should I be cocking my head so that my dominant left eye is in line with my strait right arm? When I do that it works really well but I am trying to figure if this is good form.

I am sure some would agree... but learn to shoot with both eyes open. =) If you have adjustable sights... why not?

I tried the shooting with both eyes open technique, damn near went cross eyed. Going to take a lot of practice to actually be able to see the sights without seeing double :ugeek:

look at something through your two hands (Make a triangle with them) Close the left eye....do you see the object or the back of your hand? If you see the back of the hand you are left eye dominant. If you see the object you are right eye dominant.

I am right eye dominant per the above test.

Yes you are cross eye dominant. This is not a bad thing. When you practice try shooting with your right eye closed. Then shoot with both eyes open. If you are having trouble getting the target, wink the right eye. This was told to me by a very good shooter. I tryed it dry firing and it works like a charm.

Saw this quick test. Cross your hands in front of your face and leave a little space in between that you can see through. Look at something far our though this hole, and start bringing your hands closer to your face as you keep looking forward. You will find that your hands naturally go towards one of the eyes... this is your dominant eye.

Yes.... I did this at a Gun for Hire class but when you bring your hands close to your face close one eye at a time and see which eye you see the target with. When I do this I see the target with my left eye but I'm right handed. I am cross eye dominant.

I am going through the same thing. I have a new Glock 22, I am a newer shooter but I'm shooting low and a little right. is it me? is it the new not broken in G22? ammo? Do I need to change my fixed sites? its most likely me but I can compensate and hit my target buy focusing my front site about an inch above my target, (about 10/15yd).

This is actually what was taught when I was going through BRM in BCT to find your dominant eye. So, yes, definitely works in all application. I have a buddy of mine who is a righty, but shoots lefty because its his dominant eye.

Yes.... I did this at a Gun for Hire class but when you bring your hands close to your face close one eye at a time and see which eye you see the target with. When I do this I see the target with my left eye but I'm right handed. I am cross eye dominant.

I am going through the same thing. I have a new Glock 22, I am a newer shooter but I'm shooting low and a little right. is it me? is it the new not broken in G22? ammo? Do I need to change my fixed sites? its most likely me but I can compensate and hit my target by focusing my front site an aim about an inch above my target. (about 10/15yd).

Hello vrich, are you left handed? Let me know. As for the cross eyed dominate issue. 2 out of 10 people are and it is not a bad thing with handguns. Bummer for scoped rifle shooters. As far as keeping both eyes open while shooting, only about 1% of the population can do that. When I shoot with both eyes open I have an even more target rich environment because I see double.

Sometimes I run into a student that cannot determine the dominate eye so I back off and move on to another subject and then I slip them my trick. When talking about the bore and lands and grooves I disassemble a firearm and use a bore light at the feed ramp and I ask all the students in the class to look down the muzzle (of a dissembled gun!) The student will ALWAYS look into the muzzle with the dominate eye! Try it.