Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Long distance precision build

Hi all, so I have been torn on purchasing an ar to have for the home or a long range rifle that I can practice precision shooting with. I know each comes with their own list of fun features. I suppose, naturally, that when someone is new to this they would begin to look at a Remington 700. I am looking for some feedback from you all on what a good base rifle would be for long range practice that would require minimal aftermarket mods. As far as a Remington build, can anyone post some photos and list of mods done of their own setups?

If you get a "base" rifle, you will be upgrading it over time.  

If you want a great base rifle with absolutely the most available upgrades, the R700 is the king of the pile.  There are more mods/stocks/triggers/etc. than I can shake a stick at (I shake a very good stick, BTW).  Most of the aftermarket actions are patterened/spaced to the R700 so that they can take advantage of the huge aftermarket.  

Savage is number two.  Distant, but number two. I have one and love it but I can't even find a 2 stage aftermarket trigger for it.  Keep that in mind when shopping.  However the Savage is a tinkerers gun.  I can change my barrel in 15 minutes which is a pretty cool thing.  

I would serioulsy look at the offerings in 308 simply because there are so many match grade offerings out there at reasonable prices it's tough to beat.  If you want cool and less recoil and can swing the ammo, a 6.5Creed would be my choice.  Both will get you to 1k, the 6.5 with less wind issues.  But, they'll both get you there.  And don't discount the .243.  It's an awesome cartridge that will do everything the others will.  Lots of good loadings out there from the factory as well.

If you reload, the world is your oyster.  It doesn't look like you do, but if you do, consider any cartridge in 6.5 or 6mm.

And don't forget to budget for glass.  It makes the rifle.  And it's not cheap.

Good luck.

Why not get something in the middle, like a long-barreled AR? You can reach out and touch anything as far as youll be shooting at a local NJ Range. For an example of what i mean check out the bushmaster varminter i have on here for sale. No, not trying to sell it to you, as IMO its probably a bit much for what youd want, but look for one with a 20" barrel or so (Have one of those for sale too!). That way its right in the middle. With a good sight you'll be ringing steel @ 200 yards all day long.

• Like 1

I've got a Savage 10FCP-K in .223.  When I was doing my research early-on in my shooting career, I didn't plan to do any real modifications, it was rated very highly for out of the box accuracy, and it certainly is an accurate rifle out of the box.  In that respect, I'm very happy with the purchase.  I've recently been thinking about doing upgrades to the rifle, but there's not a lot out there when compared to a 700, at least that I've found.  If you want a lot of options for upgrades, the Savage is probably not really the rifle to start with.  If you want something good out of the box that you'll keep as-is, a Savage may be a great choice.  I also wish I'd just gone with a .308 for futureproofing instead of only really thinking of ammo costs.

Whatever you do get, don't skimp on glass.  I'm not claiming to have super high end glass on my rifles, most of mine have mid-level Nikon glass, but it would be a shame to see an otherwise good rifle hampered by poor glass. 

Before you buy anything, get and read this book a few times...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/151865472X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Z-vKybYNCESTZ

Will give you a lot of background, and likely guide you on some costly decisions. The author also has a sequel for more advanced shooting coming out, and does a podcast (Going Ballistic).

I actually found a used Remington Model 7 in .308, locally. Pulled the old Leupold scope/mount, tossed on a rail, and have a 4.5-14x Leupold that I will be mounting eventually.

Since you want an AR and also want to shoot precision, have you thought about buying/building an SPR, similar to a MK12? Basically, a precision AR.  I'll come back with more info, I'm short on time, right now.

*Update- sorry for the delay.

For more info on a MK12 SPR, feel ree to browse these links:

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3386

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

(For the record, you don't need to copy the military version, exactly, to have a rifle that performs similar)

Just to reiterate, since you want an AR and also want to do some precision shooting, I think an SPR might be your best choice.  Also, since it's an AR, you can always buy/make another upper to use for true HD/CQB work.  As you know, the AR upper can be pooped off and a new receiver snapped on in minutes, with no hand tools.

There's a great deal on a SA chassis in the market place. You can get a brand new 700 action for about 350 bucks. I don't remember what I paid for my Bartlein blank but it's not expensive. Have Tier one true the action, ream the barrel, assemble and paint. Viola precision rifle.

If it weren't 19 degrees today and I wasn't such a pussy I'd be at CR today blasting away.