AntZ

split off for Para 1911 problems

oldslabsides - Any tips on the Para? My GI Expert jams a lot no matter how much I try to clean it. Sometime the mag just drop down a little bit and cause it fail to feed. I put a Kimber 22 conversion kit on it and it works almost 100% of the time. Now it become my dedicated .22 pistol :D because no one want to take it as a trade in. 1911 fit much better in my hand than Glock. I am also in the market for another 1911, maybe a Kimber. The other day I saw Sacro has some new RockRiver 1911s for about $300 - $400.

I think it is Rock Island. I can not remember exact prices but just remember they are in the $300 and $400 level. I can check out for you Wed evening(Their late day) or you can give them a call (http://www.sarcoinc.com/) But the guns have been there for at least 5 months since the first time I was there. A lot very knowledgable people go there and no one have brought them. I would be caution about it. You can buy one and try it out to see before buying others.

My Para has all kind different jams. The worst one was a unfired one caught in the open and the range guy had to use a screw driver to get it out. Not too bad, sometime it can go through two boxes without jam. The funny things, wolf did not get jamed in it. I tried different mags and it did not help.

AntZ wrote:

oldslabsides - Any tips on the Para?

Sorry to hear about you problems with the Para. As with any troubleshooting you should try and start with the simple and inexpensive solutions first. If you are only getting the FTF problem, it could be caused by the magazine problem you described. The mag dropping down a bit is going to keep the rounds from sliding into the chamber as they will hit the bottom of the feed ramp.

1- The mag problem is first. Buy or borrow some high-quality mags and try them out. Start with ball ammo to start so you don't complicate things. If the problem stops, you could have had some out of spec mags possibly having a deviation in the mag catch slot.

2- The mag catch itself or its spring could also be giving you problems if out of spec or damaged.

That's where I would start. Remember, ball ammo for troubleshooting. If you are running fine, you can start with JHP's or other defense rounds. After these steps, you should look at your recoil spring. Weak or broken will not send your slide into battery hard enough to chamber a round. Slide to frame fit: if it's too tight, it's not easy to slam a round into the chamber.

You also mentioned cleaning. I would recomend a good spray of gunscrubber or brake cleaner on the rails to get any grit out of there. Wipe down with a good quality lubricant/protectant. For the rails, a "Very Light Film" of Shooters Choice, MilTec, etc synthetic grease. There's a dozen out there to choose from. I put it on a cotton swab and run it down the length of the rails. No globs, just a light film.

I think it's time for 1911Fan to chime in. He may have a few more 1911's than me. I wouldn't give up on that Para yet. It may be a simple fix.

FWIW, I had the same problem with my taurus 1911. I borrowed a wilson combat mag and that fixed the problem. The factory taurus mag had VERY slight up and down play in it. I was told this would cause jamming because the cartridge was not fully seated where it should be. Needless to say, I purchased 3 wilson mags and have not had a problem since.

I don't know if you are having the same problem, indeed it's a different gun, maybe a different problem. Just wanted to chime in.

I was also just thinking, that Para comes stock with 8 round mags. Try some good 7-round magazines in it. I know there are some good 8-rounders out there but maybe Mr. Browning liked 7 for a reason. Pistol hold is another thing to look at. A 1911 will show symptoms like you describe if it's limp-wristed or held loosly. Basically, your arm or hand takes up the momentum, not giving a solid foundation to cycle the action. I think I'm out of ideas. Let us know how it works out. Or better yet, get over to one of the ranges when we do an outing. We can all take a look and hopfully figure it out for you.

Thanks very much guys. The two mags came with it are 7 round mags. I tried a sig 8 round mag and it jamed almost every mag. limp-wristed could be a problem. I'll certainly try to see if I can correct that. I am also going see if I can go to the outings. Always want to go, this just gives me one more reason. Thanks again.

I never saw one so I just looked at a picture of one and I am happy to see it has a skeletonized hammer. Hammer bite sucks, The web on my hands are still scarred from that. And other than an extended thumb safety I would not change a thing. It is nice looking