DevsAdvocate

Colt Python... .357 Magnum

They were a popular duty handgun when we still used revolvers. Cost was around $160 for a 6 inch blued version. Many of the guys still have them in mint condition. One of the nicest double action revolvers made, at least in the 70's.

I own a Python 6" Stainless Steel after shooting reload (Bulleyes powder) the trigger gets dirty and hard to move. I have to use brake cleaner to keep shooting. Send it to Colt, do not know what they did, today I have the same problem. The action is very smooth and a great finish. I bought it in 1990 ($670) at Lucianos in Main St Lodi the only place I found it. I prefer the S&W 686 it is more accurate better gun for me.

I own a "few" pythons and in my opinion there is no better factory double action revolver trigger out there. I spoke to the Colt head honcho at the NRA convention in Phoenix and asked him why they do not re-introduce some of those bad boys and he told me that there had been discussion to do so but the tooling is very, very, old and labor intensive. Keep your fingers crossed because S&W just re-introduced some old revolvers so maybe Colt will get the hint!

Anthony

Everybody loves Pythons. The double action trigger pull on them is unparalleled. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer gunsmiths that know how to work on Colt revolvers. They will shoot themselves out of time if you insist on running tons of magnum ammo through them. I would only put 38 special though a Python. I think it can handle them forever. That is one reason I went with my S&W Highway Patrolman and Model 27.

My old man has a one of these Pythons and I've been wanting to shoot it for years. I think he shot it maybe once, he then cleaned it and put her back in the safe. Haven't seen it since and he won't let me touch it without washing my hands first.