CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

It'll get sent back to your local PD.  I've done Jury Duty in New Brunswick - it's not too bad.  

If I can't get off of work to go to court and THATS the reason I get denied, I'm going to sue the absolute shit out of Middlesex with all the aforementioned time that I don't have. 

16 minutes ago, samiam said:

I think JRT previously posted that he is in Absecon. So if you are elsewhere in Atlantic County, it could indeed be foockery on the part of his local PD. RIght now I'm glad that, while Atlantic and Cape May Counties share a court building, they don't share judges or judges' staffs.

Yes, I am elsewhere. I wasn’t aware we shared a court building. Atlantic City?

14 minutes ago, samiam said:

Well, I'll be damned (foregone conclusion, according to my wife). The two courts share a web page, but that is all. I had assumed a correlation between the web pages and physical plants. Looks like they shortchanged us down here on web pages, just because (typical attitude toward South Jersey by the rest of the state :) Anyway, Atlantic County Civil Court is in Atlantic City, Criminal Court (I belive these are the judges who process carry permits) is on Unami Blvd in Mays Landing, probably in the complex with the Sheriff's Office, etc.

New Jersey Courts - Atlantic/Cape May County Vicinages

I'll be going to Cape May Court House, if required.

Says Michael Blee is the assignment judge. For both cape may and Atlantic 

Update from Middlesex County!

I called the Middlesex County Superior Court and my PD this morning after seeing that my money order was still not cashed. The court clerk told me that they do not have my application and my name does not appear anywhere. She stated that they are overloaded with carry applications and that the judge has not signed off any applications. It sounded from our brief conversation that there is no date or timeframe for the judge to even begin looking at these applications. I then called my PD who told me that indeed my application was signed off and sent to the court weeks ago!!! How's that for some crazy SHIT!!  The court clerk did take my number down to call me back on the chance they found my application. If your in Middlesex, you can forget a smooth and speedy issuance of your carry permit. So, which attorney should I go with? I'm thinking Jef Henninger or Dan Schmutter. :mad:

• Informative 1
  • Confused 1
  • FacePalm 1

7 minutes ago, marlintag said:

I called the Middlesex County Superior Court and my PD this morning after seeing that my money order was still not cashed. The court clerk told me that they do not have my application and my name does not appear anywhere. She stated that they are overloaded with carry applications and that the judge has not signed off any applications. It sounded from our brief conversation that there is no date or timeframe for the judge to even begin looking at these applications. I then called my PD who told me that indeed my application was signed off and sent to the court weeks ago!!! How's that for some crazy SHIT!!  The court clerk did take my number down to call me back on the chance they found my application. If your in Middlesex, you can forget a smooth and speedy issuance of your carry permit. So, which attorney should I go with? I'm thinking Jef Henninger or Dan Schmutter. :mad:

I think Dan may be the one to go to here...

• Agree 1

I don't know about the rest of my fellow shore folk but I have become completely deflated after seeing #11 on the monmouth and ocean county court orders that are now being given out.. I have been pretty optimistic up until this point and I just can't get over the fact that we have to sit here and take this until it gets dragged through the courts and changed. They have literally given us or are giving us a useless permit to carry and I don't know what to do or feel about it.

Not to mention the ~$1k I've put out for application, qualification, sub compact pistol etc etc

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

I don't know about the rest of my fellow shore folk but I have become completely deflated after seeing #11 on the monmouth and ocean county court orders that are now being given out.. I have been pretty optimistic up until this point and I just can't get over the fact that we have to sit here and take this until it gets dragged through the courts and changed. They have literally given us or are giving us a useless permit to carry and I don't know what to do or feel about it.

Not to mention the ~$1k I've put out for application, qualification, sub compact pistol etc etc

When I put the approximate application cost tally a few pages back, I purposely left the cost of gun off because nobody requires you to buy a new gun. We do that because we want to.

However, after I watched that dude's video, that order is possibly given specifically to him as payback for filing a suit. Even if other's permits are coming with that, you should still apply and obtain one. In legalese, the "harm" hasn't occurred until you've received unwarranted restrictions like that. The more people "harmed", the better it is for the suit that I can only certainly imagine will come from this.

It IS a denial of rights, hands down. Much in the way that New Jersey was "may issue" even though in reality it was "no issue". In this way, they can say "we don't deny 2A rights" but of course in practice the state did and is walking a fine line in trying to continue denial of those rights.

38 minutes ago, marlintag said:

This isn't our fucking problem. They decided this is how it was going to be.

20 minutes ago, g17owner said:

When I put the approximate application cost tally a few pages back, I purposely left the cost of gun off because nobody requires you to buy a new gun. We do that because we want to.

However, after I watched that dude's video, that order is possibly given specifically to him as payback for filing a suit. Even if other's permits are coming with that, you should still apply and obtain one. In legalese, the "harm" hasn't occurred until you've received unwarranted restrictions like that. The more people "harmed", the better it is for the suit that I can only certainly imagine will come from this.

It IS a denial of rights, hands down. Much in the way that New Jersey was "may issue" even though in reality it was "no issue". In this way, they can say "we don't deny 2A rights" but of course in practice the state did and is walking a fine line in trying to continue denial of those rights.

My "Pay back" would be not to follow that order at all. Good luck having probable cause to search me inside my vehicle. I'm not loading/unloading my gun in parking lots. 

2 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

My "Pay back" would be not to follow that order at all. Good luck having probable cause to search me inside my vehicle. I'm not loading/unloading my gun in parking lots. 

Its funny that you propose that scenario, I was talking to my neighbor last night and he is a Detective in a neighboring town and he does the processing of firearms apps for them.  When talking about the the whole serial numbers issue he goes "And how do I verify that"  if he asks to see my firearm to check I can just say no.  And unless he arrests me and has probable cause there is nothing he can do to verify that firearm matches.  But I am not going to put that to the test for now...just food for thought.

4 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Its funny that you propose that scenario, I was talking to my neighbor last night and he is a Detective in a neighboring town and he does the processing of firearms apps for them.  When talking about the the whole serial numbers issue he goes "And how do I verify that"  if he asks to see my firearm to check I can just say no.  And unless he arrests me and has probable cause there is nothing he can do to verify that firearm matches.  But I am not going to put that to the test for now...just food for thought.

My brother is a police officer and said similar which is why I mentioned it. 

48 minutes ago, marlintag said:

40 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I think Dan may be the one to go to here...

I'll be calling shortly...I am giving them time to "find" my application......

10 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

This isn't our fucking problem. They decided this is how it was going to be.

Exactly, through incompetence or malicious intent they will likely force us to take legal action to get our permits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

Unreal.

So to address the "overload" the judge isn't doing his/her job of signing off on the application and just letting the backlog grow?

Senseless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

So what’s the deal with Sussex county? Anyone get a permit up here? My money order cashed 2 weeks ago, you’d think I’d have heard something by now?

PD said my app was sent to court on monday.

MO not cashed yet. i did call the court but of course no one answered so i left a voicemail.

33 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Unreal.

So to address the "overload" the judge isn't doing his/her job of signing off on the application and just letting the backlog grow?

Senseless.

Yes. I just called the ANJRPC Strikeforce, someone should be calling back hopefully today. 

45 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yes, you are correct, good catch. There is apparently one head administrator for both courts, as well. Judges (and presumably their clerks) however, seem to be listed by county, at least for civil and criminal divisions. Oddly, the municipal and family divisions list judge(s) for Atlantic County only. I guess I'll need to wait and see what develops. 

New Jersey Courts - Atlantic and Cape May County Vicinages - Judges Contact Directory

Somebody should check the incinerator in the courthouse basement...

The incinerator, the garbage out back, maybe they dropped it into a lake or landfill. 

55 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yes, you are correct, good catch. There is apparently one head administrator for both courts, as well. Judges (and presumably their clerks) however, seem to be listed by county, at least for civil and criminal divisions. Oddly, the municipal and family divisions list judge(s) for Atlantic County only. I guess I'll need to wait and see what develops. 

New Jersey Courts - Atlantic and Cape May County Vicinages - Judges Contact Directory

Somebody should check the incinerator in the courthouse basement...

Michael Blee is located in Atlantic City. Don’t have a good feeling about that. Do I even want to make an attempt at calling there to find out what’s going on with my application 

27 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Michael Blee is located in Atlantic City. Don’t have a good feeling about that. Do I even want to make an attempt at calling there to find out what’s going on with my application 

So I just called the Atlantic County Court, spoke with the clerk for Michael blee. Apparently he is not the one that is handling the applications. It is Judge Milena Michaelidas. No idea if I spelled the last name correctly. I can’t find her name or anything close to her name in the directory anywhere, but the clerk was pretty helpful and gave me her extension so I’ll be calling

47 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

So I just called the Atlantic County Court, spoke with the clerk for Michael blee. Apparently he is not the one that is handling the applications. It is Judge Milena Michaelidas. No idea if I spelled the last name correctly. I can’t find her name or anything close to her name in the directory anywhere, but the clerk was pretty helpful and gave me her extension so I’ll be calling

Wow, I’m actually really blown away at how nice and helpful this lady was. She’s actually not a judge, she’s an administrative assistant for the judge. She found my application and is processing it now. Judge Darcy will be the one signing off for Atlantic county. From what she tells me the judge is supposed to be having a meeting with the prosecutor on how to proceed with this. I didn’t want to be rude or say anything but what’s this all about? How to proceed? The judge is supposed to just approve it. This lady also told me she is the only one processing all the applications from Atlantic county. She has stacks and stacks of applications and more coming in everyday. She can not keep up. 

13 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Wow, I’m actually really blown away at how nice and helpful this lady was. She’s actually not a judge, she’s an administrative assistant for the judge. She found my application and is processing it now. Judge Darcy will be the one signing off for Atlantic county. From what she tells me the judge is supposed to be having a meeting with the prosecutor on how to proceed with this. I didn’t want to be rude or say anything but what’s this all about? How to proceed? The judge is supposed to just approve it. This lady also told me she is the only one processing all the applications from Atlantic county. She has stacks and stacks of applications and more coming in everyday. She can not keep up. 

Congrats! I'm glad they "found" yours.

3 hours ago, Lostboy said:

I would think that loading/unloading a firearm in a publicly visible area is probable cause for a search at minimum, not to mention could get you a nervous cop with a pistol aimed at you.

• Agree 1