usnmars

What is with all of the ar stuff?

It is kinda getting annoying looking in the rifle forum, here and on other boards, and seeing ar-this, ar-that. It is almost turning into ar forums. I know i am going to get flak for saying this, but come on. There are other rifles out there too. I carried the 16 in the military(not too long ago, so dont tell me they fixed the problems since vietnam) and really wasn't that impressed, if not disgusted. What is with society's current obsession with these things?

It is kinda getting annoying looking in the rifle forum, here and on other boards, and seeing ar-this, ar-that. It is almost turning into ar forums. I know i am going to get flak for saying this, but come on. There are other rifles out there too. I carried the 16 in the military(not too long ago, so dont tell me they fixed the problems since vietnam) and really wasn't that impressed, if not disgusted. What is with society's current obsession with these things?

Agree with you on this. But which semi-auto rifle that legal in NJ at reasonable price people can get that impresses you?

I agree with the fact that ARs are dominating (reason why I think the addition of the AR sub section was a good idea), but I have to say I like the platform. When I was downrange, I had mine out every day (unlike some folk who never really step out of the wire), and never had an issues with jams or anything. Just some TLC and maintenance, and Arielle (I miss her :( ) treated me right. There was one occasion where an M4 blew up in my hands, but that wasn't operator or rifle error-- it happened to get shot. Fortunately, Arielle had a twin sister at home waiting! ;)

Well you cant go wrong with a garand, great all around rifle right there. The m1a, a 14 would be nice but but a m1a would work well. I have seen more problems with a 16 when the feces has hit the fan. Everything from failure to fires, failure to feeds, and even stuck casings in the chamber. when i was in the field i was always with a marine security detail, and every one of them hated the 16. I am obsessive compulsive admittedly when it comes to cleaning my firearms, and even mine would jam in the sandy environment. For me personally it seems to lack the stopping power and reliability. I have seen "enemy combatants" have to be hit several times with the 223, where the guys with the 14(7.62x51) always had em go down no matter where they hit em.

as far as my personal interest carry me there are only two semi automatic rifles that i really have a ton of interest in..

that is an AK variant which i have in the Saigas..

and then the AR platform which is why i have the S&W..

if you hunt or do other things then i imagine your selection would show more diversity.. but i just like to shoot target and those are they rifles i find most enjoyable while still being reliable..

You can look on Accuratereloading.com they have lots of different rifle forums, big bores , lever , single shot , medium bore , small bore, modern military , ect.

Some of the members on that forum can get downright hostile so proceed with caution.

Sorry i just got a little fired up at the range yesterday. I was out with my m1 and 1903 shooting for accuracy, when a group of about 10 ar guys showed up. They proceeded to mock me for shooting "antiques that could blow up in my face at any time." I told them that these two rifles are probabally the most reliable ever built, and I was just out having fun. They then began to school me that i was "poor and couldn't afford a real mans rifle." That is when i went off because i couldn't believe my ears. I was just out having fun, and these guys just ruined my day.

Their targets looked like they weren't even aiming. If they were, they were horrible shots. I was shooting consistant 2" groups and their targets looked like a shotgun with buck shot.

Some people are just as*holes. Don't let it ruin your fun.

When I used to shoot (photograph) weddings, every once in a while some moron guest would come up to me, telling me he had the same (or better, newer, more expensive) equipment as I was using, and how he could do my job better and cheaper, blah, blah,. My standard response was "Well, that may be so, but I own a couple of hammers, and that doesn't make me a carpenter." They shut up after that.

Just be comfortable knowing that you can outshoot them, and that you're not an obnoxious prick.

K

Sorry i just got a little fired up at the range yesterday. I was out with my m1 and 1903 shooting for accuracy, when a group of about 10 ar guys showed up. They proceeded to mock me for shooting "antiques that could blow up in my face at any time." I told them that these two rifles are probabally the most reliable ever built, and I was just out having fun. They then began to school me that i was "poor and couldn't afford a real mans rifle." That is when i went off because i couldn't believe my ears. I was just out having fun, and these guys just ruined my day.

That would annoy me beyond belief. Really smart to start a problem at a f*cking gun range. People like that should be stripped of their firearms.

Sorry you had to deal with ARsholes. We're not all like that.

I'm not really into AR's, but I think they are a part of firearms history and here to stay. It is what you make of it.

I had a somewhat similar, although the guy was pretty nice.

I was shooting my K-31 with clamp on scope mount and a guy from my club shows up with a custom built target AR, He was explaining to me all the stuff he did to it, and in my head I was adding up the prices.. I think it came out to around $3500..

Anyways.. he was explaining how on a good day he can get sub-moa out of it and yadda yadda yadda.

I'n my head, I'm laughing because I just shot a 1 MOA group with a high power rifle cartridge (similar to .308).. out of a $300 62 year old gun with a $100 scope on it.

We actually shot each other's guns and it was nice, but just not my cup of tea.

There really is something special about shooting an old military gun that kicks you in the shoulder like a mule and you think about who carried it, and who they might have had to shoot at.

But then on the other hand, some people don't care for that and want an AR. Just make the best of it and do what you want :D

There really is something special about shooting an old military gun that kicks you in the shoulder like a mule and you think about who carried it, and who they might have had to shoot at.

But then on the other hand, some people don't care for that and want an AR. Just make the best of it and do what you want :D

I like both, just haven't found an old military rifle...yet.

Seems like you unfortunately ran into a group of morons. Not all AR owners (yes, I am one) are pricks :) That's not to say I'm not a prick - I am.. but it has nothing to do with my AR :lol: Seriously tho, ARs have their place, as do Garands and 1903s and any numbers of other rifles. A Garand is definitely in my future. I think most of us would agree, that if money was not an issue, we'd all have tons of different rifles just for the sake of having them.

Well you cant go wrong with a garand, great all around rifle right there. The m1a, a 14 would be nice but but a m1a would work well. I have seen more problems with a 16 when the feces has hit the fan. Everything from failure to fires, failure to feeds, and even stuck casings in the chamber. when i was in the field i was always with a marine security detail, and every one of them hated the 16. I am obsessive compulsive admittedly when it comes to cleaning my firearms, and even mine would jam in the sandy environment. For me personally it seems to lack the stopping power and reliability. I have seen "enemy combatants" have to be hit several times with the 223, where the guys with the 14(7.62x51) always had em go down no matter where they hit em.

M1A's can be customized almost as much as AR's nowadays if fitted in the right stock. My Troy will take just about every AR accessory out there, and will run regardless of mud, moisture, and sand. Plus the AR guys at the range always ask "What the hell is that??" whenever I'm shooting it, probably because they can't concentrate when I'm letting all hell loose.