Mrs. Peel

Happy Father's Day!!

Goodness! With so many dads and expectant dads in this community, we really can't let this holiday slide by, can we? 

My dear dad has been gone a few years now, but there's not a day that passes that I don't think of him. He was the best - intelligent, multifaceted (a true Renaissance Man), strong, a steady provider, a devoted husband & dad, reliable as the day is long - IMO, he modeled what a man should be every day of his life.

Fathers are so very important! Not only do those of us who had good dads present in our lives understand this intuitively and through our life experience, but even the science backs it up! In households without a dad present, boys are more likely to drop out of school, join a gang, get arrested... girls, meanwhile, are more likely to (also) drop out of school, be sexually abused, end up as pregnant unmarried teens, etc. A good dad stands as a quiet sentinel in a family - keeping trouble at bay.  In a day and age where we hear ad hominem attacks on "toxic masculinity", and men, frankly, get trashed right and left on social media... I think it's appropriate that we acknowledge how much good men actually bring to the table. Father's Day is a great day to do that. So...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!  

If your dad is still with us and tried his best to be a good dad, I hope you either spent some time with him today or gave him a call (and the day is young, it's not too late). And if your dad is no longer with us, then send him your good thoughts in Heaven. I know he'll hear you.

• Like 7