Pizza Bob

Non-Hollowpoint? (Long)

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

The primer is the one variable we have no control over.  I use only CCI primers and I am a maniac about where and how they are stored! That's the best anyone can do since factory ammo primers are also not tested either before seating every bullet!

Commercial manufacturers don't claim their ammo can never malfunction. 

9 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Been reloading since 1974.  Never had a primer not go off.  No need to test them...even if there was a test.

It can and does happen. The chance of contamination isn't restricted to the the last person to handle them. I'm happy you've been lucky enough to avoid the problem. 

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

From where?!

Bud's  https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411555548/hornady+90235le+critical+duty+9mm+135gr+flexlock+50ct+box

I should have added you do have to qualify to purchase. They had my DD214 so no issues. Great price though!

34 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

don't care much for these rubber tipped rounds....they attract dirt in the magazine and the rubber gets dirty, and the rubber wears / rubs if your carrying the mag in pocket.....could affect loading port delivery.....omo.

Here's the Hornaday Critical Defense rounds I've been cycling in and out of of my G26 and G19 mags for home and PTC carry for the last ~4 years.  I unload them from the mag in so I can load FMJ's for range sessions, usually onto my bed comforter, and then put them in a dish on the dresser. 

They've fallen on the floor and rolled into the under bed dust bunnies a bunch of times.  I've carried them loaded in a mag in my pocket a bunch of times. 

I carry with a round in the chamber, so they've all been chambered a bunch of times.

Never an issue.  I don't think the rubber/polymer/whatever tip actually contacts the feed ramp, but maybe I'll do a close up video of a slow chambering to check.  The tips definitely collected carbon residue, but they're not  looking like they're packed with feeding or chambering inhibiting detritus to my eyes.

I probably should fire these off my next range trip and cycle new ones in.

VzKScOR.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

and those are the ones from your mag..they were red at one time....carbon as you say....mine look rubbed and dirty from my pocket....I've noticed the rubber attracts junk......omo....switched to something else.

Not one feeding/chambering hangup in all the times they've been handled and re-chambered.

I WILL fire these off on my next range trip and report back.

7 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Not one feeding/chambering hangup in all the times they've been handled and re-chambered.

I WILL fire these off on my next range trip and report back.

Before you fire them, please check for bullet setback if they have been chambered multiple times.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Bud's  https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411555548/hornady+90235le+critical+duty+9mm+135gr+flexlock+50ct+box

I should have added you do have to qualify to purchase. They had my DD214 so no issues. Great price though!

That's a good price, but I'm not eligible. Sorta like Orwell's 1984, "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

13 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

don't care much for these rubber tipped rounds....they attract dirt in the magazine and the rubber gets dirty, and the rubber wears / rubs if your carrying the mag in pocket.....could affect loading port delivery.....omo.

Carry your mag in a mag pouch.  

• Agree 1

On 4/8/2024 at 1:06 PM, xXxplosive said:

anyone carrying any of the non-hollow cavity / Solid copper monolythic rounds like Underwood or Ft. Scott........checking my options.

I carry Underwood Extreme Defender for a short barrel micro .380.  Based on reviews on different ammo types for my specific gun, this was suggested as the recommended ammo as most HP will not expand in a .short barrel .380.  This gets you the penetration you need but also provides a large wound tract (compared to other options for my gun).    

9mm-luger-90-grain-xtreme-defender-platinum-edition-sku-875__66135.1669230539.jpg?c=1

https://underwoodammo.com/380-acp-68gr.-xtreme-defender-platinum-edition-solid-monolithic-hunting-self-defense-ammo/

On 4/11/2024 at 8:02 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Here's the Hornaday Critical Defense rounds I've been cycling in and out of of my G26 and G19 mags for home and PTC carry for the last ~4 years.  I unload them from the mag in so I can load FMJ's for range sessions, usually onto my bed comforter, and then put them in a dish on the dresser. 

They've fallen on the floor and rolled into the under bed dust bunnies a bunch of times.  I've carried them loaded in a mag in my pocket a bunch of times. 

I carry with a round in the chamber, so they've all been chambered a bunch of times.

Never an issue.  I don't think the rubber/polymer/whatever tip actually contacts the feed ramp, but maybe I'll do a close up video of a slow chambering to check.  The tips definitely collected carbon residue, but they're not  looking like they're packed with feeding or chambering inhibiting detritus to my eyes.

I probably should fire these off my next range trip and cycle new ones in.

VzKScOR.jpeg

I did this for about a year and a half in my EDC.  I noticed that some of them had bullet setback.  They were pushed so far back that you could not see the crimp marks anymore.  I disposed of those and then shot the rest at the range with no issues at all.  I'll probably do this once a year from now on and just buy a new box to replace them.  $25/year isn't so bad for piece of mind.