If you hire an attorney to fight a government that is doing something illegal, you should not have any harm done to you since they were wrong.  So...they (the party that was wrong) should be forced to pay your legal expenses - since you wouldn't have had any legal expenses if the other party hadn't done something illegal. 

So, you hire the attorney to fight your case at your expense.  But when you win, the other party can be forced to pay your attorney instead.

15 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

If you hire an attorney to fight a government that is doing something illegal, you should not have any harm done to you since they were wrong.  So...they (the party that was wrong) should be forced to pay your legal expenses - since you wouldn't have had any legal expenses if the other party hadn't done something illegal. 

So, you hire the attorney to fight your case at your expense.  But when you win, the other party can be forced to pay your attorney instead.

If you read the news article in my previous post it's apparently up to the judge.

19 hours ago, brucin said:

No I imagine they charge a fee that is the bare minimum and then expect to collect a market average for their services from the losing party..

Here is a news story that says the attorneys only got 1/3 of what they were owed. The donations will most likely make up the other 2'3.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-orders-new-york-dole-out-nearly-half-million-legal-fees-nra-supreme-court-victory

That would explain the orgs soliciting additional donations. It does not explain to me with any degree of persuasion why those orgs would completely decline pursue what appears to be (so far as such a thing exists in the legal world) a straight line solution to making the gun control perps personally accountable for their 2A violations. Which was my original question. It is, in fact, no more persuasive to me than the idea that at least some of the movers and shakers in the 2A advocacy world do not want a real solution, as their positions are only assured so long as the problem persists (same as for elected politicians). I also wonder if some of the high priced lawyers utilized by the orgs aren't entirely too collegial with their attorney adversaries.

Wife tells me this morning she heard that our Governor intends to raise permit fees again according to his new budget......any comments.

Hiking gun permit fees

Murphy has repeatedly called for raising licensing fees and imposing higher taxes on guns and ammunition, though the idea has been nixed from past budgets. His new proposal renews the push, though Murphy’s administration has not said how much the new fee would be.

The administration did say the move would bring the state about $4 million a year.

This morning NJ.com says:

Gun permit costs would double in N.J. under Murphy’s budget plan

However they provided no specifics. You know, like $50 for a P2P, or $400 for CCW.

• FacePalm 1