223lover

Are all Rugers Mini-14's?

Here in NJ we use the PC term, "Ranch Rifle".

Only the folding stock and flash hider model are forbidden.

Now PK, the "Ranch Rifle" is a type of Mini 14. I believe there was/is a version in the 30 as well. The Ranch having the scope ring rails milled into the receiver. And the furniture set screws are absent.

They're one of the few ban proof auto loaders out there. In it's basic configuration that is. And remember, they heat up REAL fast. And chances are that you are more accurate than the rifle.

Here are the things about mini 14:

1) The new 5802 series has thicker barrel so it is more accurate than the old 5801 series when the barrel gets hot

2) It takes wolf ammo without any problem

3) A scope will sometime knock a shell back into the gun causing a jam.

4) Here is a link where mini 14 junkies hang out

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

As usual, thank you for all the insight! i always loved the look of the "Ranch Rifle" but havent seen many of them, in fact never saw one until yesterday. And just as an aside, Arms & Ammo you guys rock! It is so great being part of this group and being treated as an adult. If you are not sure what I mean, try shopping at Ramsey and ask to look at a hand gun, they make you feel like you just asked if you can borrow his wife.

Glad I ran into this thread - I always wanted a Mini-14... err Ranch Rifle, but thought they were a no-no here. It's silly, but, I grew up watching the A-Team, and used to think the 14s were the coolest thing since sliced bread :lol:

Now, if only someone made some 15 round mags for it ;)