Col. Mortimer

2x4 Cutting Match at Cherry Ridge, Saturday, 8/22/09

Could you explain what this match is for us newbies? Type of guns used, ammo, distance etc. Thanks

There are two teams of two shooters each shoot at two stakes (one stake per team) of 2" x 4" lumber. The first team to shoot their stake in two wins.

Weapons: Semi-automatic pistol is the most common. Preferred caliber is .45ACP but .40S&W and even 9mm are used. There are also revolver matches. There may even be .22 matches with 1"x2"s.

Distance: Approximately 30 feet.

Requirements: Pistol, at least four magazines (if you don't have enough, I am sure you can borrow some) and lots of ammo. The number of rounds per match is usually around 20 to 30 depending on what you shoot, how well you shoot and how fast you shoot.

We welcome newbies and have lots of fun. You do not have to be a member of Cherry Ridge. I know ammo is expensive and hard to find right now so pace yourself and bring as much ammo as you can spare. What else are you going to do with it? Besides, puching holes in paper gets boring.

Here is what a match looks like:

DSC07667.jpg

That's a great idea. I may steal it for our club. :lol:

If you watch the video here

http://www.impactguns.com/store/

They were doing the 4X4 . Pistols against machine guns.

It just goes to show, you don't have to shoot a huge amount of ammunition. Well placed shoots are the key to cutting a stake.

How many rounds typically before it's cut?

Anyone use a large magnum round? I'd imagine a 44 mag hollow point would expand nicely and go right through.

The round counts vary depending on the skills of the shooters, but in general 25 to 50 per shooter. The 2x4s don't seem to have enough mass to expand a hollow point. The faster rounds seem to do less cutting than slower rounds. Add to that the heavy recoil of a magnum and the magnums are just not the right tool for cutting a board. You would do much better with a .44 Special or a downloaded .44 Magnum with a SWC. The good thing about revolvers is you can use a soft load with 100% function.