Melgamatic

New NJ FID card - maybe coming

I have to get fingerprinted every three years. WHY? It just doesn't make sense.

Everyone knows your fingerprints change every few years. That's why the keep massive databases of fingerprints forever. That way they can match fingerprints to crimes done years earlier with no hope of ever identifying the perp. Wait, what?

. Mind you, the CAC card that is currently issued to personnel is the same ID that was considered for the National ID motion that was shot down by the Dems.

Actually, preventing a national ID card is more of a conservative cause. A national ID card, mandatory papers, etc, is exactly what living in a free country is supposed to prevent. Fighting for our privacy, or at least having the federal govt not in every tiny corner of our lives is a patriotic cause, not a rep or dem issue. I remember the debates about these proposals, and I believe there was pretty good agreement across the aisles. If anything, republicans did the right thing and voted more against it...

n.j. might set a precedent on id - remember florio gave us an assault rifle ban four years before the feds + ours is still in effect -

Okay....For one thing,fingerprints don't change...they are the same for the rest of your life, unless you do the acid treatment like in the movies. Second of all, this opens up a whole new can of worms for the individual towns, and their lame, politically appointed, Captains of Police, to charge whatever they want for re-application. Everything you have, in terms of info, is already on file. Prints and all. The number that was issued you, on your ID card is yours for life. It looks like all they are looking for is more income. If they want to issue new , sturdy, ID cards,

fine. Issue them, but not on my expense. Besides, if they all believe in the computer system,

check the person out. No crime..no arreset...issue the card.

Here's an intelligent solution! Let's use drivers licenses! If you want to be a registered gun owner, then you pay a little extra and the license will say "Firearms Purchases Approved"... or something like that. You also get fingerprinted as well.

Oh wait, that makes too much goddamn sense. Simple NJ politicians brains can't... understand... it.

Here's an intelligent solution! Let's use drivers licenses! If you want to be a registered gun owner, then you pay a little extra and the license will say "Firearms Purchases Approved"... or something like that. You also get fingerprinted as well.

Oh wait, that makes too much goddamn sense. Simple NJ politicians brains can't... understand... it.

Or.. we can just use our regular driver's licenses like the rest of the country!!

Or.. we can just use our regular driver's licenses like the rest of the country!!

Now that's just silly... Treating NJ citizens like the rest of the country? Please. How else will the politicians gouge us for money?

Now that's just silly... Treating NJ citizens like the rest of the country? Please. How else will the politicians gouge us for money?

Yeah.. after all NICS does all the same stuff our FPID's do (prove we're not criminals or psychos) and it only takes 30 seconds! :roll: The whole FPID thing is a scam to fill their coffers and get our finger prints.

I've been thinking this for years.... It could be an endorsement to the license just like a motorcycle or boat endorsement. When you move its a simple address change. And wow it would have a picture too instead of a useless fingerprint. Makes too much sense though.

this whole discusion makes me sad :cry: I am one day doomed to get all excited for crumbs? You guys are being offered a glass of diarrhea instead of a paper bag full of shit. Tell these people "NO! We are not animals, we are not savages! We are Americans and demand to be treated as such!"

Those of you against it for the most part seem to be against it because it doesn't fit your personal gun buying needs and those for it are only for it because they personally think the new set of horrible restrictions are better than the last set.

When asked about the new ID card voice that you already have one that you think would work great and pull out your drivers license!

I hope this will still be a purchaser card and not a possession card.

I agree, that is a big concern. It's hard not to be suspect over any changes in the current system, nobody wants to be setup for a slam-dunk by the anti-2A legislators. I wonder if this new system, the card is just part of it, would mean handgun sale records would go directly to the NJSP and not be kept locally anymore. The obvious benefit would be a level playing field for all applicants and not such a variety of wait times....I guess. Lots of questions though. BTW, I imagine if they used DL's they would have to provide some other ID for non-drivers?

completely against it - ask the people in canada , europe + australia what happens when they have to renew their license -

This is my biggest concern too. By having a provision in there to "renew/reapply" every five, leaves the powers-to-be with the ability to increase restrictions and governance over the approval process. This could eventually allow an avenue to limit our rights in the future.

Right now our existing PFID does not have that limitation because it is for life.

On the flip side, I think it is completely unfair and burdensome on law abiding citizens to make us go through this ludicrious permitting process that we have in place now. Look at some of the other threads about that issue. Some of us are waiting 6, 8, 10 months for a permit?!?!? That is infuriating if not a blatant infringment of our rights.

It's hard not to be suspect over any changes in the current system, nobody wants to be setup for a slam-dunk by the anti-2A legislators.

Seriously good point! When's the last time the State Police or legislature of this State did anything to benefit gun owners? How can we not be suspicious of their intentions?

I'd like to know more details before I render a final decision.

MSax

Also here's another question no one has seemed to ask yet: Will existing FPID's be grandfathered into the new system or will they have to re-apply and go through the whole application process all over again? Because it'll really suck if the new system doesn't address the whole priority issue we deal with now which means if you're forced to re-apply for it you could end up waiting another 3 months to a year to get your new card.

What they'll probably do is introduce the new cards and they are optional for the first year or so. While you wait on the new one, you can use your old one.

That however makes too much sense. My guess is that when you apply, you surrender the old one and 90-270 days later, you get the new one.

Meanwhile during that 90 - 270 days you can be deemed a criminal for possessing firearms you legally purchased with the old card while waiting on the new one.

No, because the original permit would be valid until the new one was issued.

This is my biggest concern too. By having a provision in there to "renew/reapply" every five, leaves the powers-to-be with the ability to increase restrictions and governance over the approval process. This could eventually allow an avenue to limit our rights in the future.

Right now our existing PFID does not have that limitation because it is for life.

+1000

Second of all, this opens up a whole new can of worms for the individual towns, and their lame, politically appointed, Captains of Police, to charge whatever they want for re-application.

Vertually every fee in the state is governed by state statutes or AG guidelines. Few if any are open to the whimes of the town. Much of that was the result of the OPRA laws that came into effect a few years back. If what you say were true, don't you think that each PP would be more than two dollars? They cost much more than that to process.

Also here's another question no one has seemed to ask yet: Will existing FPID's be grandfathered into the new system or will they have to re-apply and go through the whole application process all over again? Because it'll really suck if the new system doesn't address the whole priority issue we deal with now which means if you're forced to re-apply for it you could end up waiting another 3 months to a year to get your new card.

What they'll probably do is introduce the new cards and they are optional for the first year or so. While you wait on the new one, you can use your old one.

That however makes too much sense. My guess is that when you apply, you surrender the old one and 90-270 days later, you get the new one.

Never surrender your old card, it NEVER expires.

You can turn it in WHEN you receive your new one, not one minute before.

Of course, that is only one problem with this plan. it's another tax thrust upon us. If you fail to renew it, you are now a criminal. And they will know you are one because I can guarantee their system will alert them to FIDs that are overdue for renewal. As stated, what happens to private sales, and private sales with OGAM in place. How long will the renewal process take. Will it be a possession, or purchase id card. Will it be needed to purchase ANY ammo. who will set the cost, and how often will that cost increase every time there is a financial "crisis" in the state.

I think I'll stick with the one I already have. it's paid for, never expires, & laminated.

I'm not paying ANOTHER TAX to exercise what I have left of my constitutional rights any damn more.

I think the NJSP is trying to replace the FID with a system that will survive incorporation of Heller. It still wouldn't be constitutional because the twisted legal basis for the entire FID system abrogates the Second Amendment. But if they're going to do this, I'd want the following:

• [*:3p2utlie]30 days to approve or deny the card, and 30 days means 30 days for the police, the same as it does for us. Not 270, not 180, not even 31. Approval becomes automatic on day 30.
    [*:3p2utlie]No expiration on the card. The current FID doesn't expire, so this new thing shouldn't either.
    [*:3p2utlie]No extra reasons for denial above what's on Form 4473.
    [*:3p2utlie]None of extra documentation requirements that local police departments have been fond of imposing. No statements from family, no affidavits from friends, no extra bureaucratic obstacles that serve no purpose except to humiliate law-abiding citizens.

I have nothing to hide, but I want to be treated with the respect that's due me.

- NF

I think the NJSP is trying to replace the FID with a system that will survive incorporation of Heller. It still wouldn't be constitutional because the twisted legal basis for the entire FID system abrogates the Second Amendment. But if they're going to do this, I'd want the following:

• [*:2fr2oo1o]30 days to approve or deny the card, and 30 days means 30 days for the police, the same as it does for us. Not 270, not 180, not even 31. Approval becomes automatic on day 30.
    [*:2fr2oo1o]No expiration on the card. The current FID doesn't expire, so this new thing shouldn't either.
    [*:2fr2oo1o]No extra reasons for denial above what's on Form 4473.
    [*:2fr2oo1o]None of extra documentation requirements that local police departments have been fond of imposing. No statements from family, no affidavits from friends, no extra bureaucratic obstacles that serve no purpose except to humiliate law-abiding citizens.

I have nothing to hide, but I want to be treated with the respect that's due me.

- NF

Amen Brother

Is there any problem with laminating my current FID card?

I remember hearing about someone laminating a receipt and it turned black under the laminating heat (heat-sensitive paper). I don't want to have my card ruined from wear or accidentally ruined in a laminating machine.

Do any municipalities, stores, ranges, etc reject laminated cards because the state did not issue it that way?

Is there any problem with laminating my current FID card?

I remember hearing about someone laminating a receipt and it turned black under the laminating heat (heat-sensitive paper). I don't want to have my card ruined from wear or accidentally ruined in a laminating machine.

Do any municipalities, stores, ranges, etc reject laminated cards because the state did not issue it that way?

I've never had a problem with my frazzled card that's been laminated two times over already.