Scottcba1

Rust???

I cleaned my Ruger SR9 last week and packed it away in the safe with a nice thin layer of rust protection spray. When I went in the safe today I opened the case to check everything out and found that the gun looks great but my two original magazines have spotty surface rust on them!

I know your not suppose to oil the magazines because of possible jams and misfires but what and how do you guys clean and protect your magazines?

-Scott

I cleaned my Ruger SR9 last week and packed it away in the safe with a nice thin layer of rust protection spray. When I went in the safe today I opened the case to check everything out and found that the gun looks great but my two original magazines have spotty surface rust on them!

I know your not suppose to oil the magazines because of possible jams and misfires but what and how do you guys clean and protect your magazines?

-Scott

Complete nonsense! Also if they're in a safe why keep them in a case? Foam cases will hold moisture.

I put CLP on everything.

I second the CLP. A small amount goes a long way and will not cause problems with accumulating debris unless you are planning combat in the desert. I use Damp Rid and one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#golden ... -4_8-16-32 for my safe in the garage.

If you have that much moisture in your home or the room your safe is in, then you can get large silicon packets and place them in the safe. I have also have seen others use backing soda to help with moisture issues. On a 2nd note you should always clean your mag's ever few hundred rounds, keeps them rust free and feeding nicely. A quick scrub in simple green wash them off with hot water, dry them real well and spray down with CLP.

Complete nonsense! Also if they're in a safe why keep them in a case? Foam cases will hold moisture.

Absolutely, but foam cases ALSO absorb alot of the oil or spray on the gun. It will remove it from the gun, and soak it up like a sponge, leaving the gun dry.