Sign in to follow this  
matt6669

S&W model 10-5

Can you should .357 out of these like you can't shoot .38 out of a .357?

Whats everyone's opinion on them

matt, the link you posted is a S&W Model 10 which is chambered for 38 special. 38s (like this one) usually have the chambers reamed so you cannot even put 357s in the cylinder. There are older 38s out there where the chambers are not reamed like this. There are cheap 38s out there that are not reamed like this. To shoot 357s in any gun not chambered as such by the factory is not safe.

You can shoot 38s from a 357 and that's one of the good points of a 357 offering a wide range of power levels from wadcutters to full magnums. My 357s see more 38s fired from them with no ill effects. The only caveat to doing this is you need to clean your gun regularly. You can build up fouling in the chamber of a 357 shooting 38s which will prevent you from chambering 357s. I've never had this happen to me. You do have to shoot a lot of 38s without cleaning to have this happen.

As far as the gun goes a S&W Model 10 (and it's predecessor the Military and Police) is probably the most produced revolver ever. They were used by police and the military here and in many other countries. I have 2.

Model10s with 2" and 6" barrels are harder to find than the more common 4". If the gun is in 98% condition $350 wouldn't be a bad price (not a bargain). A 10-5 would be built it the 60s. If I were interested in it and wanted it bad enough I might just pay his asking price. Otherwise I'd watch the auction and if the bidding got over $300, pay the asking price. That's what I'd do if I were interested in this gun.

It looks like it is is in good shape. The pictures are not exactly the sharpest so tough to tell. You also have to be careful with how tight the cylinder locks up. The condition of the barrel. The seller is in NJ maybe he would let you evaluate the gun. It is a gun that will last a lifetime if properly cared for and the 38 is a great cartridge though the 357 as previously stated has a wider power scale. I agree the price is fair.

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep an eye on the price. Its a shame you can't shoot .357 out of it like you can do in the opposite situation.

He's not to far from me, so I might have to see if I can set up an appt with him.

M

did you get it? I love my Model 10. They are soft shooting, reliable and very packable. An overlooked and underapprecaited firearms.

+1, overlooked and underappreciated is right! Did you pick it up matt?

what a disaster that was. I was bidding on it, got out bid, gunbroker sent me an email to say if you want to bid again click here. So I clicked there and it asked me to sign in im like uh ok, so I sign in and the next thing I know its going you've won the auction with the buy it now option.

I'm like uhhh I never entered any of that crap so long story short it thought I bought the gun for 349 which I had no intentions of paying that much. So I emailed gunbroker and the seller to get it straightened out so I didn't end up with the gun.

Instead I'm picking up a Mosin from Richie tomorrow, and hopefully a Ruger Mark III this weekend if I can find some cash cause I'm broke LOL

listen here mister Chad. At least I get out and shoot my guns, unlike someone I know who says they have guns, says they shoot their guns, but I have yet to see said person shoot their guns.

ps how's the construction coming along?

wheeeew....good thing you didnt get it. Wayyyy to much gun for your soft little hands to hold. Stick to .22's for now. Thats a mans gun. :D

How do you know his hands are soft and little?

My wife told me!

Post of the week!!!!!!

Hey Chad you ever going to come out shooting with us?

I'm working on it, lamaz is over next week , which frees up my tuesday nights so, I am going to make the attempt to go to BA. :)

The construction is done, on the first project...got the CO on the first shot, and will be moving in next weekend. Horrrray!

Car wash construction to begin in a few weeks. Horrrray! :roll: lol And two more after that. But they will probably go on at the same time as the car wash.

nice job with the CO, thats always a pleasant surprise when you get that one. Good luck with the move in as well.

Are you redoing all of your cash wash's or are you expanding them, whats the deal with all the construction?

just acquired a 4th location, and its a dump...(tim saw it) so that needs to be done. The main office was a smaller facility that needed upgrading, so we are going to rent that out (already have a lesee) once we move into the new one next week. The other projects are some other businesses that will be starting in early next year. Other three car washes will be staying how they are for now...with the exception of freehold, we plan on raising the roof, and giving it a new facade.

wow you really enjoy doing construction don't you :) haha

If you ever need an architect, the firm I work for has done quite a few car wash's if you ever need someone.

Ohhh and get us some damn pictures!

Yeah Chad - he'll design you a nice SOFT design using manly colors like PINK and LAVENDER and gentle curves and subtle shapes. After all, women want their cars washed gently, with soft hands. (Come on Ken, help me out here...)

Sorry Dan,

I gave up on this thread when Matt started doing the "Should I, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I" thing for the umpteenth time. Typical woman, small soft hands and can't make a simple decision, and depends on real men to guide the choices. :D