Sign in to follow this  
djg0770

nj man arrested for allegedly making terroristic threats

NEWARK (CBS) ?

Was the president in danger?

A New Jersey man will appear in court Thursday for threatening Barack Obama's life.

Police arrested John Brek, a security agent at Newark Liberty International Airport, hours before the president arrived there on Wednesday.

Normally Brek would've been patrolling the grounds at the airport, but now he's behind bars and it may have been a confluence of events that put him there.

President Obama flew into Newark on Wednesday night, the same airport where Brek works for a security company. That combined with his alleged threats against Obama may have been too much for authorities to ignore.

"He's very upset with the country, with the way it's going and I'm upset about it, too," said Leonard Parsons, the suspect's landlord.

Leonard and Minnie Parsons have been Brek's landlords for 11 years and point to his apartment door covered with a "God Bless America" sign and a flag as evidence he's no threat.

"I go to these different clubs and they criticize Bush. They say they'd like to kill him and this and that," Leonard Parsons said.

"If you don't hear the situation, it could be twisted, too," Minnie Parsons added.

But the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police felt Brek crossed the line when he spoke to a co-worker about Obama on Tuesday.

On Wednesday night a Secret Service spokesperson told CBS 2 HD Brek "is alleged to have made threats against the President of the United States, but I don't have specificity about what he allegedly had said."

After the National Rifle Association member gave police permission to search his home, they found more than 40 legally owned guns.

"It don't make sense to me. It sounds terrible," said John Brek Jr., the suspect's father.

Linden neighbors said they don't really know the 55-year-old.

"He'll just say hi or wave or something but he don't talk too much to anybody," neighbor Maria Mendes added.

That his arsenal was discovered is a relief for others.

"I understand he's a nice guy, but you know, at the end of the day, nice people can turn bad real quick," neighbor Brenda Camacho said.

Brek is accused of making terroristic threats, which he has denied.

Making terroristic threats is not a federal charge but a local one filed by the Port Authority. So far the agency has not explained exactly what Brek said but we should hear details during Thursday's arraignment.

And my 'favorite' from the NY Daily a$$wipe

A Newark Airport security guard was arrested for making threats against President Obama on the eve of Wednesday's campaign visit to New Jersey.

Gun-loving John Brek, 55, of Linden, N.J., was taken into custody after his co-workers reported a conversation they had at an airport coffee cart to authorities.

He was charged under state law with making terroristic threats against the president.

Brek is a Republican and a member of the National Rifle Association, his father told the Newark Star-Ledger.

A search of Brek's home turned up 43 firearms - although they all appeared to be registered weapons, officials said.

Obama is flying in Air Force One to Newark Airport for a Wednesday campaign stop with fellow Democrat Gov. John Corzine.

Authorities did not reveal the nature of Brek conversation. He is employed by Long Island-based FJC Security Services Inc., which has a security contract with the Port Authority.

The company said they it is "continuing to work with the authorities on this matter" but declined further comment.

No federal charges were filed in the case, said Malcolm Wiley, spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service.

Wiley said Brek has denied making threats.

Emphasis added on THE SPIN words added by the media to inflame.

Guys - just be careful about what you say and write. Free speech is not free since Jan 20, 2009.

Any armor piercing rifles??

Yeah that's always a classic. What do you shoot an armor piercing rifle out of anyway - a bazooka?

surely when they say 'gun loving' that's supposed to mean 'he's crazy'

I love my gun and, to the best of my knowledge, I'm not crazy.

His charges have been upgraded. As well as his bail due to a stolen rifle and the ever popular hollow point bullets.

?John Brek, the Newark Airport security guard accused of making threats against President Obama, who was visiting the area yesterday, has pleaded not guilty to the charge, and to charges of possession of illegal hollow-point bullets and a stolen rifle. He's held on $200,000 bail, doubled from the original $100 grand by the judge at his arraignment. A witness alleged that Brek said over coffee that he had cut a hole in an airport fence so he could shoot Obama

Hehe, "armor piercing rifles." Its been said before, but unless you melt down that rifle and shoot it out another-- or thrust it hard enough to go through some kevlar, I don't see how the rifle can be armor piercing.

Now, armor piercing rounds, that is a bit different I suppose.

edit: I know you're being facetious :roll:

Ive seen this posted a few places, and I think the biggest lesson is being overlooked. No matter what your politics are or what you think of the guy, DO NOT threaten the President of the U.S. , especially in a public place...If this guy had kept his stupid big mouth shut, he would be sitting on his gun-loving ass in his own home surrounded by his 40+ legally owned firearms, and nobody would have heard of him. Instead he says what perhaps he thought was funny or clever or whatever and now he is paying for it.

Ive seen this posted a few places, and I think the biggest lesson is being overlooked. No matter what your politics are or what you think of the guy, DO NOT threaten the President of the U.S. , especially in a public place...If this guy had kept his stupid big mouth shut, he would be sitting on his gun-loving a** in his own home surrounded by his 40+ legally owned firearms, and nobody would have heard of him. Instead he says what perhaps he thought was funny or clever or whatever and now he is paying for it.

+1

Did I miss something? While I have never seen any or shot them, I thought it was legal to have hollow point bullets in your home?

It is. They're throwing the book at him and they'll wait to see what actually sticks. This is a typical process, ultimately he may only be found guilty of one or two charges as the others may be dismissed or dropped.

Of course, some LEO's will be along any second now to tell you how this isn't typical or that it actually occurs, but if you follow case law, you'll see otherwise.

Did I miss something? While I have never seen any or shot them, I thought it was legal to have hollow point bullets in your home?

I believe, its perfectly legal to have them provided you're not committing a crime, which threatening the president is.

P.S. Nice avatar, wheres that guy at? :lol: