rauchman

Tell me about your experiences w/ the M&P

Greetings,

I'm looking for user feedback on the M&P.

I currently have a smattering of different pistols and am toying w/ some kind of M&P. Currently have 2 - G19's, G17, Sig P226 9mm, HK USP45F, Beretta 92FS, HK P7, SA 1911 Loaded. Recently sold an XD45 Tact and am trading an XD9 Tact for a G26. Handling an XD at the Bullet Hole, it seemed very nice. When actually shooting it, I realized I liked my Glocks better.

I've read some good things on the M&P. Particularly interested in the .45 (fullsize & compact). I'd love to the get the 9mm, but I have a problem w/ a 17 round mag being neutered to 10 rounds. .40 is a possibility.

I have the full size .40 and love it. Fits my hand and points well for me. Eats anything I've ever fed it, and have had zero FTF/FTE over more that 4,000 rounds (including weak hand, offhand, upside down and sideways). I like the mag safety (others don't) and I like, but don't love the DAO trigger (Troy had his worked, and it's much nicer than stock). Takedown is unique, with an internal release that has to be manipulated, but there's no trigger pull or registration marks to align. Very accurate and quick to get back on with. I haven't shot any of new PRO flavors, but I understand that they're at least as nice.

As for the 17rd mags....

My next trip out of state...... I plan on picking up a 17rd mag..... dis-assembling it, and seeing what it would take to pin it to 15rds......

'Mr. Happy" at the Silver Bullet in Rockaway sells the 9mm Pro with pinned mags..... IF he can do it...... I am betting I can figure out how to also....

As for the 17rd mags....

My next trip out of state...... I plan on picking up a 17rd mag..... dis-assembling it, and seeing what it would take to pin it to 15rds......

'Mr. Happy" at the Silver Bullet in Rockaway sells the 9mm Pro with pinned mags..... IF he can do it...... I am betting I can figure out how to also....

I will buy some off of you if u figure it out ;)

Well, I guess I am the fly in the ointment? I bought an M&P .40 FS and, for me, it just didn't shoot. I know it was me because my son, and several good shooters at the range, could shoot it fine. Must be the angle or size of the grip but I could only get like 5" groups? I would take my son's XD 9 and shoot 2" groups or better all day long. I ended up trading it in for my XD Tactical and this gun shoots great for me all the time. Go figure?

I have shot a few hundred rounds through my M&P .40 Compact and it feels excellent. It fits perfectly in the hand and feels better than almost all the other guns out there. No FTF or FTE's. Everything I shot threw it gave me no problems. It is very accurate for me as well. I definitely like them better than the XD's. I have the compact with the pinky extensions and I couldn't be happier. Go for it!

I have a few hundred rounds thru my M&P 9, and overall I really it. The 10 round thing is really what keeps me from liking it more and why I spend more time shooting the G19. But it's a great gun.. "points" really well... it's more accurate than I am. All the controls are reachable without having to make any modifications.

Probably the only complaint I have with it, and I've mentioned this a few times in other posts, is the trigger. The reset is a little harder to feel compared to my G19. But it's not so bad that it's a deal breaker by any means.

The damned 10 round mags are frustrating, but again, not a deal breaker. One thing with the 10 round mags tho... they are REALLY hard to find. I still only have the 2 that came with the gun. Every time I try to pick up some more, I go thru the usual list of online retailers and they're always on backorder.

If you're looking for a polymer framed, striker fired gun, the M&P is a great choice, and you won't be disappointed.