Medic3166

Brick Armory Vs. Shore Shot

I believe our staff and store are at it's highest level.

This is a dangerous statement for any business owner to make. Pride goes before the fall. Everyone can always learn something from someone. Every business can improve.

VERY VERY VERY true! + 100 Dan

So are there ammo prices.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This is a dangerous statement for any business owner to make. Pride goes before the fall. Everyone can always learn something from someone. Every business can improve.

I wasn't trying to be smarmy.

Its no different than Target vs Walmart. Both carry alot of the same things, but you have a personal preference. Does it make the other any less because you choose to go to the other one? Of course not.

Experiences are going to make some prefer one over the other. Some get very heated over their like or dislike, but its still up to each individual to make up their own mind. We're all adults, so anyone that comes here and sees positive or negative views posted by others can either believe what they read on the internet or they can go and decide for themselves. Lemmings are a dime a dozen, and I think any business prefers those with intelligence that can make up their own minds.

I prefer BA, but you'll never see me post anything negative about SS. I don't even post positives about BA because my opinion is just that, my opinion. I'll answer questions if i know the answer and that's about all.

There is no vs.... they are just 2 businesses close by that give those of us local to both, more options.

VERY VERY VERY true! + 100 Dan

So are there ammo prices.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

What I was trying to say was the fact that we are at our highest level to date. That you shouldn't let things from 8 years ago effect the things that are going on today. We are constantly trying to improve and take other peoples criticism and try to turn it into a positive.

As far as the ammo prices. Yes for non members we are high. But in a business like this with the internet constantly reducing the prices of items it is very hard to stay afloat. These non-member prices is what keeps us a float. For members are ammo is very reasonable as unlike a lot of stores we go through so much ammo we are constantly buying. For people in the business they know that ammo is like the stock market and constantly fluxing. We buy so much ammo our current price may not be reflected at normal stores for months due to the fact they order in mass bulk at the lower prices (cheaperthandirt.com or cabellas/dicks). I understand that a lot of people have their loyalties and such but at least I can put my two cents in now. When customers tell us they can get it cheaper we are all for it and tell them how we can help them out with transfers and what not. Sometimes we cant touch some costs of things, but a lot of times we can. Regardless we have a large operation with a high overhead. We keep costs at the lowest that allow us to stay in business.

I also understand that no matter what people are not going to be happy with everything. What matters is those that you can make happy.

I said my point on this thread and not going to keep :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Its no different than Target vs Walmart. Both carry alot of the same things, but you have a personal preference. Does it make the other any less because you choose to go to the other one? Of course not.

Experiences are going to make some prefer one over the other. Some get very heated over their like or dislike, but its still up to each individual to make up their own mind. We're all adults, so anyone that comes here and sees positive or negative views posted by others can either believe what they read on the internet or they can go and decide for themselves. Lemmings are a dime a dozen, and I think any business prefers those with intelligence that can make up their own minds.

I prefer BA, but you'll never see me post anything negative about SS. I don't even post positives about BA because my opinion is just that, my opinion. I'll answer questions if i know the answer and that's about all.

There is no vs.... they are just 2 businesses close by that give those of us local to both, more options.

^--- this guy couldnt have said it better.. :clap: :clap: we are only a mile apart come make your own decisions.

You guys took my words out of context, I 100% agree with you. That is why I am on this site. To learn. To teach. To improve my business.

SS not trying to give you a hard time but your prices were $36 for a box of 9MM FMJ. That is high by anyone's standards.

I agree. I'd never tell a business how to run their store but that's DOUBLE the price of my dicks store (which doesn't even stock that much ammo). I understand ammo prices fluctuate as well but not 50%. My dicks has had their 9mm ammo at 15 bucks a box for I can't even remember how long.

If this is off topic, feel free to delete

Wolfy.. that must have been a while ago. We are still expensive for non-members but that is the bread and butter of our business. The one time shooters. While we have the best relationships with our ongoing customers, these are the guys we care about. For them a box of 9's is 16.50. If you come to the store a decent amount and are a good guy we give tons of non-members member prices. But like I said our prices are constantly changing. This weekend alone (sat&sun) we sold 13 cases of 9's, 10 cases 40's, 4 38, 5 357, 12 45, 2 380. This is a lot of ammo. We do ammo buys 3-4 times a week. Which always makes us have the highest costing ammo. Plus we pay to have it sometimes when stocks are severely low, the price rises dramatically. Our business would not survive for a week or 2 without 9's. That could honestly put us out of business. I know exactly when you are talking about. It was when 9's were extremely scarce and if I could only tell you what we had to do in order to insure the fact that we had the ammo for our members. We offer many different ways for people to take advantage of the member priced ammo. We never sell non-member price ammo when people are buying a gun. Believe me the ammo price have hurt us just as much. But we arent Cabellas or Dicks or Cheaper then Dirt. We are a small indoor range and store not a major company.

But we are here for a positive reason. I totally understand that we are going to have negative things said about us. For every good thing you do for somebody they tell 3 people for every bad thing they tell 30. Its the truth. Im going to look in into trying to bring more choices of ammo at different prices. I just want you to know that we want to make the sale but we also need to stay in business. Its hard now a days when guys would rather save 20 dollars then support the Local Brick and Mortar. Believe me everybody is feeling it.

we all know this wasnt a shoreshot issue alone. =) but I would love to get a response from any range as to why they would charge such high prices on ammo, up to 3x over other local retailers.

I am sure a first time shooter going there isnt going to complain because they dont know any better, but for a gun owner who has purchased in the past....?

Wolfy.. that must have been a while ago. We are still expensive for non-members but that is the bread and butter of our business. The one time shooters. While we have the best relationships with our ongoing customers, these are the guys we care about. For them a box of 9's is 16.50. If you come to the store a decent amount and are a good guy we give tons of non-members member prices. But like I said our prices are constantly changing. This weekend alone (sat&sun) we sold 13 cases of 9's, 10 cases 40's, 4 38, 5 357, 12 45, 2 380. This is a lot of ammo. We do ammo buys 3-4 times a week. Which always makes us have the highest costing ammo. Plus we pay to have it sometimes when stocks are severely low, the price rises dramatically. Our business would not survive for a week or 2 without 9's. That could honestly put us out of business. I know exactly when you are talking about. It was when 9's were extremely scarce and if I could only tell you what we had to do in order to insure the fact that we had the ammo for our members. We offer many different ways for people to take advantage of the member priced ammo. We never sell non-member price ammo when people are buying a gun. Believe me the ammo price have hurt us just as much. But we arent Cabellas or Dicks or Cheaper then Dirt. We are a small indoor range and store not a major company.

But we are here for a positive reason. I totally understand that we are going to have negative things said about us. For every good thing you do for somebody they tell 3 people for every bad thing they tell 30. Its the truth. Im going to look in into trying to bring more choices of ammo at different prices. I just want you to know that we want to make the sale but we also need to stay in business. Its hard now a days when guys would rather save 20 dollars then support the Local Brick and Mortar. Believe me everybody is feeling it.

+1 for being stand up and honest about it.

SS not trying to give you a hard time but your prices were $36 for a box of 9MM FMJ. That is high by anyone's standards.

I agree. I'd never tell a business how to run their store but that's DOUBLE the price of my dicks store (which doesn't even stock that much ammo). I understand ammo prices fluctuate as well but not 50%. My dicks has had their 9mm ammo at 15 bucks a box for I can't even remember how long.

If this is off topic, feel free to delete

And we are 16.50 for the last 3 months for members. I think thats pretty good with constantly getting new stock and not being a major company such as dicks.

But it is not mandatory to buy your ammo from us as your are more then welcome to bring your own ammo into the range for your own use.

Now Im really :deadhorse:

Its funny how a positive thing I wrote gets ripped to pieces. Not a problem tho. Any criticism is constructive!

we all know this wasnt a shoreshot issue alone. =)

HA HA, you're right about that. one of the main reasons I reload.

Kyle, I am impressed by your forthrightness. It has been many years since I was in your place and was not impressed at the time with the people I dealt with on both occasions. With all of the positive reviews I have been reading about your shop it is apparent those individuals probably do not work there anymore. I look forward to stopping by and checking out the store and range.

I give you credit for being honest and having the guts to respond to my post. I think your handgun selection is one of the best in the area and your staff is friendly. I just wanted to air my major complaint.

Same here, I've bought ALL of my pistols from you guys :)

tbtrout - I am glad that you will be coming to check us out again. This is a family ran business and if you talk to any one with a firearms store its not easy. There is a ton of things that go into running a gun shop let a lone running a range. After running it for about 7 years my father was really burnt out from working 7 days a week. At this time he pretty much paid guys to run the shop into the ground. These are probably the times when you came in, when many came in which probably never will again. Fast forward to the last couple years. I came on to work full time with my father after college. We realized that certain people were not right with how we wanted to run the shop. We redid the whole retail area and did some different renovations on the range and range area. Now we pride ourselves in our customer service and our inventory.

People like different places for different reasons, which is as it should be.

I'm a member at Shore Shot and I renewed my membership this year. I've bought two guns there and got very good prices I thought. Their ammo has been expensive but so what? It's your choice whether to buy it or bring your own (unless you rent, when you have to use theirs, but hell, tell me where else has such a selection of guns to rent ?? hmm???). They've helped me with a couple of little problems and their ROs are interested and involved.

Are there some things I don't like - yes, a couple, but none that other busy ranges (eg the hole) don't also suffer from. It's a great place and I continue to like it.

As far as the "BA vrs SS" debate is concerned, my only gripe is that neither of them is in middlesex county....

Good luck to everyone running a range and/or a store, I say.

happy shooting

G

You may ignore this question if you wish and I will delete it afterwards but how profitable is a gunshop/ range? Everyone you talk to says its a very tough business to work in so I'm just curious what the rewards are compared to other businesses.

M

The only problem I've ever had with Shore Shot isthe fact that they fought against the opening of B.A. As a gun owner and consumer in N.J I feel we need every opportunity and outlet to allow us to pursue our Second Ammendment rights. I can understand you not wanting the compatition but to puposely try to put the kabosh on another range or store was a bad move I feel. That being said I have been to your store and made a few purchases since all of this transpired. It turns out a little competition is good for business.

The only problem I've ever had with Shore Shot isthe fact that they fought against the opening of B.A. As a gun owner and consumer in N.J I feel we need every opportunity and outlet to allow us to pursue our Second Ammendment rights. I can understand you not wanting the compatition but to puposely try to put the kabosh on another range or store was a bad move I feel. That being said I have been to your store and made a few purchases since all of this transpired. It turns out a little competition is good for business.

I am sure there is more to that story then anyone has been told, and It also takes 2 sides to tango so its unfair to bring it up or judge by that in my opinion.

I am sure there is more to that story then anyone has been told, and It also takes 2 sides to tango so its unfair to bring it up or judge by that in my opinion.

Thats your opinion. So it shouldn't be dicussed. You know there is a First Ammendment also right?

Thats your opinion. So it shouldn't be dicussed. You know there is a First Ammendment also right?

Not sure where I said it should not be discussed or took away your 1st amendment rights? :roll:

I said that since there is a known rivalry between the 2 shops there is going to be opinions mixed

in with facts when information is passed regarding this subject. I still fail to see how it should

effect an opinion on the shop, employees or service SS provides to the individual customer.

I was going to respond initially, but decided to hold off. However, I do feel inclined to say that I think it is not in someone's place to say another individual's opinion is flat out unfair or wrong for whatever reason. The person has an opinion, and regardless of how you may feel about it, it doesn't make it wrong in any manner.

Mind you, I'm not taking sides here. I just think its wrong to take a possible fanboy opinion and slap someone else down with it.

possible fanboy opinion

Sorry I am not much for ass kissing and do not sing praises of anyone who does not deserve it.

I have nothing to gain one way or another. I guess many could come and say the same or maybe

worse about BA regarding their business and practices but it would only just start a war of words from people

who are on the outside of the issue between 2 local business. Neither of which has nothing to do with the services

that either provide.

Fact's are fact's and here say is just that.

But isn't that the point of a public forum? Nothing is perfect, and there is nothing wrong with noting one's opinion regarding a store or incidents with the store. Fact and fiction are intertwined in such a space. I wasn't calling you a "fanboy" specifically, and my apologies if that offended you. There are always fanboys for either side-- any side. And while I welcome the opinion of anyone from any angle, fanboy-ism ranks low. But then of course that's just me.

I was going to keep silent on this one as well as I have personal knowledge of the BA/Shore Shot objection. Our firm handled the planning testimony before the Lakewood Zoning Board for BA's application. If you really want to know both sides let me know. I'll give you the application number and dates and you can look up the meeting minutes on Lakewood's web site. It will be a non biased synopsis of the application and objection.

That being said, I also read from Shore Shot that they now regret the objection (which cost a pretty penny based on the attorney they hired) and feel their business is better due to the competition. At first I avoided Shore Shot based solely on the objection but now reading their philosophy, I'll check the place out and make my own opinion. So good luck to both SS and BA and may we all benefit from the competition.