sparny524

Defensive Shotgun Build

The AR style stocks are awesome in my opinion. I have better control and much firmer grip, and it makes it harder for someone to grab the gun out of my hands. I have it on my 870 and love it...highly recommended. Are you going to make it to BA next week? I'll bring it along if you'd like to give it a whirl.

I'm no expert tho. ;)

The AR style stocks are awesome in my opinion. I have better control and much firmer grip, and it makes it harder for someone to grab the gun out of my hands. I have it on my 870 and love it...highly recommended. Are you going to make it to BA next week? I'll bring it along if you'd like to give it a whirl.

I'm no expert tho. ;)

Bring it, I picked up a Maverick trigger group for my 500 so I can change to an AR stock.

Being that I'm problably the best shotgun shooter on this site I should post the best shotgun made.

Remington 870 express

ATI stock w/ 5 shell holder

side saddle holds 6 shells

IMG_1753.jpg

There's Remington, then there's Mossbergs. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. Just ask Crazyboy.

Being that I'm problably the best shotgun shooter on this site.

If by best shotgun shooter you mean the person that can waste the most amount of ammo on a single clay, then YES that would definitely be you. Cute rug to ya homo

I'd go with a mossy 590 (middle one below), it already comes with ghost ring sights, bbl is a little bit longer at 20" but barely noticeable, and it gives you an extra round in the tube. Most come with the speedfeed stock for an added 4 rounds.

shotguns.jpg

590.jpg

chad, does the one in the middle have the heavy-walled barrel? i just picked up a 590A1 (#51663) and apparently you can't get a heatshield for it due to the heavy-walled barrel...

Being that I'm problably the best shotgun shooter on this site I should post the best shotgun made.

Remington 870 express

ATI stock w/ 5 shell holder

side saddle holds 6 shells

IMG_1753.jpg

There's Remington, then there's Mossbergs. That's not my opinion, that's a fact. Just ask Crazyboy.

:clap: Very Nice :clap: Nice Remmy there! Holy shells :D, is that Hornaday?

There's a company called AimPro or AimPro Tactical that is supposedly making heatshields specifically for the 590A1 heavy barrel. Think I read about it on the shotgunworld forums.

I emailed them the day I picked up the shotgun, but haven't heard back from them yet. Also heard about them on the shotgun world forums. Links below.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124982&highlight

http://www.aimprotactical.com/index.html

If they get back to me and I get the heatshield, I'll post a thread about it.

Crazyboy, I love Hornady. But it kicks like mule in my 870. I've since switched to Sellior & Bellot for the shotgun. But I still use Hornady in the XD 45 and the critical defense stuff in my 38s. Hornady is top-of -the-line in my opinion.

I'm assuming from the photos in this thread that a bayonet lug is legal on pump action shotguns in NJ, correct? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of the 590A1 (51660) and it certainly appears to support a bayonet, yet I have no intention of modifying the weapon prior to delivery in order to preserve the warranty. Anyone care to clarify the bayonet restrictions in NJ?

You can pretty much do anything to a pump in NJ as long as it meets the minimum length requirments (18.5" barrel - 26" overall length). So bayos, pistol grips, collapsible stocks - all ok on a PUMP shotgun.

Regarding changing out the stock and foregrip - I can only speak to one of the two. I replaced the stock on my 590A1 and it's very easy. Unscrew the butt pad screws (2), pull off butt pad, get a longish screwdriver that will reach the bolt that attaches the stock to the receiver and unscrew the bolt.. pull off stock, and replace with new stock in reverse order.

Here's a little tip tho - the stock screw doesn't go very far into the receiver, so it unscrews very quickly. Make sure to have the shotgun on a table or something and not muzzle down on the floor while you unscrew from the top. I learned the hard way and ended up with a dented cable box and a scratched barrel :doh:

You will only run into problems if you attach a sling plate between the receiver and the stock (like I did) - if that's the case, then, depending on the stock, you may have to source a longer screw.

You can pretty much do anything to a pump in NJ as long as it meets the minimum length requirments (18.5" barrel - 26" overall length). So bayos, pistol grips, collapsible stocks - all ok on a PUMP shotgun.

Thanks Caine. Exactly what I needed to know. Hopefully my FFL will agree with you. :)