Chad

NJ Middle School Evacuated After Live Ammo Found

Why do you think there are no jobs for kids? Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, Paper routes, stocking shelves at the supermarket?

I have not seen a kid delivering papers since I was a kid. Businesses are very reluctant to hire a 14 yr old because of NJ Child Labor laws. For a kid to mow a lawn and shovel snow implies that their parents imparted a little ambition in them outside of the X Box babbysitter.

My son is 8 and can not wait to turn 14 because the conductors at Allaire Park told him he could work the train yard then. He loves trains.

But it is very difficult for a 14 yr old to get hired. I worked retail in the 90's and we would not hire until 18. My company did not want to deal with the labor laws.

Why do you think there are no jobs for kids? Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, Paper routes, stocking shelves at the supermarket?

I have not seen a kid delivering papers since I was a kid. Businesses are very reluctant to hire a 14 yr old because of NJ Child Labor laws. For a kid to mow a lawn and shovel snow implies that their parents imparted a little ambition in them outside of the X Box babbysitter.

My son is 8 and can not wait to turn 14 because the conductors at Allaire Park told him he could work the train yard then. He loves trains.

But it is very difficult for a 14 yr old to get hired. I worked retail in the 90's and we would not hire until 18. My company did not want to deal with the labor laws.

Do you think it's only the labor laws? Or do you think there are menial jobs that American won't do? And are occupied by others.

I think it is a combination of Geography, Work Ethic and History. Since we have moved out of the cities and into more suburban neighborhoods, it is difficult for most minors to get back and forth to a job. Paper routes are so spread out that it is not practical for most to walk a route, so almost all newspapers have gone to motor routes. Many employers have been burned by hiring young kids who call out for every little thing or are pulled out of work because their parents want to take them someplace and the employer is left holding the bag.

Heck, I was a "shop" teacher......

When I was in HS, the metal shop teacher was the advisor to the reloading club. It met on Fridays. Once a month the guys brought their shotguns in, put them in their lockers, then drove away with the shop teacher after school to shoot up what they had reloaded that month. No one thought anything of it. This was in the middle 60's in Demarest, NJ. Somehow we survived this "horror".

How has it happened that the vast majority of the residents of this crap hole of a state have become weenieless schmucks who soil themselves at the sight of a .22 round?

I recently bought a few vintage hunting jackets at a flea market in PA, and brought them to my shop in NYC. A customer was looking at them and tried one on. Upon reaching into the pocket, they said..."what's this?"...apparently I had failed to check the pockets and there was a live 12 guage shotgun shell in the pocket from a hunting trip the previous hunter had taken quite a while ago. The customer thought it was cool and certainly made it quite authentic. I quickly took the shell out of NYC as soon as I could.

I have not seen a kid delivering papers since I was a kid.

Print media in general is dying but newspapers have been overtaken by internet news. The few delivery option left are done by adults.

Years back a juvenile needed working papers. No idea if that is still in effect but I seem to remember 16 being the age allowed. As a kid our local Chief of Police would set up summer jobs for a lot of the town kids. I was fortunate that my family had a business but I wanted to get away from it so I got a summer job. Windsor and Newton art products in the warehouse. A few year's later I worked summers for a large construction company still around today..Schiavone. I had a ball going out to job sites delivering equipment. A lot of the union guys would let use climb up and drive some of the heavy equipment from time to time.

But the best was the fact we had a Bell Jet Ranger in the company property in Secaucus and I got to know the pilot in 1970. I stayed friendly with a lot of those guys and stopped in from time to time when I was in the area. Back a few years the town had a function requiring the use of a helicopter. Turns out the pilot was Chip...but we were both a lot grayer..and probably wiser.

Part time jobs for kids can be a great experience and a character builder. My cousin worked part time back in the 60's for a construction company building the lower level of the George Washington Bridge. At first they let him run errands as he was way to young to actually work in the field, but later he started in a ditch somewhere.Fast forward and he was just honored for his 40th' year with the same company but now he's a VP of one of the largest operations in NJ. Time well spent.