Chad

NJ Middle School Evacuated After Live Ammo Found

Frightening Discovery Made Friday Inside South River Middle School

A middle school was evacuated in New Jersey after live ammunition was found on the premises Friday afternoon, but the lockdown has been lifted and students have gone home for the day.

South River Middle School in Middlesex County had been evacuated to the high school and placed on lockdown while police conducted a search of the building.

It's not yet known exactly where or how the ammunition was found, but officials tell CBS 2 the frightening discovery was made shortly after noon.

Police have not disclosed what kind of weapon the ammunition is used with.

All students were taken to South River High School as a precautionary measure in the meantime. Police remain on the scene investigating.

Students were dismissed at the regular dismissal time Friday.

South River Middle School is located at 3 Montgomery Street.

Stay with wcbstv.com and CBS 2 HD News for more on this developing story.

I'm not in Law enforcement or tactical response planning.. and I know that in this day and age, you can never be too careful.

I know the details haven't been released yet.. but when I was in high school, their "blanket policies" seemed to me like they would get more people hurt god forbid anything ever happened.

I even talked to the principal about it. That the school should have situational response plan. Not just a "lockdown" plan.

Dependent on the situation, the lock down plan just lines up the ducks for a shooter to go assassination style... the evacuation plan opens up the students to "snipers" and the cops have a more difficult time finding the real shooter..

Idk.. just my ramblings. I did tell all my teachers that if we were ever "locked down".. I was taking off with my hands in the air (taking my chances with the "snipers".. so don't try to stop me ;)

I bet if I was in high school now and said that.. I'd be in jail.

I guess it comes down to effective communication and having a leader who will have the balls to make a decision and stand behind it.

Communication is ALWAYS the #1 fck-up in any emergency incident.

OHHHH MY LORD!

When I was a kid I remember finding .22 bullets all over the place in the street and I lived down the block from the elementry school. I had a key chain made out of a .308 shell that my uncle brought home from the Army. I am not saying they shouldn't look into the situation but this is far from bone chilling.

I was always the kid wearing military surplus clothing and camo M65 field jackets. It used to be my hobby to get money orders and send away for military junk from thesportsmansguide, colemans, cheaperthandirt, etc.

I remember one time, putting my hand in my pocket and finding about 50 spent .22 casings from the time my friend and our dad's went to the range the day before :-P

I bet I'd be arrested now for that :-P

I remember one time, putting my hand in my pocket and finding about 50 spent .22 casings from the time my friend and our dad's went to the range the day before

I remember being half hung over and about 30 beer bottle caps fell out of my jacket pocket onto the floor.

Now they would have you in AA and counseling.

Of course I was a senior in high school and they were from my bottle cap collection.... :lol:

I don't know the procedure LE does for active shooter situations at schools, though I have seen the pamphlet given to teachers. My understanding is that since you don't know the situation beyond what is in front of you, the best option is to keep people locked down as it compartmentalizes the scenario.

LEOs don't know who the shooters are, so, why risk evacuating everyone at the same time, possibly having a shooter amongst the crowd who could either do more damage or possibly slip away?

I think people have the same reaction with SHTF situations. It seems like everybody would pack their vehicles and hit the road if SHTF, while its likely better to hunker down and assess the situation further before making an irrational decision.

As for finding live ammo in a school, of course we don't know the details, but, as it is, I think its a big deal... not necessarily to be sensationalized in a bad light, but to be taken very seriously. Between terrible parenting and social institution's influence, I'm surprised there aren't more cases of violence from children or of suicide that are reported.

I don't know the procedure LE does for active shooter situations at schools, though I have seen the pamphlet given to teachers. My understanding is that since you don't know the situation beyond what is in front of you, the best option is to keep people locked down as it compartmentalizes the scenario.

LEOs don't know who the shooters are, so, why risk evacuating everyone at the same time, possibly having a shooter amongst the crowd who could either do more damage or possibly slip away?

I think people have the same reaction with SHTF situations. It seems like everybody would pack their vehicles and hit the road if SHTF, while its likely better to hunker down and assess the situation further before making an irrational decision.

As for finding live ammo in a school, of course we don't know the details, but, as it is, I think its a big deal... not necessarily to be sensationalized in a bad light, but to be taken very seriously. Between terrible parenting and social institution's influence, I'm surprised there aren't more cases of violence from children or of suicide that are reported.

What about the bomb threat? Let's sit on the bombs.. lol.. I'm not here to Monday morning quarterback. But it might help to work on communication in the schools. Get an actual phone system/text/something.. not the old push a button and wait for someone to answer thing from the 70's. then train the teachers and staff on how to communicate with the office/person in charge.. then they can communicate with the police.

s for finding live ammo in a school, of course we don't know the details, but, as it is, I think its a big deal...

In a day and age where your child can be permanently expelled from public school for drawing a picture of a gun or be charged with sexual misconduct for touching a female class mate on the butt while playing freeze tag it's hard for me to believe there would be any other spin on this but bad weather they found an entire locker full of ammunition or 3 rounds on the floor that Jr found in his dad's garage and thought was cool for show and tell with the other boy's. Should it be looked into yes, should it be blown out of proportion before anyone has any fact's including the new's, nope.

You're implying the teachers would take the extra time to get trained up specifically how to do this since they have that luxury with the paycheck they collect ;) . But seriously, I agree there should be training... but between how bad things are with the economy, and how bad things were for teachers before the economy declined, do you think the state would give a damn about spending that much more on any aspect of the educational system?

s for finding live ammo in a school, of course we don't know the details, but, as it is, I think its a big deal...

In a day and age where your child can be permanently expelled from public school for drawing a picture of a gun or be charged with sexual misconduct for touching a female class mate on the butt while playing freeze tag it's hard for me to believe there would be any other spin on this but bad weather they found an entire locker full of ammunition or 3 rounds on the floor that Jr found in his dad's garage and thought was cool for show and tell with the other boy's. Should it be looked into yes, should it be blown out of proportion before anyone has any fact's including the new's, nope.

Well, of course, that's what the rest of the quote you took out of context stated: "As for finding live ammo in a school, of course we don't know the details, but, as it is, I think its a big deal... not necessarily to be sensationalized in a bad light, but to be taken very seriously." :!:

You're implying the teachers would take the extra time to get trained up specifically how to do this since they have that luxury with the paycheck they collect ;) . But seriously, I agree there should be training... but between how bad things are with the economy, and how bad things were for teachers before the economy declined, do you think the state would give a damn about spending that much more on any aspect of the educational system?

I'm going to get married to a teacher who is in the NJ pension system.. so I'm definitely not anti-teacher. And we all know that almost every teacher is a pretty good person. It's really the system that is flawed.

But we have to remember.. these are the people who might make the difference between getting our kid's shot or helping them survive.

I don't have kids yet.. but sending them off to school and just giving up doesn't seem like it will be a good option.

I always thought it was gay when my parents called up school administrators and complained until something got done, but now I'm starting to see why they did it.

Back in the 80's, we had a rash of "bomb scares" phoned into the school I taught at. This all took place over about a three week period. In the beginning, we would pull the fire alarm, get all the kids out, bring in the police and search all lockers. After a while, we would pull the alarm, get the kids out and have the janitors check lockers. Then we would just send the janitors out to check unlocked lockers for a bomb, eventually we just ignored the calls and they stopped. boy, that sure was a different world back then. BTW, we never did find a bomb.....

Now they call for either a "lock down" or an "evac" where we march all the students (2,000+) down the driveway to the bus barn, load them all up and transport them to the middle school (or other location if that is on evac too).

Heck, I was a "shop" teacher and always had exterior doors. If the SHTF, I would have just had everyone just leave out the back door 8-)

Looks like the Asbury Park Press did a little update to this story, with photos. How freakin dramatic... people crying, enormous police / fire / ems / k-9 / sheriff's department response after finding 2 .22 caliber bullets??? take a look at some of these photos you would think its another columbine the way it is being portrayed. I can't wait for the anti's to get a hold of this story. :roll:

here is a link to the rest of the updated story.

Oh my, that is scary. Wasn't it just last month some elementary school kid took his "pocket knife" to school and was permanently expelled from school because of their "zero tolerance" policy. It was given to him by his grandfather (an obvious bad influence) and was less than 2" long. He was later let back in after the parents and community complained.

Oh my, that is scary. Wasn't it just last month some elementary school kid took his "pocket knife" to school and was permanently expelled from school because of their "zero tolerance" policy. It was given to him by his grandfather (an obvious bad influence) and was less than 2" long. He was later let back in after the parents and community complained.

Wasn't it one of those camping tools with a spoon and fork, and he brought it to eat lunch with? It's not like he was even stabbing anyone with it.

Speaking of shells...

I went to the airport on 11-30-09 to fly to Germany wearing the same light coat I wear to the range on cool days.

The pockets on the front sorta of billow out if the flap is tucked it. When you stab your hand in there, the flap tucks in so they are always billowed out.

As I'm standing in line to check in and feeling around in there I felt something not like a coin. A spent .22 casing. Fortunately, I'm standing in line at the check in, not security.

Needless to say, that contraband went surreptitiously into the trash can on the way to security.

I blame Matt. I was to his right when he was shooting his Ruger and one must have landed in my pocket.

I can see the headline...

"NJ man shuts down Newark Liberty Airport"

I have such mixed feelings about this Sh*t. All this BS about two 22 rounds seems ridiculous. While on the other hand there is so much sick stuff going on.

Is it because we don't isolate the sick little bas#$rds that used to go to "reform school"?

I'm really tired of all this PC stuff. When I'm shooting with the grandkids I have to make sure they don't leave with any spent cases, BB's no less live rounds.

I don't really know what the answer is. I just know firearms education can't hurt. Arming teachers? I wish I could say I could trust all the teachers I know with a firearm.

How's this for a visual? An M-16 in a glass case next to the fire extinguisher in the classroom. LMAO

And now, all morning they have been talking about the planned "Columbine Event" planned for Bridgewater-Raritan (the high school in the town right net to where I worked), where there were two students who were building bombs to use on Monday.

My whole perspective on the firearms issue and younger children is that while we, as more mature individuals, can accept the responsibilities and know of the possibly consequences of improper handling, these children do not.

So, to me, if I see a story that has confirmed that children had the intentions and were taking the steps to facilitate violence, I think it does have to be viewed in a far more critical perspective. If a kid has spent shell-casings in their pocket or something along those lines, yea, I agree, big deal. But even for me, being as young as I am, having been out of high school for not even a decade yet... things have really changed in that social institution when I talk to children I help tutor or my brother in laws younger bro.

Tim, I agree that there is not enough room here to explain it all but I will give you my personal quick take from 35 years of teaching at an upper scale, NJ top 100, Blue Ribbon High School.

Again, this is my perspective from my personal experiences, so if I offend anyone here, that means I am referring to you. Today's kids lack discipline, it has to start in the home. Rich kids are the worse, most of these people have very little input into the daily lives of their lives. Either they are both at work, away on a trip or just leave it to the nanny. They send their kids off to school and expect the teachers to not only educate their kids, but baby sit and discipline them. By the time they get to school, it is way too late to do this, they have to be taught discipline, rules and respect from infancy. Now we have a bunch of spoiled, filthy mouth kids who have no respect for authority. If you tell them to do something, they tell you to go f#ck yourself, and the administration will no longer back the teachers because they are afraid of law suits.

When I started teaching, my kids in class were good. They followed the rules, respected the teachers and their peers. I loved going to school every day and the kids loved coming to my classes. My enrollments were overflowing and I always had a waiting list. By the time I retired, it was all gone. I left loving teaching but hating the atmosphere. As soon as I was eligible to get out with my full pension, I bailed.