Scarlet Knight

Hello from Howell

Hey all,

Was poking around the internet and found this site. Everyone here seems to know their stuff and I'm interested in getting into the gun culture of NJ.

First, a bit about myself. I'm a National Guard 11B, completed Infantry OSUT at Benning from May-August 2009. I'm also a student at Rutgers University (explains my username). My dad and I own a Yugo SKS, a Mini-14, a Mossberg .22 Plinkster and a Remington 870. I turn 21 in February and I'm looking to pick up a Springfield XD, and also have plans to buy a DSA-58 FAL in the near future.

I've been to SureShot and Brick Armory a few times, and might go to BA on the 5th with my girlfriend to fire the rifles.

Good to have you here! I guess you attend Rutgers in Camden? or New Brunswick?

New Brunswick. I currently live on campus but I think I will commute next semester. It's too expensive, even with tuition assistance and GI Bill benefits.

Stay in New Brunswick, the campus in Newark is smack in the middle of down town Newark and the ghetto. Don't know about the Camden campus, as I don't go to Camden for anything.

Good to have you here! I guess you attend Rutgers in Camden? or New Brunswick?

New Brunswick. I currently live on campus but I think I will commute next semester. It's too expensive, even with tuition assistance and GI Bill benefits.

Stay in New Brunswick, the campus in Newark is smack in the middle of down town Newark and the ghetto. Don't know about the Camden campus, as I don't go to Camden for anything.

The Rutgers ROTC program is based entirely out of New Brunswick so I couldn't swap campuses even if I wanted to. Which I don't. Camden is, well, Camden, and the commute to Newark would be horrendous.

Ray, you obviously have not been to New Brunswick lately. Not the nicest place by a long shot.

Stay in Howell and drive.

I live on the Busch sub-campus, which is technically in Piscataway, which is a nicer area. But yeah, New Brunswick is degenerating. My school email folder is full of crime-alerts and the lower-income areas around the NB campus centers have been getting worse.

I know that area all to well. I have family that still lives up there by the Edison train station. Seems like every time I go up there it is worse than the last time.

You will like the XD, if you make it out to one of our weekly shoots, let me know and I will bring one for you to shoot.

My wife used to live in Piscataway, right by the miniuture golf course. that place is the best miniture golf in new jersey, btw.

The one with the go carts on Stelton Rd

That's the one! My wife used to live kitty corner from that train station. 10 sec walk to the trains.

On rt27 and Plainfield Ave. behind the surplus store

By the way Scarlet Knight, all threads on here turn to food, but they find their way back.

across from the Mcdonalds or BurgerKing? That side of 27 right?

btw, your making me hungry. I got left-over taco's calling my name.

Welcome Scarlet Knight. My son graduated from RU-NB, he stayed on Bush Campus (the suites) the first three years and then him and his buddies rented a house in Piscataway. I have spent a lot of time on and around that campus. Mmmm, the grease trucks!

If you want to shoot some fine XDs, come out to one of the weekly shoots. I currently have two 9mm and Tim has his.

Hey, welcome. Hopefully I'll be transferring to RU-NB myself for next Fall. Spent practically all of my time up there at my friend's places whenever I was home on leave for the past couple of years (though, they've all graduated since, and are living in Edison or elsewhere now). And an 11B huh... haha, I was in for a handful of years, though that was just two years ago now.

I shoot at BA myself, and own an XD-- though, its a sub-compact. I'll see you around, and maybe make a trip out on Tuesday myself.

Welcome.

I used to know all those Army MOS when my step brothers were in...one got out, the other went to pathfinder school. I've not spoken to them since my dad died in 05...Step brothers but we lived together for 10 years. Shame really.

I wasn't a grunt, so, Scarlet Knight would be better at answering the question... but my understanding is that you enlist as an 11X. After OSUT, you are assigned or choose 11B (standard Infantryman) or 11C (Indirect fire Infantry). There use to be others like 11M and 11H, but those have be rolled into 11B when the Army decided to streamline the "212" Army MOS' into like 100 or so.

The way MOS' are defined is dependent on the MOS you originally enlisted for, and then whatever schools you attend. The schools attended have certain markers, and are added to the end of the original MOS code. I would give mine, but I'd rather keep it discreet :oops: