mikeyboyeee

Good, reasonably priced 1911?

Ok, so went to BA for 1st time on Sat with my buddy kevin (grassroots Senatorial candidate-see he is pro gun) and Colt Shot Ed.

Aside from the RSO (little guy with the mustache) pointing a log gun towards the front door while in a stall, I had a blast.

Got to shoot 45, 357 and 44mag for 1st time.

REALLY liked the 45. Kevin has a Ruger P90 and Ed the XD tactical.

I always wanted a 1911 (ever since I saw Bill's Chrome 1911 in the Greatest American Hero.

So, what is a decent, reasonably priced (ie fairly cheap) 1911 to get for my 1st (and only for a while)?

I def liked the "push" of the .45 ;)

It really depends on what you consider fairly cheap.

RIA(Rock Island) can be found between $400.00 and $475.00 and make a good starting

point for a new 1911 owner. For a few hundred more you can get a Taurus with a decent amount

of upgrades, even though It's Taurus they have been getting much better reviews on their last few runs.

There is also Spring field and Kimber which is my personal favorite but their prices get up there. Best suggestion

is to hit up a store that has 1911's in stock and take a look, head over to Shore Shot in Lakewood then had

at least 7-10 in stock last week of all different brands.

Mikey, I have the Taurus PT1911AR chambered in .45ACP, I was in the same boat as you. I always wanted a 1911 but didn't want to spend a fortune. I am super impressed with this gun, 100% reliability thus far. Straight shooter, good trigger, didn't break the bank. And it is now my night stand gun.

According to their website the MSRP is $870.00! I don't think I paid that much...I am thinking around 6 something. I got it new from the sportsmens center in bordentown.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... bseries=19

1911-1.jpg

Agree with all above. +1

Threre's a lot of personal stuff involved. Are you goung to leave the gun exactly as it is? If so the Taurus is great lot's of extras.

If you intend to add stuff RIA, These are both good quality that can double for home defense. RIA is closer to Mil Spec and additional parts are more easily fitted.

I have a standard SS Colt Gov't that can be used for defense. But for a target range gun I shoot an STI Spartan. Tighter gun adj sites and shoots a ragged hole. But the STI is finicky about ammo. Very tight accurate gun.

In 1911's It is my opinion that you buy a target gun or a defense gun. If it rattles, it's reliable for defense but don't expect it to shoot a ragged hole.

I had a stainless taurus 1911 and it was a nice solid gun. The one thing I didn't like about it was the ambi safety. It stuck out too far and rubbed my thumb the wrong way. But that's just a complaint with the ambi safety, not the gun itself.

I had a RIA GI model and loved it. The only thing I would have changed would be get "real" (combat) sights on it. The GI sights are a bit on the small side.

Shore shot has a brand new RIA in the case for around $450.00 which isn't to bad.

It's going to be harder to find it any cheaper in a NJ gun shop even used, you maybe able to

find one on Gunbroker for around $350-$375.00 but then you will have shipping and transfer.

Ok, so went to BA for 1st time on Sat with my buddy kevin (grassroots Senatorial candidate-see he is pro gun) and Colt Shot Ed.

Aside from the RSO (little guy with the mustache) pointing a log gun towards the front door while in a stall, I had a blast.

Got to shoot 45, 357 and 44mag for 1st time.

REALLY liked the 45. Kevin has a Ruger P90 and Ed the XD tactical.

I always wanted a 1911 (ever since I saw Bill's Chrome 1911 in the Greatest American Hero.

So, what is a decent, reasonably priced (ie fairly cheap) 1911 to get for my 1st (and only for a while)?

I def liked the "push" of the .45 ;)

If you dont want to spend alot but keep your money in the USA, go with Para, Rock River.

If you want to spend a little more go with a used Kimber, S&W,

If you want to spend more go with nighhawk custom...

1911's are great guns, its all I shoot ipsc with, as long as you keep it lubed, it never has anything negative to say to you...good luck...

+1 on megamans post. I wanted a basic 1911 for my first one and chose the Para USA GI expert. Well under 600 bucks out the door and it runs like a champ. Good sights, good trigger, and looks good!

Ray, the GI Expert runs like a champ, for less than 600....thats an awesome gun.

correct me if i am wrong, but isnt para a canadian company?

I thought they moved to Miami? :think:

Perhaps, I recall reading my "world of guns" book and it listed Para as a Canadian company. In any case. =)

Also, check out the base smith 1911 line.

They are now Para USA.

Think I am going to go pre owned, so has to see what pops up :)

My buddy thinks his son may have a couple of 1911s to sell, so I will see what he has for me as he usually gives me good deal and since he is an armormer, they are well taken care of.

Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for me men ;)

Thanks.

Mikey, the bullet hole has a couple of preowned 1911's in stock now.