Ray Ray

Ray Ray's Zombie Apocolypse thread

I was curious as to how much live ammunition do you think would be enough to hold down the fort?

Rifle, shotgun, and pistol rounds

I'm guessing maybee 250 of each caliber? And more if you have firearms that shoot the same caliber.

I was curious as to how much live ammunition do you think would be enough to hold down the fort?

Rifle, shotgun, and pistol rounds

I'm guessing maybee 250 of each caliber? And more if you have firearms that shoot the same caliber.

I am going to say more, rather safe then sorry and go w/1000. Your gun will be your most important tool, besides protection and hunting, you will be shooting the locks off any store or home you need to get into to resupply. No matter how disciplined we are, I would rather fire an extra few shots at a looter then 1 too few. God forbid they were organized and you needed to lay down some sort of suppresive fire.

Ha, BCEagle, you talk about shooting locks off doors to resupply and possibly having to defend yourself from looters in the same thought. Remember, this is a public forum, and we don't condone looting of any type (even if you think about it in your head). I don't want to get any of us in trouble, or Maks at that because of something that could be misconstrued.

With that said, I agree with BCEagle's assessment. 1K+ rounds would really be minimum (I hover around 1K myself, going to get some more a little later today to replenish). Not just for protecting yourself or hunting purposes, but because ammunition would probably have physical value in a PAW.

The way I work it is I have X amount of rounds that I won't touch at all... my SHTF pile. Its cased separately from the rest, and ready to be mobilized for my BOB. The rest is what I use for target/training/HD... so, this way I can just replenish one source, and if something were to happen, I wouldn't be scrambling to make ends meet.

Ha, BCEagle, you talk about shooting locks off doors to resupply and possibly having to defend yourself from looters in the same thought. Remember, this is a public forum, and we don't condone looting of any type (even if you think about it in your head). I don't want to get any of us in trouble, or Maks at that because of something that could be misconstrued.

With that said, I agree with BCEagle's assessment. 1K+ rounds would really be minimum (I hover around 1K myself, going to get some more a little later today to replenish). Not just for protecting yourself or hunting purposes, but because ammunition would probably have physical value in a PAW.

The way I work it is I have X amount of rounds that I won't touch at all... my SHTF pile. Its cased separately from the rest, and ready to be mobilized for my BOB. The rest is what I use for target/training/HD... so, this way I can just replenish one source, and if something were to happen, I wouldn't be scrambling to make ends meet.

Thats funny, I didnt even think about it in that way. I want to be one of the good guys, not the vermin. In my head I pictured a desolate wasteland where my neighbors have fled/been eaten and the area is over run by zombies. I am thinking of me being from "I am Legend" and the looters looking like guys from the "The Road Warrior." And if I think anyone will be coming back, I promise to leave a check or at least an IOU.

i say even more than 1000 for each caliber. you ahve to ask how many guns in each caliber how many people in your house i say 1000 rounds per firearm

1000 is quite a bit. Most of us own a shotgun and I'd say 100 rounds of HD stuff would be enough. 500 for each pistol caliber and more if you have multiple guns in the same caliber. 1000 semi auto rifle rounds (5.56, 308, 30-06) would be the minimum.

Ray Ray (me)

caine

SpecOps2087

NJ609

BCeagle

Shane45

mikeyboyeee

celraysoda

bbk

nickd308

jermz1987

Blcklightning

unloco

maideneddie

djg0770

rauchman

axeman_g

chad

crazyboy

malsua

nitrospaz9

maksim

civictuner04

dave545

XDJohnTact

wsl

kpdpipes

GoNRA

Tbtrout

Matt6669

nonova0074

Did we forget anyone?

Yea, I've seen a bunch of these NFA letters stating "Zombies" as a reason on Zombie Squad's forums :lol:

The best to me was a fellow who had won the lottery, and bought an M60-- stating his reason was "Zombies" as well. He's passed since, but that guy's collection was a dream come true... imagine living in a free state (I believe he was from FL), being a gun enthusiast, and winning the lottery... yep.

Here is an approved Form 1.

Take a close look at the bottom right, reason for needing the SBR:

http://forgedmotorsports.com/forum/files/form4_564.jpg

Not the first to be approved for zombie defense.

Dude, you are the MAN!

I'm in the 1k+ camp. For me the minimums would be 1k 5.56/.223, 1k 9mm, 500 buck, 500-1000 bird, 250 slug, 5k .22lr. If I lived somewhere where 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 were more common, I'd probably keep a bunch of that on hand as well, but, I don't really see many AK type guns 'cept on the forums, so don't think they'd be as common. Wouldn't be a bad idea for me to keep some .38, .40, .45, .30-30, and .308 handy. Not in the 1k quantities, but a couple hundred of each maybe.

Another reason to have at least that much ammo on hand is you never know if friends/family may find their way to your doorstep. They may have firearms of their own with them or you may have to lend/give them one of yours.

Dam.. I really need to order some more ammo. I realized I'm low on just about everything after typing this out :doh:

The best to me was a fellow who had won the lottery, and bought an M60-- stating his reason was "Zombies" as well. He's passed since, but that guy's collection was a dream come true... imagine living in a free state (I believe he was from FL), being a gun enthusiast, and winning the lottery... yep.

Is that the guy from zombiehunters? Can't remember the name he went buy.. HKsomethingorother.. ?

Its all good, BCEagle. I know that we all have the best interests in mind... but during crisis, I guess that thin line gets a bit thinner :? With some preparedness, we can rely more on what we can control versus the variables.

And Caine, you're thinking about the exact guy I brought up. His forum name was HK33K, and here's a link to his photos that a lot of friends had saved in his memory: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=53508

Yea, I've seen a bunch of these NFA letters stating "Zombies" as a reason on Zombie Squad's forums :lol:

Oh, Heck Yeah!!!

The funny thing about that one I found on the internet is that the jackass actually typed the thing. Did he think his stamps would come back faster if he typed it?

I buy most of my NFA through a corp. To avoid hassle of going down to the Sheriff for signature. Sheriff is cool and all, but he's in the city and it's a pain. I gotta find parking, check my sidearm at security, I hate going into the city.

I see a suppressor or MG I want and I whip out Form 4s. Me and seller fill out two copies on the spot and I insert check and drop off in nearest mailbox on my way home. I don't even send them certified mail anymore.

Sometimes I go to Classic Pistol in Southampton. They want to see your stamps if you shoot FA. Last time around, I gave the guy a classification folder with copies of my forms. He opens it up and pulls out the loose Form 4s. Says to me, "These forms are blank." I respond, "Don't you carry blank Form 4s? Never know when you might see something you want. Look at the form copies attached to the panel of the folder."

Only bought MG or suppressor from a dealer 1 time. All my other NFA purchases have been private with no dealer. That's why I carry forms. Cash talks. I don't carry $500-$15K, but when I whip out checkbook and forms the seller sees dollar signs.

No posts since Saturday? Unacceptable!

Surviving Urban Disaster Pt 1

OVkntkChnnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkntkChnnM

Since most of us either work in an urban environment, or live in a suburban environment, it might be useful to some.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily recommending anything he talks about (and in fact, I generally don't even like him). I haven't finished watching it yet. So feel free to tear apart anything he says - I won't take it personally :mrgreen:

I like the segment Nutnfancy did on Urban Survival Kits (USKs). If I remember correctly, he even says that there is no definitive list of what is needed-- but that he hoped that he would make people aware of the concept of USKs. With that said, even if we removed the small pistol he keeps in his pack, if his bags were searched in a state like NJ... oh man, he might get asked some pretty in depth questions by the authorities. Not that there is anything borderline, but I get the feeling that a lot of people who don't take preparedness seriously might question his reasoning. Tragic right? This is a part of the reason why I'm pretty sure if something were to occur in NJ, we'd all be pretty much screwed.

I just finished watching Part 1 - and it's decent. Like you and he said, everyone's kit will be a little different depending on their circumstances.

In my particular case, I spend a good portion of my day in the city, so if something were to occur that required me to try and get out of the city quickly, the last thing I want to do is have to carry all that stuff around. But some of the simple items (small radio, binoculars, flashlights, water, first aid, etc.) are small enough to throw into a small bookbag like the one I have with me every day. Again, my situation would more than likely fall into the "get home bag" scenario and being in the city and possibly having to go thru checkpoints where I might be searched means I either need to ditch any knives/spray/whatever (all legal in the city, but, may be frowned upon should crowd control become an issue) before getting to the checkpoint, or finding some way to swim across the hudson to avoid checkpoints :D

I either need to ditch any knives/spray/whatever (all legal in the city, but, may be frowned upon should crowd control become an issue) before getting to the checkpoint

Here's something for debate. What would you bring?

I don't know how comfortable I would be with bringing a folder (I'm not even 100% aware of what is legal in NYC). When I'm in the City, I usually have a multitool on me-- which my experiences tell me is GTG.

The USK for me is pointless as I've always taken a less is more approach, and whenever I am in the City its usually for pleasure (museums, bars, etc)... so, lugging around a day pack would only be detrimental. As for the "get home bag" concept, I agree. If I worked in the City, I could understand having one as it would be a different mindset. I definitely do want one in my POV though. All I have for now is a FAK (not really a FAK, just a duffel bag filled with first aid materials), an extra jacket, flashlights, and water on occasion. I definitely need to organize it better because I don't think humping a duffel would be too comfortable.

I just finished watching Part 1 - and it's decent. Like you and he said, everyone's kit will be a little different depending on their circumstances.

In my particular case, I spend a good portion of my day in the city, so if something were to occur that required me to try and get out of the city quickly, the last thing I want to do is have to carry all that stuff around. But some of the simple items (small radio, binoculars, flashlights, water, first aid, etc.) are small enough to throw into a small bookbag like the one I have with me every day. Again, my situation would more than likely fall into the "get home bag" scenario and being in the city and possibly having to go thru checkpoints where I might be searched means I either need to ditch any knives/spray/whatever (all legal in the city, but, may be frowned upon should crowd control become an issue) before getting to the checkpoint, or finding some way to swim across the hudson to avoid checkpoints :D

I watched it as well. I've got most of that stuff, just not in one bag.

The Hudson has some wicked currents and is awfully cold. Best bet is to hike over the George if you have to.

Nutnfancy is decent but he's becoming a little big-headed in his analogies. With that said, if your in the city and something happens (bomb, EMP, or whatever) you better learn to swim or have a good pair of running shoes with you, cause thats how your gonna survive.

Nutnfancy is decent but he's becoming a little big-headed in his analogies. With that said, if your in the city and something happens (bomb, EMP, or whatever) you better learn to swim or have a good pair of running shoes with you, cause thats how your gonna survive.

"Borrow" a bicycle. No horses in the city.

I don't know how comfortable I would be with bringing a folder (I'm not even 100% aware of what is legal in NYC). When I'm in the City, I usually have a multitool on me-- which my experiences tell me is GTG.

I've carried a folder in the city for the better part of the last 15 years. Never been an issue. Recently, it came to my attention that there is some peculiar "administrative code" that makes it a "no no" to have a folder CLIPPED to your pocket. I was kinda floored when I heard about this since I've always carried 2 folders clipped to each front pocket. Since then, I've re-arranged some things, and no longer clip anything to my pockets. There's also been some chatter about cops jamming people up for knives that can be flicked open. My understanding is that folder under 4" are perfectly legal. You just need to keep them in a bag or in the bottom of your pocket. Now, if you happen to get randomly stopped for something, it wouldn't hurt to have a legitimate reason for having the knife I suppose, but, in general, my view is that if I'm not bothering anyone and don't look like a scumbag, there's no reason for me to get stopped and I go about my business the way I always do.

Worse case, a Surefire E2D makes a decent bludgeoning device.

The Hudson has some wicked currents and is awfully cold. Best bet is to hike over the George if you have to.

haha yeah - i was mostly kidding about that. I'm a good swimmer, but, I smoke to much to realistically be able to make it across, cold and currents not withstanding :doh: Now, if I could somehow hide a little inflatable under the piers... :think:

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of his. It's not just that I often disagree with him, but, truthfully, and this is pretty stupid and shallow, but, I find his voice irritating. If a bomb goes off here, I'm pretty much screwed. Luckily, I have family in the city, and the fiance already knows that if she can't get a hold of me that she's to head there pronto.

NYPD mounted police, and the central park carriage rides, but those horses would be gone pretty quick.

Definitely go for a bicycle though.

The cops won't be easily giving up their mounts, and the carriage horses aren't saddle broke, even if you could find and fit a saddle. I suppose you could take a carriage, but they're somewhat less than nimble.

NYPD mounted police, and the central park carriage rides, but those horses would be gone pretty quick.

Definitely go for a bicycle though.

The cops won't be easily giving up their mounts, and the carriage horses aren't saddle broke, even if you could find and fit a saddle. I suppose you could take a carriage, but they're somewhat less than nimble.

The Mounts are pretty fond of their riders as well...they Dont like Change any mre than people do.

All this talk of moving and getting around. My objective is to settle down in a heavily fortified building sourrounded by some land I can farm and only leave to forage/hunt for food/fuel. (and never when it snows and it would leave tracks) I want to be invisible.