Col. Mortimer

USPSA / IDPA Introduction Class

I am teaching a USPSA / IDPA Introduction Class at the Shongun Range in Mansfield Township on March 27th. The class will run from 9:00AM to 2:00PM. The class will consist of two parts. A classroom briefing on the safety rules and a live-fire session running stages.

Equipment Required:

- Pistol, 9mm or larger

- A USPSA or IDPA compliant holster, belt and ammo pouches for at least two magazines.

The holster must prevent access to the trigger when the pistol is holstered.

- Three magazines

- 150 rounds of ammunition

- Eye and ear protection

The fee is $20.00. You do not have to be a member or Shongum. The class will be held rain or shine. Bring lunch or snack and something to drink.

There are four slots open. The first four people to PM get the slots. After that, I will take names for a back-up list.

Mike

Backup list is fine. I checked out the USPSA website and it looks OUTSTANDING! I think 'production' would be a good place for me to start with either my G17 or G21 once Ive taken a class or two. looking forward to hearing from you. Im gonna try to contact John A. Blachniak(MID17) Deptford, NJ 08096 who is a alot closer to me and see if there are local classes. Keep me in mind. -Martin

Backup list is fine. I checked out the USPSA website and it looks OUTSTANDING! I think 'production' would be a good place for me to start with either my G17 or G21 once Ive taken a class or two. looking forward to hearing from you. Im gonna try to contact John A. Blachniak(MID17) Deptford, NJ 08096 who is a alot closer to me and see if there are local classes. Keep me in mind. -Martin

L Or D: I want to be sure we are clear here. You are registered for the class. I PM'ed you last night regarding your registration. You are in. If you decide not to take the class, please let me know. Anyone else trying to register now is on the back-up list. Also, once you take this class, you are ready to shoot a match. In fact, I think you will be better prepared than most people. Most of the class will be run like a match.

I was in the production class with a Beretta 92FS. Next match (depending if my permits arrive in time) I am planning to use an M&P Pro 9mm or if not, my Glock 17.

I didn't do too bad considering my mag pouch came off my belt trying to grab a mag to reload. Embarrasing ? yes, but I had a lot of fun. Next time I will use the belt loop attachment instead.

There were 7 stages which made for a long fun day shooting.

Hopefully will see you at one of the matches.

Indeed it sounds like alot of fun.So long as im not on call I will DEFINETLY try to make the next upcoming event. I was thinking of using my G17 or G21, but i just got 2 P.P this week and was reading up and it looks like the G19 is a competition shooter. Just in time for my tax money too. So do you think the fobus paddle rig for the mags and weapon is a bad choice?

I think the fobus paddle wasn't seated into my belt far enough but am going with the belt loop next time anyways.

If you have a G17, I would give that a try first and then see what everyone else is shooting, talk to some folks on their firearm selection, likes/dislikes,etc.

Was looking at all the shooters choice of handguns in production and a lot of them for production class were Glocks. The M&P Pro is a popular choice too however not to say there were others as well.

Were there any pro's there? What weapon won production? Actually the weapon doesnt really make a difference now that i think about it, you can have a fast drag car or super fighter jet but without the right driver or pilot its just a fancy paper weight! I'm gettin excited. :dance:

You guys will enjoy this class - Mike is a great instructor.

After taking Mike's intro class, I've already participated in a USPSA match in Old Bridge in January with a LOT more confidence.

Looking forward to the next match !

The class must have done you good.... you kicked my A$$ LOL

Really, really, really looking forward to this. It's been one of those weeks, so I hope I can focus.

Same here, and it's only Wednesday.

Whats everyone bringing for lunch? I'm thinkin a Wawa hoagie should suffice?

You're in the north - there are no Wawa's in the north and 7/11 doesn't come close at all. Further, they're called subs above the Raritan River ;)

I'm going to ask my wife to make me a sandwich. I'm thinking that I will need a few bottles of water and/or soda though.

Sorry to hear about your Mother In Law. Cancer sucks.

To All:

The class is finally here! The weather will be sunny but cold. Be sure to dress warmly and bring gloves. I will bring bagels and coffee for the morning session. Ron and Ralph, who run the matches, will be there to set up some props so the stages should be really fun. Remember to bring something to eat and drink. I would bring a lawn chair as it will be a long day outside. Bring at least 150 rounds of ammo. Will Ron and Ralph helping, we should be able to shoot stages quickly. I will be watching this thread for any last minute questions.

Mike

Coming from Southern NJ, GPS is saying 2hrs,leaving at 630am just in case. Is there a phone number if i cant find the location?

Call the clubhouse at 866-746-6485. Chect the directions here: http://www.shongum.org/contactus.html as your GPS may not get you to the exact location if you use the address. The range is on the right and there is a sign but it is small and easy to miss. There is a house under construction with piles of boulders on the site about 200 yards before the entrance.

Col., are the trap fields at Shongum open to walk-ons? I've never shot there and I may want to bring the shotguns and give it a try after the course. They have a nice trap range there.

TIA

Ken

Col., are the trap fields at Shongum open to walk-ons? I've never shot there and I may want to bring the shotguns and give it a try after the course. They have a nice trap range there.

TIA

Ken

Ken:

Non-members are allowed at the trap matches which are Sundays, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM and Tuesdays 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM. You can also use the trap fields as the guest of a member.

Thanks, Mike

I'll toss them in the car, just in case I'm not totally shot out from the class.

I'm really looking forward to this.

K

Thanks, Mike

I'll toss them in the car, just in case I'm not totally shot out from the class.

I'm really looking forward to this.

K

I think you will be done after the class. BTW - etiquette for USPSA and IDPA is to come early and help set-up or stay after the match and take down the stages or both. For the class, we will not need help with the set up as there is only one stage but help with clean up would be appreciated.