rauchman

An interesting Sat Morning at the Bullet Hole

Greetings,

Was at the Bullet Hole Sat. morning to sling some lead from my 2nd gen G17 & G19. I have to shoot more as my groups were "ok", especially when I 1st got there. Once warmed up, I was better, but not shooting as well as I have in the past.

I digress....

I met a really nice guy named Skyler (spelling?). He was kind enough to let me shoot some rounds through his HK P30L. He had quite a collection of uber cool stuff. HK30L w/ Heine sights, HK45, HK USP45 Tactical w/ Vortex flash hider, HK P7M8 in hard chrome w/ wood grips... and an M1A1 in a Troy tactical stock w/ Magpul PRS butt stock and Aimpoint. Some really really nice stuff. Have to say, firing the P30L was a treat. Firing it, it felt almost spongy in the recoil. Of course the ergos' were outstanding. HK really hit one outta the park ergonomic wise w/ their newer polymer offerings. I really liked the Heine sights. They were the 2 dot model w/ a terrific sight picture. I was very surprised that when the M1A1 was fired, it seemed quieter than an AR15.

Another guy pulled up w/ an FNP45. I didn't shoot it, but it is a pistol I lust over. Another guy was "hittin" it w/ a 12 guage pump of some sort, shooting slug and buckshot. I've never seen a slug on paper. Love the perfectly cut "large" hole it puts in the paper. I'd hate to find out what that does to people.

But the best part was..... with all the snow predictions, the range at the Bullet Hole was pretty empty!!!! Something not often seen these days.

Sounds like you had fun.

I love range time as I tend to shoot other people's guns more than my own.

I love my HK P30. It's a superb gun.

As to slugs and paper...here's a 12ga through my Mossberg 9200 at 50yrds with iron sights. (Matt is my witness)

shotguntarget.jpg

Pure luck, don't let him kid you. Notice theres only one shot on the paper :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok Mr "I blew my target apart and had to paper in the 2 foot by 3 foot target board" sighting in my 7mm 08...I took 5 shots that day. I had 3 targets on the board...this one was in the middle and my last and final shot from the box.

nice, glad you had a good time. I love my P30L, and still going back and forth over selling it. lol. Was going to trade it for a Desert Eagle, but that deal fell through.

Loaded with Gold Dots, great HD gun. And you are absolutely right, the ergo's are top notch, and you have adjustable side and back straps.

best of all.... the gun loves hotter and higher grain rounds, and it is absolutely the easiest gun to clean. Even after 200 rounds, inside of the frame is squeaky clean.

For some reason, every polymer HK i've shot pinches my trigger finger. I just can't figure it out? I think it has something to do with that lump in the trigger guard.

I did rent a P7 at shore shot one time, that was a fun gun!

Yup, that P30 was REALLY nice!!! I loved the Heinie sights that this one was sporting too. As much as I'd love to have one, does it make sense that I wouldn't keep it for HD purposes. It's just too ..... nice!!! Glocks, yeah sure, they're tools and I have no problem thinking of a Glock that way, but the HK........ I couldn't imagine being in an HD situation where I then have to turn the gun over as evidence. T'was a really nice shooter though. I've following a thread off of M4C.net and pistol-training.com, where the author Todd G, has over 100K on an HK P30 w/ V4 LEM trigger. The V4 LEM trigger is supposed to be a fairly light DAO pull, somewhere around 4.5 lbs. That sounds pretty interesting.

Who am I trying to kid? I want a P30, but am going to wait for the P30L/S.

I've been toying w/ an M&P9 w/ thumb safety. I have the M&P40, and it's nice and all, but I've never been a big fan of the .40. I like the M&P, especially now after doing trigger work to it. The ergos are good. The HKP30 ergo's are AMAZING though!!!! Oh, the wife is not going to be happy!!!

Seeing as how everyone is expressing love for thier HKs, I got this e-mail this morning from CDNN. I have bought several guns from these guys. They have near wholesale pricing.

And I agree with JonF about the HK P7. Selling my P7M8 was the second stupidest gun-related action I have ever done, next to punching myself in the face when holding a pistol-gripped shotgun a little too high.

CDNN Sports, Inc.

HK PISTOLS BELOW DISTRIBUTOR COST!

BUY 2 GET FREE SHIPPING!_____________________________________________________________________________________

CALL 800-588-9500 TO ORDER TODAY

Offer Expires Thursday February 11th @ 7:00pm cst.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

HK USP

Greetings,

Was at the Bullet Hole Sat. morning to sling some lead from my 2nd gen G17 & G19. I have to shoot more as my groups were "ok", especially when I 1st got there. Once warmed up, I was better, but not shooting as well as I have in the past.

I digress....

I met a really nice guy named Skyler (spelling?). He was kind enough to let me shoot some rounds through his HK P30L. He had quite a collection of uber cool stuff. HK30L w/ Heine sights, HK45, HK USP45 Tactical w/ Vortex flash hider, HK P7M8 in hard chrome w/ wood grips... and an M1A1 in a Troy tactical stock w/ Magpul PRS butt stock and Aimpoint. Some really really nice stuff. Have to say, firing the P30L was a treat. Firing it, it felt almost spongy in the recoil. Of course the ergos' were outstanding. HK really hit one outta the park ergonomic wise w/ their newer polymer offerings. I really liked the Heine sights. They were the 2 dot model w/ a terrific sight picture. I was very surprised that when the M1A1 was fired, it seemed quieter than an AR15.

Another guy pulled up w/ an FNP45. I didn't shoot it, but it is a pistol I lust over. Another guy was "hittin" it w/ a 12 guage pump of some sort, shooting slug and buckshot. I've never seen a slug on paper. Love the perfectly cut "large" hole it puts in the paper. I'd hate to find out what that does to people.

But the best part was..... with all the snow predictions, the range at the Bullet Hole was pretty empty!!!! Something not often seen these days.

I'm Skyler. Nice to meet you Saturday!

P.S.- The guy with the FNP was giving me REALLY dirty looks the entire time he was there. Literally staring me down. Not sure what that was about.

Just in the "for what's it's worth" category....

Folks seem to keep their P30s....they tend to sell their P30Ls. Just and observation I've noted on the HKpro website.

By all means if you want an L, go for it, but people seem to prefer the non L in the long term. Shrug.

Folks seem to keep their P30s....they tend to sell their P30Ls. Just and observation I've noted on the HKpro website.

By all means if you want an L, go for it, but people seem to prefer the non L in the long term. Shrug.

I love my L. Some people just prefer more compact guns. No use for them here in NJ, you can't CCW them regardless. I'll take the extra site radius any day.

I love my L. Some people just prefer more compact guns. No use for them here in NJ, you can't CCW them regardless. I'll take the extra site radius any day.

I want both. I paid 1k for mine....it was a luxury item at the time and I won't be getting an L but I want to shoot one. When we crank up the events as it gets warmer, I expect to shoot yours or mak's or whomevers. heh.

I want both. I paid 1k for mine....it was a luxury item at the time and I won't be getting an L but I want to shoot one. When we crank up the events as it gets warmer, I expect to shoot yours or mak's or whomevers. heh.

I'd be happy to let you put a mag through it. Mine's been tinkered with a bit, and it's a great shooter. Bill Springfield massaged the trigger and the thing points and shoots perfectly.

I'm thinking of selling my P7M8 as I just can't bring myself to like it. It doesn't feel comfortable in my hands and I don't shoot it well no matter what I try. Good thing is it's worth more now than when I first bought it.

Greetings,

I digress....

I'm Skyler. Nice to meet you Saturday!

P.S.- The guy with the FNP was giving me REALLY dirty looks the entire time he was there. Literally staring me down. Not sure what that was about.

Greetings Skyler!!!

Very nice to meet you as well. And wow, you have an HK collection to be envious of. Again, thanks for letting me take a few rounds on the P30L. When I went back to my G17 & G19 I was shooting, they felt so..... crude. I haven't shot my USP45F for a while (really a function of expensive ammo), but I have to put a few rounds through it. Of the pistols in my collection, that would be one of the last to go.

I noticed you shot very well and were able to put accurate rounds on target pretty quickly. Have you taken any classes? You must practice a lot.

I'm hoping to be at the BH this coming Sat morning to get some range time in. Let me know the next time your down there.

Regarding the FNP guy, I'm sure it was jealousy. As nice as the FNP is, it doesn't have the yum yum factor of the HK.

+1 If I had the money for both, I'd do that. If I could only have one, it would be the "L".

Greetings,

I digress....

I was there Rauchman. I was shooting the kimber and the glocks that sounded like magnums...

I was there with my kimbers and Glocks that day, and saw the guy with the Troy gun. Nice stuff.

One guy asked me if I was shooting magnums in my glock...

Greetings,

I digress....

I was there Rauchman. I was shooting the kimber and the glocks that sounded like magnums...

I was there with my kimbers and Glocks that day, and saw the guy with the Troy gun. Nice stuff.

Greetings Megaman,

Were you the guy going to AZ hunting? I s/w a gent there about 10mm handguns and he mentioned he was going to AZ to visit his sister and do some hunting.

Greetings Skyler!!!

Very nice to meet you as well. And wow, you have an HK collection to be envious of. Again, thanks for letting me take a few rounds on the P30L. When I went back to my G17 & G19 I was shooting, they felt so..... crude. I haven't shot my USP45F for a while (really a function of expensive ammo), but I have to put a few rounds through it. Of the pistols in my collection, that would be one of the last to go.

I noticed you shot very well and were able to put accurate rounds on target pretty quickly. Have you taken any classes? You must practice a lot.

I'm hoping to be at the BH this coming Sat morning to get some range time in. Let me know the next time your down there.

Regarding the FNP guy, I'm sure it was jealousy. As nice as the FNP is, it doesn't have the yum yum factor of the HK.

Thanks for the compliments. I've taken a few classes but nothing very intensive. It's all about the little, tiny tweaks. An extra quarter inch of overlap in your hands or just a teeny bit more trigger finger can completely change your shooting. I'd love to fly out and take some dedicated tactical courses, and I plan on doing that this summer. It's all about practice, practice, practice for me. I try to get to the range a few times a month and really go at it.

Did you see the guy to my left with the kimber 1911? That guy was putting holes through holes the entire time, he was very good with that weapon.

Thanks for the compliments. I've taken a few classes but nothing very intensive. It's all about the little, tiny tweaks. An extra quarter inch of overlap in your hands or just a teeny bit more trigger finger can completely change your shooting. I'd love to fly out and take some dedicated tactical courses, and I plan on doing that this summer. It's all about practice, practice, practice for me. I try to get to the range a few times a month and really go at it.

Did you see the guy to my left with the kimber 1911? That guy was putting holes through holes the entire time, he was very good with that weapon.

I know what you mean about subtle grip modifications. My problem is doing those subtle changes consistently. I used to work w/ a guy who used to be in the Marines. He was on the USMC shooting team and used to compete w/ an M14 and 1911. I went shooting w/ him once and learned more from him in 1 hour than I would have in a year(s) just shooting on my own. By the end of that session, my groups were down by better than 1/2. I do dry fire excercises just about everynight (the wife just loooovvvesss that!!!). Unfortunately, for me, dry fire practicing does not allow for practicing multishots on target, which is where I really need work.

Of the HK pistols that you brought to the range that day, which is your fav? Do you find the HK45 a significant step up from the USP Tactical?

I know what you mean about subtle grip modifications. My problem is doing those subtle changes consistently. I used to work w/ a guy who used to be in the Marines. He was on the USMC shooting team and used to compete w/ an M14 and 1911. I went shooting w/ him once and learned more from him in 1 hour than I would have in a year(s) just shooting on my own. By the end of that session, my groups were down by better than 1/2. I do dry fire excercises just about everynight (the wife just loooovvvesss that!!!). Unfortunately, for me, dry fire practicing does not allow for practicing multishots on target, which is where I really need work.

Of the HK pistols that you brought to the range that day, which is your fav? Do you find the HK45 a significant step up from the USP Tactical?

The HK45 is by far my favorite. Very little recoil for a .45, extremely easy to control, the SA trigger pull is exquisite for a polymer gun and it is EXTREMELY accurate. This is the gun that Larry Vickers designed alongside H&K to be the 1911 for the 21st century, and it shows. If it weren't for Beretta's backdoor dealings with our armed forces, I'm confident our boys would be carrying them overseas.

You can take all my other guns, just leave me with my .45.

As for the P30L that you shot, it's basically a hybrid between a P2000 and an HK45. It doesn't have the match-grade sear of the HK45 so the trigger pull isn't quite as crisp, and of course it's a 9mm so the recoil characteristics are different. Easiest gun to clean ever which is a huge plus.

The HK45 is by far my favorite. Very little recoil for a .45, extremely easy to control, the SA trigger pull is exquisite for a polymer gun and it is EXTREMELY accurate. This is the gun that Larry Vickers designed alongside H&K to be the 1911 for the 21st century, and it shows. If it weren't for Beretta's backdoor dealings with our armed forces, I'm confident our boys would be carrying them overseas.

You can take all my other guns, just leave me with my .45.

As for the P30L that you shot, it's basically a hybrid between a P2000 and an HK45. It doesn't have the match-grade sear of the HK45 so the trigger pull isn't quite as crisp, and of course it's a 9mm so the recoil characteristics are different. Easiest gun to clean ever which is a huge plus.

Well, if the P30L is any indication, then I HAVE to get my mits on an HK45 to shoot. I was REALLY REALLY impressed w/ the P30L. I can only imagine what the HK45 is like. When I had first gotten my USP45F, I thought it was the finest .45 out there. Just based on asthetics, the USP seems very crude in comparison to the HK45. I have 2 Purchaser's Permits sitting around. I was really thinking of getting another Glock (was originally going for a G26, but am very curious about the Gen 4 Glocks) or another M&P (was really considering a M&P9C). After shooting that P30L though, ..... plans have changed.

:D:D

Well, if the P30L is any indication, then I HAVE to get my mits on an HK45 to shoot. I was REALLY REALLY impressed w/ the P30L. I can only imagine what the HK45 is like. When I had first gotten my USP45F, I thought it was the finest .45 out there. Just based on asthetics, the USP seems very crude in comparison to the HK45. I have 2 Purchaser's Permits sitting around. I was really thinking of getting another Glock (was originally going for a G26, but am very curious about the Gen 4 Glocks) or another M&P (was really considering a M&P9C). After shooting that P30L though, ..... plans have changed.

:D:D

If you tried the HK45 you'd be at the retail counter in 2 minutes picking one up. Picture your USP45F with the ergos of the P30L, the trigger of a USP Tactical, and the recoil of a 9mm.

Greetings,

I digress....

Greetings Megaman,

Were you the guy going to AZ hunting? I s/w a gent there about 10mm handguns and he mentioned he was going to AZ to visit his sister and do some hunting.

Thats me! and the glock 20 sits in the safe at the bullet hole as I just bought a pistol on tuesday...now I have to wait for aunt weinberg to let me get my second gun....

Greetings Skyler!!!

Hi Cylinder Head! Its me Mega with the kimbers to your left. Its all about practice and awareness.

I will reccommend any book by Brian Enos to get your pistol skills up.

Hope to see you soon!

Great weapon collection you have, awesome shit.

Hi Cylinder Head! Its me Mega with the kimbers to your left. Its all about practice and awareness.

Hope to see you soon!

Great weapon collection you have, awesome ****.

Haha this forum is GREAT!! Nice to meet you on Saturday, I'll definitely pick up a book by Mr. Enos. It's rare to meet people at the Bullet Hole who can actually hit the paper, let alone shoot something resembling a group. You've really pushed me to add a 1911 to my collection.

Hope to see you soon!

Great weapon collection you have, awesome ****.

Haha this forum is GREAT!! Nice to meet you on Saturday, I'll definitely pick up a book by Mr. Enos. It's rare to meet people at the Bullet Hole who can actually hit the paper, let alone shoot something resembling a group. You've really pushed me to add a 1911 to my collection.

I know this forum is making all of us such good friends! Thanks! I make it a point, like going to the gym, to go shoot at least 1x per week. You just need to stay aware of what you are doing when it feels good. I love my 1911's (its all I compete with) because I feel like I am driving it into my hand, and it goes wherever I want it to go.

Cylinder Head, have you ever had a FTE with the HK45? I had a problem with a bran new one this week using what I believe was weak reloads. At least I hope that was the problem. I'm going to try some new quality stuff next week and hold my breath.

Mike

Cylinder Head, have you ever had a FTE with the HK45? I had a problem with a bran new one this week using what I believe was weak reloads. At least I hope that was the problem. I'm going to try some new quality stuff next week and hold my breath.

Mike

I know I had that weak reload issue with my Colt Gold Cup. Thankfully that gun came with an extra, reduced power, spring for shooting wadcutters. The weak reloads I brewed up at first caused me to need this. If those will be what you're shooting in the future, maybe one of these reduced power Wolff springs would work.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pag ... D=1&mID=26

Mike

Don't hold your breath, it's not the gun it's the ammo.

HK recoil springs require a bit of a breakin. 200-300 rounds or rack it a few hundred times. They're designed for NATO spec and +p+ rounds, which are pretty hot. I've NEVER had a single malfunction with the HK45 that wasn't ammo related.