Chad

Very basic reloading questions

I collect my brass and my father in law reloads it for me. . .

I'd like to at least clean it for him first.

So, I purchased a RCBS vibratory tumbler, as well as corn cob media & a hand sifter thing with the crank arm. Here are my questions...

1. Just dump it in and let it go?

2. How long does it have to run for, or just until its clean?

3. Will the corn cob media polish the brass as well or do I need an additional additive?

4. Leave the primers in while tumbling right? They get removed after cleaning? I don't have a press so I can't remove them anyway.

bry@n, everyone knows there is no wax in the car wash, they just put in those colored lamps to make you think something is happening and charge you for the "extras", :o hahahahaha

(Sorry Chad, could not resist! It drives Tamaric crazy when I say that! :banana-dance: )

lmao John I'll bet they go nuts when you say that!!!! People say that all the time and its so frustrating....when they are not joking like you of course lol.

My reply is yes, the blue, yellow and pink foam smothering your car from top to bottom is fake, its not really there. :roll:

Thanks for the tips gentlemen, I will pick up some nu-finish today. How much should I add? Add it right to the media?

Great idea with the dryer sheets.

Yes, he knows I am just kidding, I have been "behind the lines" and saw how they work. Just a little Nu-Finish , maybe a little less than 1/4 cap, and it is best to add it to the media first, let it shake a minute and then add the brass.

So, I got my stuff in the mail today, and I'm cleaning brass as we speak.

Its pretty cool. How do you get dust with the lid on? I didn't have any dryer sheets and I wanted to give it a shot for a few minutes. I just screwed the lid on and there is no dust at all...? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? How much media should be in the bowl? I have it about 3/4 of the way full. It has been running for about an hour now, brass looks much cleaner. I did not pick up the nu-finish either, I didn't have a chance to pick it up today.

The outside of the shell is nice and clean, but the inside still has some black crud all the way at the bottom near the primer, will that eventually come out?

My first batch is sifted and clean. Dull, but clean. I polished it with a towel just to see and it was shiny. I guess the polish really makes a difference. I had no dust at all while sifting. I went slow, all came right out. With the exception of some residue inside the bowl, there was no mess at all.

Because I'm reusing the media, do I need to add the polish to every batch, or just add it to the media once?