Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

Can someone answer this please? Mossberg 930 SPX

Hi..

Can someone please settle this once and for all for me? Someone I , uh, know.... Bought a Mossberg 930 SPX at Dick's Sporting Goods, but one across the river in PA. It's the full standard stock, 18.5" Home Defense model, with a 7-shot Choate magazine (+1) ...

I have seen so many arguments back and forth if this is NJ legal or not. Buyer had no idea it could possibly be illegal when purchased... What's the deal?

Please help, thanks.

Someone else will probably give a drawn out explanation. But my understanding is that the 930SPX model is a semi-automatic shotgun, and because of this the max limit is six rounds.

ETA: I did a quick search of the forums, and I know the wording can be tricky (with the ruling of semi-automatic shotguns). My answer is NOT definitive, and for the sake of your "buddy" I hope I can be proved wrong.

Hi..

Can someone please settle this once and for all for me? Someone I , uh, know.... Bought a Mossberg 930 SPX at Dick's Sporting Goods, but one across the river in PA. It's the full standard stock, 18.5" Home Defense model, with a 7-shot Choate magazine (+1) ...

I have seen so many arguments back and forth if this is NJ legal or not. Buyer had no idea it could possibly be illegal when purchased... What's the deal?

Please help, thanks.

If it is semi-automatic shotgun with any of the following features it is banned:

(3) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

This may be a stupid question, but isn't it illegal to buy a gun in a state other than the one you reside in?

As stated, you can buy a long gun out of state. However, the condition for that sale is that the gun must be legal in both the state of purchase and the state of residence. The buyer would need to show his FPID card and fill out the eligibility form. If the dealer wasn't cognizant of NJ law, then he should have erred on the side of caution and not sold it. Sounds like this may be an easy fix, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A few points to be clarified, IMHO:

... I have seen so many arguments back and forth if this is NJ legal or not. Buyer had no idea it could possibly be illegal when purchased... What's the deal? ...

... However, the condition for that sale is that the gun must be legal in both the state of purchase and the state of residence ...
The "sale" was LEGAL if the COE was used and the purchase was made from a dealer. The firearm need not be NJ legal if it never crossed the border. One may purchase pre-ban firearms out of state if they are kept out of state.
  • Like 1

You can buy a handgun in any state you wish but you have to take delivery in your home state from a FFL

+1

Rifles, shotguns, black powder, and bb guns(what a joke). If purchasing out if state you need a COE(certificate of eligibility). One copy goes to you and the other has to be mailed to the indicated party. If it's an internet form print two copies, fill them both out, and keep one as your copy. Don't take my word. One of our corporate trainers always says, "In God We Trust. All others bring data." http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

Directions are on it.

I forgot to mention. You pay the sales tax of the state you purchase it. Delaware has no sales tax. ;)

I'm trying to buy a Mossberg 930 spx. I went to Cabela in Pennsylvania and they had my on hold for some back ground check. Can any one tell me we can buy this gun?

You can buy it if it has a mag capacity of 6 or less and doesn't have a pistol grip or collapsible stock.... Read the thread

If it is semi-automatic shotgun with any of the following features it is banned:

(3) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

That's not true. I search for the info from the district attorney's office, legislator's office and even the State Police which I found that they don't even understand it them self's. Section III they call it the three evils. 1 if the gun has a hand grip, 2 if the gun has a folding stock, 3 if the gun has 6 or more in the magazine. Now mine you Dick's Sporting Good Store sells these gun with 7 in the magazine. I even ask them and they said that the gun is legal as long as the gun doesn't have the pistol grip or the folding stock. As long as you gun doesn't have that, the gun is legal. Now if Dick's Sporting Goods are selling these guns we can have them too. Because the gun store manager that sold me the gun told me that the weapon is legal as long as the gun doesn't have a folding stock or a pistol grip. Because they consider these guns a long rifles.

That's not true. I search for the info from the district attorney's office, legislator's office and even the State Police which I found that they don't even understand it them self's. Section III they call it the three evils. 1 if the gun has a hand grip, 2 if the gun has a folding stock, 3 if the gun has 6 or more in the magazine. Now mine you Dick's Sporting Good Store sells these gun with 7 in the magazine. I even ask them and they said that the gun is legal as long as the gun doesn't have the pistol grip or the folding stock. As long as you gun doesn't have that, the gun is legal. Now if Dick's Sporting Goods are selling these guns we can have them too. Because the gun store manager that sold me the gun told me that the weapon is legal as long as the gun doesn't have a folding stock or a pistol grip. Because they consider these guns a long rifles.

I'm not exactly sure what you think is not true, your post is a bit all over the place, but the bit you quoted is certainly true. It doesn't matter what your semi-auto shotgun has or does not have, 6 round magazine is the maximum. If Dicks sells something stupid, that is between them and the state police and more importantly between the buyer and the state police, but it doesn't change the law, which is very clearly worded.

Dont base your firearms laws on what places sell. A lot of places dont know the laws. Bullet Hole at one point was selling pistol grip semi auto shotguns. Very illegal and pretty obviously illegal. 6 is the limit In the tube with one in the chamber. Plain and simple.

A short history lesson:
In 1990, the NJ "Assault Weapons" Ban was placed into law prohibiting all semi-auto shotguns to a magazine limit of 6 rounds, no pistol grip, and no folding stock. [refer to NJS 2C:39-1w(3)]. In 1996, the NJ Attorney General addressed what "substantially identical" meant in the law [reference], and incorrectly stated that 5 was the maximum capacity and none can have two (not one) evil features. Therefore, it is the current opinion of all that a semi-auto shotgun can not have a folding stock, a pistol grip, or a magazine capacity exceeding 6 rounds (6+1).