Celraysoda

Melting salvaged range lead

Chad, there have to be tire places around one of your places? When I had my shop, I gave all my lead to one of the custodians who made it into fishing weights. Now I wish I had saved a few hundred pounds for myself :o

Another source is plumbers who work in older towns and cities. Closet bends (pipes under toilets) used to all be lead. My brother and I removed a lead water supply pipe to a house he had redone years ago. I think it went in the dumpster (DOH!).

You can look it up, but I have been cautioned to NOT use old car batteries (which of course are chock full of lead).

Another source is plumbers who work in older towns and cities. Closet bends (pipes under toilets) used to all be lead. My brother and I removed a lead water supply pipe to a house he had redone years ago. I think it went in the dumpster (DOH!).

You can look it up, but I have been cautioned to NOT use old car batteries (which of course are chock full of lead).

NO CAR BATTERIES

I imagine it is too hard to get all the sulfuric acid neutralized? And you thought those old primers were corrosive?

Apparently, the lead in the chemical process becomes porous on the molecular level and absorbs the sulfuric acid. Adding heat (melting the lead) liberates the acid...

Thanks a lot guys.

Chad,

Someone can bring a bucket and a card to a larger tire shop and speak to someone in charge. Explain what you are doing and say that you can come by once a month to empty their bucket of discarded weights. Usually they pay someone to pick them up but if you tell them that you recycle it yourself, they won't think you are trying to resell it.

I have seen a bucket at a tire place with the guy's name and phone number written on the side... he beat me to it! :x

A while back prices of scrap lead went way up. We clean out our bullet traps one a year and get several hundred pounds (enough to fill several 55 gallon drums) and the dealer picks them up bringing a few hundred into the club. You will be competing with scrap scroungers who bring it to recycling centers but if you hit it right you could get a decent supply. Try the Autozone / VIP Auto too. they do tire replacements.

The days of the clip on weights are probably coming to an end with the newer alum wheels. Printers stopped using it years ago. Forget batteries. The earlier post pointed out the hazards of that. I tried it once. Don't even think about it. Just cracking the case is next to impossible and the lead is mush.

By the way, don't make my mistake and try to melt the lead indoors. You never get rid of the stink.

I about to pick up about 100 Lbs of lead pipe for scrape? But I don't reload, what to do with it?

From what I hear, lead goes for about $.80 - $1.00 per lb.

Price has gone up since Obama has been sending huge amounts of lead to China. Either sell it or start casting. :D

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot in my area...thanks for the tip.

What do you mean by a card though?

One guy I was speaking to says he drops off a card with the bucket. Gives a brief explanation on what he is doing. Also has his name and phone number just in case the guy who is there isn't the one who is in charge or they have questions.