Sign in to follow this  
LibertyOrDeath

AR15:Underwater shooting test by HK.

This vid is cool but looks very edited. If you look at the buttstock on the catastropic failure (competitor rifle) you dont see any water coming out on discharge but the HK has water being blown out of the buttstock on every discharge. Do you think the competitor rifle was intentionally setup to fail? What's your thoughts forum?

This has been discussed previously (I'm too tired to search for it :( ).

Regarding the tests, most likely a bit bias, but is it true for the most part? Yea. I'm not an armorer, and I couldn't tell you if the most recent DI ARs would have the same level of catastrophic failure as demonstrated, but I know there are far better options out there.

Honestly though, here's my perspective. Unless the US becomes heavily involved in a long, sustaining fight in a heavily tropical region where water plays a huge obstacle, designs like the 416, SCAR, ACR, XCR, and the likes will be used by units that are allowed to deviate based on their SOP (SOCOM for example)... however they will not be used by conventional military types because there is no need for that type of specialization (yet). I only bring up this point because I think its the best application for such a debate... even if I had a 416 or whatnot, I wouldn't be in any type of "over the beach" situations. However, the operators definitely would benefit from such a platform.

Check out the other "over the beach" tests (just type that in YouTube).

Im not sure of this test in particuler but I would think system doesnt matter if there is enough water in the barrel to cause a barrel blockage type failure. Now the real diff between a DI and a piston gun is that water can cause a gas tube rupture in the DI gun. Since there is no tube in a piston gun, no tube to rupture.

I know one thing, the music was from the movie "Das Boat"!

It's Das Boot not Das Boat ;)

He shot the HK with the open bolt about 3 seconds after pulling it from the water. He shot after about 2 seconds for the Colt. I don't know if that made a difference.

If I had 3 grand to blow on a rifle I'd buy one. :D

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr556_general.asp

He shot the HK with the open bolt about 3 seconds after pulling it from the water. He shot after about 2 seconds for the Colt. I don't know if that made a difference.

Whatever, NAZI!

btw, you would blow on a rifle? Why?

Whatever, NAZI!

btw, you would blow on a rifle? Why?

Err spend on a rifle. If it were still 3 grand concerning the other thing you mentioned it'd better be a weekend with Ashley Dupre. :lol: