Maksim

Poll, How many guns? and Is there too much?

Here is a great post from GlockTalk.

I would have said you cannot have enough guns until I seen that TV show Hoarders, and I watched part of the episode with the guy who was a gun collector.

When you have so many guns that you simply forget some of them exist and let other clutter and junk pile up on them until they are buried, you have too many.

When you let your house go to heck and your family is dirt poor because you need another gun and you don't want to sell any you already have, you have too many.

My opinion is as long as you can send several rounds through each one every year and not neglect any particular firearm then no biggie. When you have firearms that aren't ever used, then you have too much IMO. With that being said I would NEVER support limiting firearm purchases to a particular number. If you have the coin to buy em, you deserve to own em.

As for me personally, I only legally own 1 gun, and the others in my sig are owned by my father, however I am the only person who shoots/takes care of them.

I am a collector of military surplus from several different countries and of the SKS variants from all over the world.

Do I need them all no, do I shoot them all no, they each get a trip to the range once cleaned to vfy function but after some just sit and look pretty. Each one I purchase I get at a price that I will always make my money back if not more so they are investments for me more or less not going to make me rich but I will never take a loss either. Some guns that I have are pieces of world history I hope to pass them down to my children or my Nephew and keep them in the family for a long time to come. As far as what you need and do not need that is subjective, no one needs everything but the kitchen sink on a AR but it seems to be the thing to do these day's before they are even shot.

I know guy's that have a DVD collection that rivals block buster, do they watch them all no, will they ever maybe but most likely not more then once but they keep buying. I do not think I will ever stop collecting, I spend more money then most and average 2 firearms a month usually but I have the money to spend right now. I never sell something to fund another, before I purchase something I think would I ever want to let this go if yes then it does not get bought. The only rifle I have ever bought that means nothing to me is My GSG-5SD but I still cannot bring myself to let it go since the have been discontinued and I know that it will become some sort of collectors piece down the line because of the huge following they have.

If there is something I want and I do not have the cash then it's time to stop buying and save.

As far as ammo, I can probably shoot 2 to 3 times a week for many years and not need to restock in most calibers.

Some guy's like to have fancy car's, others have the need to wear $100.00 jeans, and be seen on their I phones and replace it every year when a new one comes out. I blew my load on that stuff in my early 20's and have grown out of it. I have a nice home, my family has everything they want so until that changes I will keep spending what I do and buying. My main issue is storage, always running out going to end up dedicating a small room to my collection and building in the wall racks.

I would have said you cannot have enough guns until I seen that TV show Hoarders, and I watched part of the episode with the guy who was a gun collector.

When you have so many guns that you simply forget some of them exist and let other clutter and junk pile up on them until they are buried, you have too many.

When you let your house go to heck and your family is dirt poor because you need another gun and you don't want to sell any you already have, you have too many.

Hoarding is not collecting it is a sickness apples to oranges.

Collectors look for specific things from a specific place, time and price range.

Hoarders buy anything and everything scavenge from trash and hold onto garbage that does not work.

It's like saying a Museum is nothing but a hoard of garbage, it's a collection of artifacts from a specific place a time.

Many serious firearms collectors have collections that rival or one up some military museums.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/gun-collection.shtml

This is pretty extensive and far from hoarding.

My 0.02,

If you can afford it what difference does it make?

Yeah 1 or 2 are fine for HD, but what if you just like to shoot various guns?

Some days I like to shoot a revolver, some days a 40 auto and somedays just to plink away with a 22.

When you get to the point where you are trying to decide to pay the mortgage or buy a new gun,

I would say you're probably over your limit.

9mm and .22lr

1 12ga Shotgun

Can you have tooo many guns?

NO

Do you see a limit for yourself?

Yes.... old saying " Beware of the man with 1 gun" ..... I enjoy my 9mm, I enjoy knowing I am becoming proficient with it....

I have a desire for a 1911, and a revolver.... but might never fulfill those desires...

I'm in the camp that you should buy guns for a purpose.

Let me list some purposes

-You like to hunt

-you like to defend your home

-you like concealed carry

-you like to be ready for the Zombie apocalypse

-you like to be ready for societal breakdown

-you like to blow shit up

-you like to look at big pile of guns

-you like to piss off your wife(ahem)

-you like to spend your money

-you like thinks that make bright flashes of lights and loud noises.

That should about cover it.

I do think you need some variety in caliber, meaning...rifle/pistol/shotgun.

I think everyone should have a .22 for the simple fact that the cheap ammo will improve your firearm skills because you shoot more.

I think everyone should have a shotgun with some buckshot. You may need it to defend your life. Your pistol is only there so that you can fight your way to your superior firearm, meaning shotgun or rifle or to defend yourself where you can't have a superior firearm.

Too much means that you've handed all your guns out to your good friends and neighbors in a SHTF event and you've still got the same amount still in the safe.

1 Long range rifle - dpms 308

check

1 medium range rifle - Saiga

check

1 close range carbine - cx4 storm

check

1 shotgun - mossberg pump

check

2 sidearms - Glock 23

almost done.. still need one more sidearm (for my g/f)..

all of my firearms serve a specific role.. they were each purchased with specific applications in mind.. the rest of the money goes to ammo, and range time, and eventually reloading (i hope)

having 8 million guns in crazy obscure calibers is not really the type of collecting i do, i mean i can appreciate the firearms collector.. a lot of firearms have interesting application and or history so to collect various firearms i get it.. just not for me.. i just would rather own a few that i can shoot really well and am comfortable with.. and i do the best i can to stick to readily available calibers....

I will not say a number of how many I have for opsec reasons, but I am into historical pieces. I am a collector and can say that my collection is more like a museum(those who have seen it know what I am talking about). I can say I do have guns that dont get shot, like my documented bringback k98 LSR sniper or my Peter the Great m91 that is loaded with shrapnel. I look at my collection as an investment with a practical application, I can actually go out and play with them. They cannot go back and make more WWII mausers(Unless you are Mitchels) or m1's or any other historical firearm, hence the value keeps going up. That is why when I see a nice example that "talks" to me for a fair price, I invest in it.

They cannot go back and make more WWII mausers(Unless you are Mitchels) or m1's or any other historical firearm, hence the value keeps going up.

Got that right, do not even get me started on Mitchels.... :D

I would love to see some photo's of your collection some time, by the sounds of it I am already in love and full of envy.

Just picked up a Browning Hi Power 1944 with all original marking, matching magazine and holster and 0 import marks.

Not the rarest or most valuable of all WWII Nazi pistols but for the price I got it for it can be easily sold for double.

This will be shot once to make sure it's in safe working order then given to my son if I ever have one if not handed

down to my Nephew to give to his kids.