Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

How difficult/expensive is it to open a range?

That must be a south Jersey thing.

When a brick and mortar store doesn't have any other brick and mortar competition then they usually don't have great customer service. Sometimes it pays to be the only gig in town. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying it's in the interests of the business, especially long term but it seems to be the norm.

Personally, I don't see any new ranges opening in NJ anytime soon. Too much red tape hassle. If I were to open a range, I would open one up on PA, just across the river.

Not saying this is a business plan, just something I sometimes dream about.

One of my requirements to use my range would be that anyone carrying would have to notify the staff, and present proof of legally carrying. I would also have signs posted declaring my right to refuse entry to anyone. Any LEO from NJ would be turned away. Why? To let them experience what we go through--discrimination based on gun ownership.

Personally, I don't see any new ranges opening in NJ anytime soon. Too much red tape hassle. If I were to open a range, I would open one up on PA, just across the river.

Not saying this is a business plan, just something I sometimes dream about.

One of my requirements to use my range would be that anyone carrying would have to notify the staff, and present proof of legally carrying. I would also have signs posted declaring my right to refuse entry to anyone. Any LEO from NJ would be turned away. Why? To let them experience what we go through--discrimination based on gun ownership.

:icon_rolleyes:

Since when do LEOs write the laws?

:icon_rolleyes:

Since when do LEOs write the laws?

I know they don't, but the police unions always seem to support any legislation that hurts gun owners. Because police unions are made up of LEO's, let them experience some kind of consequence for their actions.

As I said, just a dream, not a plan. It's overzealous LEOs in NJ that arrest people like Brian Aitken or Greg Revell. So, let them miss out on the best, most state of the art (albeit imaginary) range for regularly violating our second amendment rights.

Most LEO's I know are staunch supporters of gun rights... including the NJSP. Only the AG is anti - gun.

As far as gun store... I would venture to guess that if you wanted to run a profitable gun store, it would be in NJ. Once you get beyond the barriers, you pretty much have little competition. Look at BA and SS... less than 2 miles away from each other, or Cheyenne and Sportsman's Center, 3 miles away... business for both has been booming.

When there are only 265 or so active FFL's in the state... and only a fraction still "doing business", you have a huge market. Keep in mind, anywhere between 850,000 and 1.1 mil gun owners in NJ. Lets say there are 50 active gun stores... that is 20,000 gun owners per store. fairly strong numbers. Realistically, you have at most 10 B&M locations.

In PA, yes you do have lower barriers to entry, however, anyone who is a serious collector has a C&R license, and there are more kitchen table FFL's in PA than there are drug dealers in NJ.