hentaidesu

Transporting w/o a Car?

I live in the NY suburbs and take the PATH to work, so I don't own a car. All the information I've found about legally transporting guns in NJ is from the perspective of a car owner (in trunk w/ammo in separate area, etc.). Does anyone know how (or if) I can legally transport a gun on the street w/o a car (i.e. while walking or on a bicycle). Is it legal to have a gun on public transit under any circumstances (locked in a box w/ammo separate, etc.)? Basically I just want to know if it's possible for me to get from my apartment to a range w/o accidentally committing a felony....

I live in the NY suburbs and take the PATH to work, so I don't own a car. All the information I've found about legally transporting guns in NJ is from the perspective of a car owner (in trunk w/ammo in separate area, etc.). Does anyone know how (or if) I can legally transport a gun on the street w/o a car (i.e. while walking or on a bicycle). Is it legal to have a gun on public transit under any circumstances (locked in a box w/ammo separate, etc.)? Basically I just want to know if it's possible for me to get from my apartment to a range w/o accidentally committing a felony....

Sadly I don't think so. Have a friend pick you up.

I live in the NY suburbs NY State? and take the PATH to work, Same state? so I don't own a car. All the information I've found about legally transporting guns in NJ is from the perspective of a car owner (in trunk w/ammo in separate area, etc.). Trunk of a car is an option. Does anyone know how (or if) I can legally transport a gun on the street w/o a car (i.e. while walking or on a bicycle). Yes. It is legal to do. See below. Is it legal to have a gun on public transit under any circumstances (locked in a box w/ammo separate, etc.)? Yes. Separate? Does not need to be. Basically I just want to know if it's possible for me to get from my apartment to a range w/o accidentally committing a felony.... Again, State of residence?
Also, a handgun and long gun are treated differently.
Short version:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

As long as your firearm is unloaded and in a case, you are within the law.

:angry-extinguishflame:

Just in case

Gun case on public transit...will draw a lot of unwanted attention.

That's why I got a Hardigg case. My advice would be to go to Guitar Center or Hot Topic and pick up a bunch of stickers to put on the case. Make it look like a guitar case. A peace symbol, a sticker from your favorite band, and of course the sticker that says, "Ban Country Music". :lol:

That's a interesting question. However I wouldn't say for sure that hand carrying the firearm would be acceptable. My thinking is based on the fact changes were made to take into acount the fact that many vehicles today do not have a saparate trunk area. The changes were made to document what would be an acceptable method of carry when a trunk isn't available. That can be read differently so case law would be needed to even begin to see what the thinking on the issue would be.

I live in the NY suburbs NY State? and take the PATH to work, Same state? so I don't own a car. All the information I've found about legally transporting guns in NJ is from the perspective of a car owner (in trunk w/ammo in separate area, etc.). Trunk of a car is an option. Does anyone know how (or if) I can legally transport a gun on the street w/o a car (i.e. while walking or on a bicycle). Yes. It is legal to do. See below. Is it legal to have a gun on public transit under any circumstances (locked in a box w/ammo separate, etc.)? Yes. Separate? Does not need to be. Basically I just want to know if it's possible for me to get from my apartment to a range w/o accidentally committing a felony.... Again, State of residence?
Short version:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Just in case

sorry, should have been clearer--i live in the NJ suburbs of NYC, and only work in NYC. i have no particular plans to carry across state lines--the gun would go from my apartment (in NJ) to a range (in NJ) and back.

anyway, is the consensus that if i were walking or on a bicycle, i'd be legal if i were carrying a an unloaded pistol, locked in a case, by hand or in a backpack or something?

Short version:

Just in case

sorry, should have been clearer--i live in the NJ suburbs of NYC, and only work in NYC. i have no particular plans to carry across state lines--the gun would go from my apartment (in NJ) to a range (in NJ) and back.

anyway, is the consensus that if i were walking or on a bicycle, i'd be legal if i were carrying a an unloaded pistol, locked in a case, by hand or in a backpack or something?

there is none as you are the first person that asked about it, and no one is about to give you legal advice. the bigger question is... where would you be going shooting, via public transport? and aside from a handgun, how would you about carrying a rifle? While it may or may not be legal, what about practicality? More importantly.... walking out of the range, and not going to a car... exactly how smart is that?

At the very least, consider a taxi.

where would you be going shooting, via public transport

When you think about it, it is a reasonable question. How does the NYC residents get to the various ranges located in the city. Few actually own cars and must use mass transportation to get around.

Adding the interstate angle makes it a bit more complicated though. Then various transportation agencies restrict firearms on their vehicles.

If you're going to take PATH I'd ask a PATH officer. NJ Transit ask one of their cops (if you can find one). Keep the case locked and closed and nobody will bother you. I'd keep the ammo out of sight as well. I don't remember seeing any information on prohibiting transport of firearms on NJT. It would be listed in the passenger code of conduct I believe. I'll ask a Transit officer if I see one tonight.

If you're going to take PATH I'd ask a PATH officer. NJ Transit ask one of their cops (if you can find one). Keep the case locked and closed and nobody will bother you. I'd keep the ammo out of sight as well. I don't remember seeing any information on prohibiting transport of firearms on NJT. It would be listed in the passenger code of conduct I believe. I'll ask a Transit officer if I see one tonight.

PATH is Port Authority PD..... there's a case in the courts now for a PAPD guy arresting someoen at Newark for possessing a handgun, IN THEIR CHECK LUGGAGE on a Layover in Newark.. PAPD might not be the ones to ask.

Short version:

Just in case

What town are you in?