Matt

Due to the atmosphere toward guns in NJ, I have an unfounded

fear that if I buy an AR (legal, without evil features etc.) that even though it abides by the AWB if a cop were to see it I would be arrested and charged for having an illegal assault weapon even though it wasn't. I guess I just dont trust cops to know what is legal and what isn't and I dont want to be the test case for the AWB loopholes... this just occured to me this morning, and while I do plan to buy / build one soon it just bothers me that I even have to feel that way in my own state / country. Thoughts?

Just buy the damn rifle...

My take on what you've presented is that we, as law abiding citizens, cannot be anti-authority for any reason as it only proves to be digressive. I'm not saying that you are definitively anti-authority; instead inferring that you should have more faith in the law enforcement in our state. I'm not vouching for them, as I know a handful of terrible LEOs. Instead I'm saying that without faith in them (until there is a legitimate reason to believe otherwise), what can you trust?

With that said, I also do not believe that we must blindly follow or discard our right to question the morality of the authorities (because nothing is perfect). However, if we chose to wear a chip on our shoulders, and instead doubt the authorities as a first instinct instead of looking to them as first responders... well, to me, that seems beyond selfish.

It was kenw who put it quite elegantly in his second post on this thread (so, I shall not repeat in whole what he's said), and I really do think its paranoia otherwise. I, and I'm sure most others here with ARs and other "evil rifles," have nothing to hide... and, in turn, have nothing to fear.

fear that if I buy an AR (legal, without evil features etc.) that even though it abides by the AWB if a cop were to see it I would be arrested and charged for having an illegal assault weapon even though it wasn't. I guess I just dont trust cops to know what is legal and what isn't and I dont want to be the test case for the AWB loopholes... this just occured to me this morning, and while I do plan to buy / build one soon it just bothers me that I even have to feel that way in my own state / country. Thoughts?

Just buy the damn rifle...

I plan on it. 10/22 first though

Well maybe thats a large part of your issue than Bro? After living in a state and being use to things being a certain way and then then relocating to a state where things are very different takes some getting use to. If i know I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal than I'm not worried no matter what state I'm in!, thats just me. If i'm wrongfully arrested, so be it! Ultamately i will be freed and vindicated and returned my possesions. I would think the same holds true for you?

My take on what you've presented is that we, as law abiding citizens, cannot be anti-authority for any reason as it only proves to be digressive. I'm not saying that you are definitively anti-authority; instead inferring that you should have more faith in the law enforcement in our state. I'm not vouching for them, as I know a handful of terrible LEOs. Instead I'm saying that without faith in them (until there is a legitimate reason to believe otherwise), what can you trust?

With that said, I also do not believe that we must blindly follow or discard our right to question the morality of the authorities (because nothing is perfect). However, if we chose to wear a chip on our shoulders, and instead doubt the authorities as a first instinct instead of looking to them as first responders... well, to me, that seems beyond selfish.

It was kenw who put it quite elegantly in his second post on this thread (so, I shall not repeat in whole what he's said), and I really do think its paranoia otherwise. I, and I'm sure most others here with ARs and other "evil rifles," have nothing to hide... and, in turn, have nothing to fear.

Fair enough, but would you agree that, although legal, an AR is something the state would probably PREFER you not have?

Well maybe thats a large part of your issue than Bro? After living in a state and being use to things being a certain way and then then relocating to a state where things are very different takes some getting use to. If i know I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal than I'm not worried no matter what state I'm in!, thats just me. If i'm wrongfully arrested, so be it! Ultamately i will be freed and vindicated and returned my possesions. I would think the same holds true for you?

Sure, and to be quite honest you have bigger balls than I do. I dont doubt that even if arrested we would be vindicated as we are both law abiding citizens with nothing to hide, I am just uncomfortable with the cost and hastle of such an arrest.

Fair enough, but would you agree that, although legal, an AR is something the state would probably PREFER you not have?

Its a good question. And, maybe this is a bit idealistic and whimsical of me to say, I don't think they would care. I pose no threat to any man or creature, nor do I ever say anything that would make people think otherwise. I'm quite unassuming, and do not make myself a target to be robbed either-- again not putting anyone in danger. I'm sure there are many firearms owners like this as well... and its not a matter of pride, but of tact.

I know my rights, but I can respect my neighbors if they do not necessarily feel the same way. Its the reason why I don't clean my firearms outside in plain sight. Some may agree, some may not (the types that feel the need to broadcast their political views via bumper sticker for example), but maybe its food for thought for you?

"Walk of shame", "Live in Fear","Evil Black Rifle"? WTF are you guys talking about? I've lived in this over taxed ,over priced and overzelous state most of my life, more than 35+yrs and have owned,bought and sold firearms for more than 15 of them of ALL TYPES and have never heard these terms used in reference to firearms! THIS IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DAMMIT and I dont give a F*CK what people think in Dicks or any other retail establishment or my Neighbors either for that matter! I am a law abiding,Hard working,Tax Paying UNITED STATES Citizen which intitles me to certain inalienable Rights! Thats the type of message I've heard all my life and I thats how I live!I own an AR,SKS and several other black rifles,buy my ammo at Dicks when the price is right and have never had 1 problem at the range or anywhere else for that matter and I'M BLACK! No offense but I think the Problem is with the Author of the thread and Not the Police or the State Firearm Legislature. Paranoia and insecurety is a personal problem and should be dealt w/as such!

You're black????

Damn, I really need to work on my situational awareness. ;)

Its a good question. And, maybe this is a bit idealistic and whimsical of me to say, I don't think they would care. I pose no threat to any man or creature, nor do I ever say anything that would make people think otherwise. I'm quite unassuming, and do not make myself a target to be robbed either-- again not putting anyone in danger. I'm sure there are many firearms owners like this as well... and its not a matter of pride, but of tact.

I know my rights, but I can respect my neighbors if they do not necessarily feel the same way. Its the reason why I don't clean my firearms outside in plain sight. Some may agree, some may not (the types that feel the need to broadcast their political views via bumper sticker for example), but maybe its food for thought for you?

Im in agreement with you on this one, I guess my perceived notion that the state would prefer any of us not own guns is what makes me uncomfortable because of the simple idea that having something that someone in an authority position does not want you to have, no matter how legal, could be abused by the authority figure. I see where you are coming from though, I guess I just need to trust more in the written law and the freedoms it provides me

Rifle Permit

A valid rifle permit is required for coyote, deer, squirrel and woodchuck hunting with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for dispatching trapped animals other than muskrat with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants must be at least 10 years old and have successfully completed a rifle Hunter Education course. Rifle permits for 10 to 17 years olds will be valid only for muzzleloaders. No persons under 18 years old may hunt with centerfire or rimfire rifles. Rifle permits are valid from July 1 - June 30. A current rifle permit is required to purchase muzzloader deer permits.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

Rifle Permits

A valid rifle permit is required, and must be in possession,

while hunting coyote, deer, fox, squirrel and

woodchuck with a muzzleloading rifle; raccoon and

opossum hunting with a .22 caliber rifle; and for

dispatching trapped animals, other than muskrat,

with a .22 caliber rifle. Initial rifle permit applicants

must be at least 10 years old and have successfully

completed a rifle Hunter Education Course.

i think there is a very easy solution to all of this.

Get an Greatest Battle Rifle evah variant. They arent "black rifles"..... they are steel with some wood on them. =)

Im out of the loop, what are you referring to, M1A?

every gun i own is an "evil black gun" and i shoot at a public county run range all the time.. i have yet to have any issues..

I like it when I'm at the register at Dick's and I put my ammunition down next to some hot woman in front of me's sports bras and we make eye contact. :drool:

Note: It doesn't happen that often.