CPRPE

Ruger Mini 14 in 223

Any thoughts/opinions? I don't know what it is about this rifle but I want one.

They are nice. The new ones are decent shooters from what I have read and can be made much better cheaply (http://www.gunblast.com/JessHardin-Mini14.htm). The older models had some accuracy issues.

I absolutely love my Mini 14! :D I've been in love with Mini 14's for awhile, and I finally picked up a used one recently - it's a lot of fun to shoot! I've heard the "older models" such as mine have trouble with accuracy, but I haven't really seen any kind of big problem with it. I'm no sharpshooter by any means - quite the novice, in fact - but I can get a good pattern with the standard sights from 50-75 yards. There are lots of goodies available for Mini 14's out there too (stocks, accessories, etc.), so there are plenty of options for those who wish to dress up their Mini's. As far as ammo is concerned, I've been feeding mine Wolf and Brown Bear .223 ammo and haven't had any problems at all. I'd highly recommend getting one if you're interested!

I just picked one up and love it shoots Wolf with out a hitch

400.00 shipped :twisted:

less the high caps

IMG_730520800x302.jpg

Do you still have the mini-14? If so, how satisfied are you with it and where did you buy it at such a low price??

I really want one of these.

I have a Mini 14 and I really like it. The stock it came with is really nice wood ( I changed it to another stock which another member here then shortened for me) and it is the stainless barrel. I have only shot it in indoor ranges with the sights and it is very accurate at I guess what you would call self defense range. I'm really not interested at this time in shooting any farther than 50 yards , so this rifle fits the bill . I NEVER use it though lol . I feel dumb shooting it over and over in an indoor range ( gets boring) . Once I join somewhere and have a bit more room to move and shoot outdoors I might be more into it. Here is mine with the original stock

_DSC2622-copy.jpg

_DSC2620-copy.jpg

_DSC2615-copy.jpg

Yep. That and my shotgun too ( there was a shottie side last week , right? ) Looking forward to both in the near future.

OP - I don;t know your location , but you are welcome to try mine if you want to meet at the Bullet Hole . It takes 3 minutes to swap out the stock to the original normal LOP one :)

Thanks :) It is sentimental too. Part of a collection a family friend had. he was a Lakehurst Officer and he unexpectedly died from complications of what should have been routine minor heart surgery. He was only in his 50s. I'll never sell it for that reason , even if I hardly use it :) I/we also have his Colt .45 Combat Elite , Winchester 30-30 lever , an SKS rifle , an old Stevens Long .32 rimfire ( or centerfire we can't tell) , a Rossi pump action .22 , and a boyscout gun..a Remi single shot bolt. The 2 last ones will be for my kids when they are ready :)

Sandy, wow that's one beautiful rifle. Very jealous!

Not sure who you're referring to as the OP.. I wasn't expecting any responses from bringing this thread back from the dead after 2 years of silence haha. But if you're referring to me, I would be absolutely thrilled. I actually have an hour of free range time at the bullet hole thanks to Jen and you're more than welcome to give my glock23 a go.

Thanks :) It is sentimental too. Part of a collection a family friend had. he was a Lakehurst Officer and he unexpectedly died from complications of what should have been routine minor heart surgery. He was only in his 50s. I'll never sell it for that reason , even if I hardly use it :) I/we also have his Colt .45 Combat Elite , Winchester 30-30 lever , an SKS rifle , an old Stevens Long .32 rimfire ( or centerfire we can't tell) , a Rossi pump action .22 , and a boyscout gun..a Remi single shot bolt. The 2 last ones will be for my kids when they are ready :)

Most definetly wouldn't get rid of that for any reason, it's that nice and plus the sentimental value. And you have his colt .45 wow, but sorry for his untimely death, but That man had great taste

I have one and love it. Took it to the 100yd range at EFGA for the first time a few weeks back. Ppl always say "it'll hit minute of a felon at 100 yards" and that's exactly what it does. I was shooting mostly offhand, a little kneeling with bench support and I put 48 of 60 rounds on a standard police sized target in the black (body outline); and no I don't claim to be a good shot so hitting the guy 100 yards away is good enough for me...better marksmen can probably do better with this gun. Iron sights, zero upgrades on this gun, just added the sling that came with it.

I contacted the folks who make that barrel strut and they very kindly told me their initial tests on the newer models (mine is a blued synthetic stock from last year) see maybe a 10-15% improvement inaccuracy AFTER the barrel is heated up. They also said your POI was likely to change because the point of the strut is that it adjusts the harmonics of the barrel so it will affect flight. i decided against it and have since dumped an ungodly amt of money (for me anyway) into my first AR build. EDIT: I actually spoke to folks that made a different accuracy strut...not the one linked above via gunblast...sorry

My Mini-14 will still continue to get range time because I like that it feels/looks like a rifle and I like to remain somewhat proficient with all my guns (i don't have many to worry about). My biggest complaint is that the mags are f'in expensive!!! I've not found an aftermarket mag that gets decent reviews so I've stuck with the factory ones and I just poke around ebay to see if I can catch somebody dumping some and pick them up for at least a little bit of a discount. The only other thing I've noticed is it gets a little touchy with the steel cased ammo once the barrel heats up, but that may also be an extractor issue that the interwebs say has popped up on some of the newer models; but not so much that everybody has it and Ruger has also replaced everything without problems for everyone I've read. I haven't sent mine in yet as it was only twice in about 1000 rounds. Oh and it chucks brass like you wouldn't believe...be prepared to try and get the far right bench on a range without dividers or the dude next to you will not be happy.

But for all intents and purposes an awesome gun especially at the price point with one of the most popular calibers in the world.

I was going to add that aftermarket mags seems a iffy in it. It likes Ruger mags and they are not cheap. But , once you buy them you have them , so. ;)

Sandy, wow that's one beautiful rifle. Very jealous!

Not sure who you're referring to as the OP.. I wasn't expecting any responses from bringing this thread back from the dead after 2 years of silence haha. But if you're referring to me, I would be absolutely thrilled. I actually have an hour of free range time at the bullet hole thanks to Jen and you're more than welcome to give my glock23 a go.

lol did not realize it was a resurrected thread ! I would definitely like to meet up at the BH. I have surgery Tuesday and then can't shoot for about 3 weeks. I'll hit you up with a PM once I am back shooting again , most likely end of August :) I'm only 5 minutes from the BH.

Clintoon - he did have a really really nice collection. Lots of old revolvers too. His Colt was my first gun , had I known what I know now I would have probably went for an exemption and picked up a few other handguns he had. They are all sold now ( that was last year) .

Clintoon - he did have a really really nice collection. Lots of old revolvers too. His Colt was my first gun , had I known what I know now I would have probably went for an exemption and picked up a few other handguns he had. They are all sold now ( that was last year) .

Old revolvers would have been really nice specially if he had a model 29 hahaha(that's my dream gun)

That is exactly what I have been looking for, but cannot find even online.

Is that a rang rifle? The only RR that I can find has a synthetic stock and no flash suppressor.

Which model number is it? Where did you buy it?

Are you asking me or the other poster who shared pics?

Mine is a Ranch . If you have a Ranch but don't like the stock , there are a lot of take offs on ebay. I got a take off that was just as nice as the original just about , and junkmanted ( the other poster who posted pics) cut it down for me ( I need a 10 1/2 LOP) .

This is it with a the cut down take off stock that I got for , I think , 30 bucks on Ebay

_DSC4785copy-Copy.jpg

_DSC4787copy.jpg