Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Should Open Carry of Guns Be the Law of the Land?

Make sure you vote in the poll.

------

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/ ... -land.html

Yes:

John Pierce

Cofounder of OpenCarry.org with an M.B.A. from George Mason University

The phrase "open carry" refers to the act of law-abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered handgun in plain sight, wherever it is legal to do so, as they go about their daily lives. This includes such mundane tasks as driving to work, walking the dog, grabbing a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or buying a book at Barnes & Noble. Those who choose open carry are just going about their business while armed, just as do the...

And the no vote from the dimwit Carolyn McCarthy who thinks a barrel shroud is the shoulder thing that goes up. (

)

No:

Carolyn McCarthy

Seven-term congressional Democrat serving New York's 4th District

There are only three states, Florida, Texas, and Illinois, and the District of Columbia that outright prohibit the open carrying of handguns. Only three! Now, contrary to public perception, I have never been against people owning guns for protection, hunting, or sport. But there are days when I read the newspaper or am watching the news and it seems as if our country is back in the Wild West. Brazenly carrying firearms into...

READ MORE...

Make sure you vote in the poll.

------

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/ ... -land.html

Yes:

John Pierce

Cofounder of OpenCarry.org with an M.B.A. from George Mason University

The phrase "open carry" refers to the act of law-abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered handgun in plain sight, wherever it is legal to do so, as they go about their daily lives. This includes such mundane tasks as driving to work, walking the dog, grabbing a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or buying a book at Barnes & Noble. Those who choose open carry are just going about their business while armed, just as do the...

And the no vote from the dimwit Carolyn McCarthy who thinks a barrel shroud is the shoulder thing that goes up. (

)

No:

Carolyn McCarthy

Seven-term congressional Democrat serving New York's 4th District

There are only three states, Florida, Texas, and Illinois, and the District of Columbia that outright prohibit the open carrying of handguns. Only three! Now, contrary to public perception, I have never been against people owning guns for protection, hunting, or sport. But there are days when I read the newspaper or am watching the news and it seems as if our country is back in the Wild West. Brazenly carrying firearms into...

READ MORE...

Forgot New Jersey :p

My comment, I had to leave one. You DO NOT have to register to leave a comment.

I live in New Jersey

When I say "I live in New Jersey" basically I live in a different country. We hardly have rights here and it's sad, they just deny us our right to bear arms because they feel like it. Our records are clean, we get fingerprinted, references, classes, you name it they will not allow it. This state is so restrictive, both in God given rights and taxes. We pay so much in taxes you would think we would be able to have a lot more freedoms to do more than other states. It's really sad, and these politicians here have no common sense when it comes to people being able to defend themselves. Their idea's and ways of thinking are more of a fantasy than reality, just in case you were wondering why our state is in such a financial mess.

Open or Concealed carry would not only make it safer to walk around the streets, but also would reduce the crime rate and criminal activity just do to the fact that the criminals know law abiding citizens are carrying. Trying to talk to our politicians about this is like talking to a brick wall, which is a reason why we need to get these people out. They do not listen to their constituents at all when it comes to anything about firearms or other self defense tools.

I am closely watching whose introducing what bills and who is also sponsoring them. I will make sure on election day to see that anyone in my district and state gets my vote if they are for self defense. I'm sick of reading about innocent people dying in this state, knowing damn well they could of attempted to defend themselves in 90 percent of the cases.

We really need CCW Reform here.

This will be unpopular, but while I do support shall issue CCW, open carry seems a bit problematic, especially in more densly populated settings.

If I'm a bad guy looking to steal firearms the person carrying concealed is more of a threat than the open carry person.

With open carry I have a pretty good idea of what they have, where it is holstered/mounted and how aware that person is of their surroundings.

I can then coordinate with my fellow degernates to ambush the open carry person to steal their weapon(s).

In an open area this isn't as much a problem as perhaps the streets of Manhattan during rush hour.

Should the gov't be stepping on 2a rights? Of course not.

Should these questions be asked. Yes.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid. Please school me.

This will be unpopular, but while I do support shall issue CCW, open carry seems a bit problematic, especially in more densly populated settings.

If I'm a bad guy looking to steal firearms the person carrying concealed is more of a threat than the open carry person.

With open carry I have a pretty good idea of what they have, where it is holstered/mounted and how aware that person is of their surroundings.

I can then coordinate with my fellow degernates to ambush the open carry person to steal their weapon(s).

In an open area this isn't as much a problem as perhaps the streets of Manhattan during rush hour.

I think just the fact you know someone has a firearm around you will deter you from wanting to commit a crime, and trying to steal someones gun can lead to your death, so I believe that will deter a criminal from attempting to steal the firearm, wouldn't be smart in anyone's case.

Your not going to put your life on the line for a handgun, I dont think it's worth it, and im sure (most) criminals aren't that stupid.

Great to see, but rather hard to believe the 96+%. Can't help but wonder what other forum folks are hitting it as well (possibly repeatedly) with such high numbers.

But I'll take it regardless.

you can only vote once, or once per computer.

I agree. A good friend of mine was robbed in the now classic and very common way in NYC; Two guys walked past her, turned and hit her in the head with a brick. They stole everything she had while she was unconcious.

This was at 8am walking to a subway in a Brooklyn.

I agree. A good friend of mine was robbed in the now classic and very common way in NYC; Two guys walked past her, turned and hit her in the head with a brick. They stole everything she had while she was unconcious.

This was at 8am walking to a subway in a Brooklyn.

perhaps if they seen she had a gun, they would of been more hesitant to try anything. But women in general or men-girls are usually targets.

Great to see, but rather hard to believe the 96+%. Can't help but wonder what other forum folks are hitting it as well (possibly repeatedly) with such high numbers.

But I'll take it regardless.

you can only vote once, or once per computer.

You can vote as many times as you like, just clean your computer. I use,

http://system-cleaner.comodo.com/ it's a free program.

I agree with you. I would rather see concealed carry over open carry any day. If some little gangster sees that you have a gun they will push you to draw that weapon. Its not like you can legally draw your weapon because someone starts pushing you around trying to start a street fight(well at least I don't think you can). Would you even want to draw? Not knowing if he has a gun or the three others he is with have weapons. Just my opinion on this matter :)

takeji, are you kidding me? No "gangsta" is gonna wanna get shot, period! If criminals want guns, their gonna get'em regardless. Their not gonna go trying to steal someone's gun off their hip. Do they try to steal cops guns, NO.

Whether or not open carry is problematic in a very crowded urban area like Manhattan, the decision to carry or not, and how to carry, should be made by the individual - not the government deciding for them!

takeji, are you kidding me? No "gangsta" is gonna wanna get shot, period! If criminals want guns, their gonna get'em regardless. Their not gonna go trying to steal someone's gun off their hip. Do they try to steal cops guns, NO.

I have seen it happen! Not with open carry but with some kid showing he had a gun to the other kids sitting in the driveway two houses down from me. Just because you have a gun on your hip it does not mean it will deter all the assholes out there. And I know criminals are gonna get there guns regardless of there being open carry or not lol. I wouldn't know if they try to steal cops guns or not. Never seen it happen.

If no gangster kid wanted to get shot then why are they in a gang. They know rival gangs have guns and use them but yet they still stay in this gang, work for them, and eventually get shot. They might not try to steal the police mans gun but they sure as hell shoot at the police.

I am totally for open carry, but I would rather see concealed. Me personally I don't think that I would carry openly on a day to day basis.

First off Ray, don't underestimate the stupidity of some people. Remember the video of the college kid in PA? He drew his firearm and the guys still rushed him.

Bad guys have tried to wrestle a police officers firearm away from him. Seen the video on the news more times than I can remember.

Come on guys, really? So if they passed a national open carry law that if you carry a firearm it must be out in the open, your telling me you won't? Why, because some b1tch could take it off you? Yeah right, I'm carrying at least 2, more if it's comfortable.

I definately don't want the gov't prohibiting it, but I also don't believe open carry will stop someone from making a grab.

Open carry just makes it that much easier for the bad guy(s)to identify a more profitable target and wait until that target is at their most disadvantaged.

Sure, I would at times open carry. What I really want is a realistic system for CCW in NJ of which I'm sure we can all agree.

Come on guys, really? So if they passed a national open carry law that if you carry a firearm it must be out in the open, your telling me you won't? Why, because some b1tch could take it off you? Yeah right, I'm carrying at least 2, more if it's comfortable.

First off Ray, don't underestimate the stupidity of some people. Remember the video of the college kid in PA? He drew his firearm and the guys still rushed him.

Bad guys have tried to wrestle a police officers firearm away from him. Seen the video on the news more times than I can remember.

Yes they have, but you only see that when they are in jeopardy of going to jail. An innocent person is not going to go for a police officers gun. Furthermore I have yet to hear of anyone taking a firearm from someone who is carrying weather it be open or concealed.

Not saying I'm against open carry, just pointing out some facts.

I voted yes too, and I don't fear open carry outside of major urban centers. But I do believe somewhere like New York City would be problematic for open carry.

As was said, if the criminals wanted a handgun they would get one. Well yea, if a criminal wanted an iPod he could go buy one too, but they will take yours just the same.

While it is true you don't hear much about criminals trying to take a cop's weapon you have to know that that is because of the ability of the cop to radio and get coordinated back up in the form of more armed cops with radios - and pissed off to boot. You and I don't have that.

You and I would most likely have a nice new pistol worth hundreds of dollars that is easier to sell than a diamond necklace on display. As mentioned earlier, a brick in the back of the head will not be deterred by your quickdraw skills.

Concealed carry in the city is the way to go. But I voted yes anyway just to let it be known that we want change.

If it is open carry make sure you wear a good level 3 retention holster. Since there is no need to hide it, this should not be a problem. But you will NEED TO TRAIN with it. It is a whole new ballgame when drawing, but is easy to master. I am all for open carry.