lexcruiser

Any recommendations for a gunsmith in the Central NJ area?

Don't know why its been so difficult to find a gunsmith in my area... There is one at Efinger's, but he's retiring and no longer taking any work.

All I need done is to replace the adjustable (pinned) stock on my M&P 15-22 with a Magpul MOE stock and have that pinned. Seems like a relatively easy job..

I hear there's a gunsmith at the Firearms Guild in Rahway, so I'll try to call them today.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Don't know why its been so difficult to find a gunsmith in my area... There is one at Efinger's, but he's retiring and no longer taking any work.

All I need done is to replace the adjustable (pinned) stock on my M&P 15-22 with a Magpul MOE stock and have that pinned. Seems like a relatively easy job..

I hear there's a gunsmith at the Firearms Guild in Rahway, so I'll try to call them today.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Do it yourself??? It's a STOCK pin job, not a Muzzle Device. Measure the width of the stock where you would drill it, get a roll pin of the proper diameter (I use 1/8) about 1/4 less than the width. Countersink the holes. slip the stock onto the buffer tube, and mark your drill point. Drill the buffer Tube, assemble, drift in the pin, then fill the countersunk area with JB Weld or other epoxy.

With the caveat that i havent handled an MOE stock yet, looking at the pictures there is a convenient Srupe area that seems to make a very good pin point.

drillpoint.jpg

Also, with the design of the MOE as opposed to the standard designs, it might be feasable to drill and pin through the front aspect of the lever also.

Do it yourself??? It's a STOCK pin job, not a Muzzle Device. Measure the width of the stock where you would drill it, get a roll pin of the proper diameter (I use 1/8) about 1/4 less than the width. Countersink the holes. slip the stock onto the buffer tube, and mark your drill point. Drill the buffer Tube, assemble, drift in the pin, then fill the countersunk area with JB Weld or other epoxy.

With the caveat that i havent handled an MOE stock yet, looking at the pictures there is a convenient Srupe area that seems to make a very good pin point.

Also, with the design of the MOE as opposed to the standard designs, it might be feasable to drill and pin through the front aspect of the lever also.

An absolutely great suggestion.. but you're talking to a guy who sometimes can't change light bulbs without breaking a few bulbs.. :shock:

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable drilling anything on the rifle (and I'm not sure what countersinking holes mean)...

I'm ok with paying someone to do it well. :mrgreen:

A little bit of a hike for you, but there is this...

http://www.gunrunner1000.com/

...in Quakertown, PA. I'd call first for a turnaround time - doubt they'll do it while you wait.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

An absolutely great suggestion.. but you're talking to a guy who sometimes can't change light bulbs without breaking a few bulbs.. :shock:

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable drilling anything on the rifle (and I'm not sure what countersinking holes mean)...

I'm ok with paying someone to do it well. :mrgreen:

No worries, It was just a suggestion. Doing the stock doesnt really require anything other than a drill and a steady hand..But i also understand your reluctance to start drilling on your rifle. :D NJ Firearms Guild has a 'Smith on premesis and i know they do stocks. Also pk90 from the board does them as well IIRC.

There is a very similar adjustable stock on my S&W M&P-15. You can pin it, but on this stock, that little lever is used to release the stock and allow adjustments.

I think you could drop a few drops of superglue around that lever, and you would have a fully fixed stock....

Wouldnt recommend ocean tactical unless you are prepared for your gun to be out of reach for a while and want to deal with a company that has very poor communication skills. Be aware, they advertise in house gunsmiths but that does not mean your gun will actually be at their store.

I'd say do it yourself or get in touch with Tim.

-Scott

Wouldnt recommend ocean tactical unless you are prepared for your gun to be out of reach for a while and want to deal with a company that has very poor communication skills. Be aware, they advertise in house gunsmiths but that does not mean your gun will actually be at their store.

I'd say do it yourself or get in touch with Tim.

-Scott

Correct Scott, their post on the forum says they have 2 'in house' gun smiths, whats up with that. Do you know if they are licensed gunsmiths? I'm not a gunsmith Scott, but I'll help you, with it.

Now im wishing i had an MOE stock to fiddle with. if you look at the track of the adjustment pin, there is a hole just beneath it. From what im seeing, you MIGHT be able to just pin THAT. If it occludes the adjustment pin track enough that the stock cant be moved, you're golden. As i said a little JB weld on each side to keep the pin from walking and you would be GTG as long as the stock cant be moved. A LOT easier than drilling through the Buffer Lug. Now i'm gonna have to buy me one of those to mess with.

There is a very similar adjustable stock on my S&W M&P-15. You can pin it, but on this stock, that little lever is used to release the stock and allow adjustments.

I think you could drop a few drops of superglue around that lever, and you would have a fully fixed stock....

I was thinking / wondering the same thing

Now im wishing i had an MOE stock to fiddle with. if you look at the track of the adjustment pin, there is a hole just beneath it. From what im seeing, you MIGHT be able to just pin THAT. If it occludes the adjustment pin track enough that the stock cant be moved, you're golden. As i said a little JB weld on each side to keep the pin from walking and you would be GTG as long as the stock cant be moved. A LOT easier than drilling through the Buffer Lug. Now i'm gonna have to buy me one of those to mess with.

LOL! If you get one to try.. let me know how it works out. I actually just ordered one.. (MOE version) and should get it by middle of next week hopefully.

I would still need to drill out the pin on the factory stock if I was to try this myself, even if no drilling is required on the Magpul... but the thought of drilling anything on my rifle makes my knees feel weak.. :p

I have pinned a MOE, it is simple. KPD nailed it on pin placement. if yoou want to look at mine, I can do it for yours if you like it.

That would be awesome. Would you mind doing that for mine if its not too much trouble? I can come down to your shop or whatevers best for you.. Thanks!

Correct Scott, their post on the forum says they have 2 'in house' gun smiths, whats up with that. Do you know if they are licensed gunsmiths? I'm not a gunsmith Scott, but I'll help you, with it.

Never actually saw a license but when I did go to pick up my guns I was told they were over 30miles & 2 counties away from their store and if I wanted them I had to drive that distance to get them. Don't know what happen to customer relations or customer satisfaction over there but not the kind of thing you would expect from a new local shop thats trying to start a business. Not off to a good start since I will never go back.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread just thought you guys should know since the original post was about finding a local gunsmith.

-Scott