BCeagle

SHTF/Zombie Apocolypse: Bug out or Camp Poll

I was looking at the beginnings of my bugout bag and I think I am going to end up being a camper.

-Getting anywhere in North Jersey will be impossible, think of the worst rush hour traffic on 80 or 78.

-I have a wife and 2 kids, if you are surviving off the land, solo is tough enough, try providing for 3.

-I like the homefield advantage.

-Optimally a bunch of us hunker down in a Restaurant Depo.

I can see camping for a week or 2 and then bug out when traffic calms down just know where you are going.

What say the group? (Give reasons)

I was looking at the beginnings of my bugout bag and I think I am going to end up being a camper.

-Getting anywhere in North Jersey will be impossible, think of the worst rush hour traffic on 80 or 78.

-I have a wife and 2 kids, if you are surviving off the land, solo is tough enough, try providing for 3.

-I like the homefield advantage.

-Optimally a bunch of us hunker down in a Restaurant Depo.

I can see camping for a week or 2 and then bug out when traffic calms down just know where you are going.

What say the group? (Give reasons)

http://www.foodinsurance.com

I would go to a wooded area, and lay low with a radio, my guns, and my bag of food. I do need to get a tent though and an axe for firewood.

I live in Bergen county, I have no doubt that if the SHTF this would be an 'experement zone'.

So my plan to avoid traffic is to sit tight for a day or so, let everything die down. Take the wife and the cats, some guns and some food/water and take the raft out to the river and paddle upstream...steal a car then drive out west and sit tight on my hunting lease land, where I am sure a few other's will be as well...

Very important to know how to hunt if this went down...

I have found a few govt utility buildings in the area, all brick with a heavy steel door and hatch on the roof (my access point) If the zombies cant climb it is perfect, small enough to heat with a roof vent, sturdy and right next to a wooded area to hunt and streams. I have found 3 in the area so far and have no idea what they all are. One is a utility shed at a park but the other 2 say "federal property."

If you cant hunt, you are screwed. I would be laying snares and deadfalls all over the area.

I live in Bergen county, I have no doubt that if the SHTF this would be an 'experement zone'.

So my plan to avoid traffic is to sit tight for a day or so, let everything die down. Take the wife and the cats, some guns and some food/water and take the raft out to the river and paddle upstream...steal a car then drive out west and sit tight on my hunting lease land, where I am sure a few other's will be as well...

Do you have experience stealing cars?

Why take the cats?

And does your hunting lease land have shelter available?

It would all depend on the situation. In most cases, I would stay put. If it were viable to travel, and if the initial SHTF event passed-- then I would consider convoying/flying out to my friend's ranch/farm in Montana. Cold winters, but with the amount of land and backyard hunting available-- I think it would be a decent last-ditch option.

But yea, bugging in would be my initial decision regardless. Hitting the road when an event is occurring, or as soon as it happens is a very good way of becoming a statistic. I live in a pretty rural/suburban area, and though it would probably be overrun by hordes of refugees, there's a chance that a lot of the outside [bad] influence could be curbed-- as the town is small enough to self-enforce. As for taking care of ourselves, aside from the canned food and water we already have, the property I live on has decent enough top soil, and a good acre or so of space. My "lot" is a large oval with all of the front of houses pointing out-- so, all of the backyards are "connected." If people managed to work together, it could be pretty substantial land for rotating crops or specific crop plots. My family already has a decent garden in the back that we use to grow a variety of vegetables, and I'm in the process of learning the canning method for storing food from my mother (who learned from her mother; who lived in South Korea through the exploitation of the Orient, WWI, WWII [and Japanese occupation], and the Korean War). I'm also in the process of learning stitching and other tailor methods, as well as other farming methods from my old man (who grew up on his father's farm). I would stick with what could be farmed and gathered/collected, and then depend on small traps and maybe some hunting in the woods right in the back of my neighborhood. From there I could can things, and not necessarily have to depend on today's catch for only today-- but at least stretch things a few months.

Though, to say that my domain and I are 'ready' is a stretch... but life's experiences are piecing things together.

As for bugging out to a nearby, already fortified area? Well, first off, I do not advocate any illegal activities-- truly. But if I really needed to move camp momentarily, there are the massive shipping warehouses that are maybe 5-8 miles from my domicile. I'm not talking about a warehouse or two, I'm talking about a town of warehouses... TBT knows of the location I'm talking about. Would I depend on it? Probably not since I don't know the layout or would want to risk that type of criminal activity. But its something worth noting, considering the laws of the land would be a moot point if the land were nothing but a wasteland (though, laws of humanity are something totally else).

Why take the cats?

because you can eat them if things get real bad.

Why take the cats?

For the weight and hassle of cats (little annoying furballs that scratch and bite), you can carry more weight in food. :p

Looking at various disasters, it's very apparent that in an urban area like nNJ/Philly if the zombies do walk, they'll be the least of your worries.

Look at New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina - many people weathered the hurricane/flood just fine in their homes, the real danger was the looting, violence, and the mayor deciding to send the police door to door and confiscate everyone's guns.

Your best bet would be escape, though that might likely be impossible as well.

Looking at various disasters, it's very apparent that in an urban area like nNJ/Philly if the zombies do walk, they'll be the least of your worries.

Look at New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina - many people weathered the hurricane/flood just fine in their homes, the real danger was the looting, violence, and the mayor deciding to send the police door to door and confiscate everyone's guns.

Your best bet would be escape, though that might likely be impossible as well.

The best bet is to hide, stay quiet, and don't flaunt anything... whether it be your radio, your guns, or your food.

Get out of town while you can!

I have family in Pennsy, so I at least have a destination in mind. It would probably take me about 10 minutes to pack everything I need in the Jeep and go. One thing I do is keep the car at least half full of gas. I can get to where I need to go with that much fuel.

If I had an immediate back up location within a reasonable distance, it would be something I would highly consider. But who could really judge, considering we, as a community and state, rarely have emergency situations (the floods probably being the most recent example)-- and how often do people train, let alone think about it.

Just today, I was going to go pick up some milk. I was going down one of the larger county roads in my town, and unfortunately there was an accident. What normally is a traffic-free area became so packed because the authorities could only move one lane of traffic at a time. So, what should have taken me maybe 10 minutes total, took around 45 min. Now, imagine that happening on the major arteries throughout NJ and the fact that there would probably be no authorities (as they might have larger issues to deal with) and/or the traffic might never move (people abandon cars, etc). At that point everyone becomes refugees forced to hoof it out... and what might have been a rather leisure drive (maybe an hour or two), has turned into a 160+ KM hike. While hoofing it out, aside from the personal fatigue, lack of water/food/proper clothing (to include socks and foot apparel), caring for children if present-- families/people would have to also concern themselves with the animals out there... whether that's protecting each other from physical harm, or from having their stuff stolen... its happened, and is happening-- so, its definitely something to think about when trying to make a decision to stay or go.

When the Plauge hit Europe, people who knew each other, gathered together whatever supplies that was needed and headed for the hills. They built a little mini community, and banded together until it was safe to venture out. Guards were posted everywhere so when anyone who even came close to the camp was killed instantly without question.

I'll take first watch! ;)

Get out of town while you can!

I have family in Pennsy, so I at least have a destination in mind. It would probably take me about 10 minutes to pack everything I need in the Jeep and go. One thing I do is keep the car at least half full of gas. I can get to where I need to go with that much fuel.

That's assuming the highways aren't entirely at a dead standstill with traffic, or they are not shut down / blockaded by the National Guard or something. All it takes to close a major highway is maybe a dozen Nat'l guard guys and two Humvees. Honestly, I wonder if you'd even be able to get out of Hudson County.

As for that zombie book...someone bought that for me as a gag....it's kinda silly...though it did have some funny parts, its not really a guide just a good funny book....it says to get samurai swords and machine guns. :lol:

When the Plauge hit Europe, people who knew each other, gathered together whatever supplies that was needed and headed for the hills. They built a little mini community, and banded together until it was safe to venture out. Guards were posted everywhere so when anyone who even came close to the camp was killed instantly without question.

In a zombie situation it takes that kind of mentality to survive and everyone must be dedicated to it. As a religous guy its tough. What do you do when someone who doesnt look sick comes knocking and claims his wounds were from a coyote attack and the women start chirping about compassion. The single biggest theme in zombie movies is the breakup of the group/society. It is in every movie.

I am against all outsiders into your preplanned group.

In a zombie situation it takes that kind of mentality to survive and everyone must be dedicated to it. As a religous guy its tough. What do you do when someone who doesnt look sick comes knocking and claims his wounds were from a coyote attack and the women start chirping about compassion. The single biggest theme in zombie movies is the breakup of the group/society. It is in every movie.

I am against all outsiders into your preplanned group.

have them strip, and check their entire body for any blood.. If no blood your good to go, if you have blood you will leave or be shot. For women, just better hope it's not your time of the month. :lol:

Most likely hold off at home for a few days or weeks and figure out what is actually happening. Hook up my army buddies next door, eventually try to head to SC to the in-laws place. 7800 sq ft home, and a little over 20 acres of land should be good enough to hold out.

I ponder questions like this on sleepless nights or when I'm home alone and have just finished watching a zombie training film or read a zombie training manuel. As a resident of Cape May County I have some unique advantages and disadvantages. The countys population in the off season is roughly one million, (according to the countys 2008 report). If an outbreak were to occur during the summer months the population estimates approach 8 million (county tourism estimates, some are higher). The county has only 2 major roads in or out (GSP and route 47). On a normal summer day the roads become difficult to travel. Put panicing, fleeing prey on the streets and it quickly becomes disasterous.

I have lumber, food, water and supplies. I'm bugging in. I'll board up window and doors, store up extrawater, fuel the generator and load the guns. If things get really hairy I'll try to acquire a boat to get out of the area. A small boat would give me access to smaller waterways.

I would need a large construction vehicle to clear the roads to get out. That would have to wait until ares were safe t travel.

does the fact that I already know EXACTLY where I would go, how I would get there, AND have discussed such events with my 85 year old grandmother and girlfriend over a nice relaxing lunch make me a little nuts?

and to be clear.. when you say "zombie" to me that equates to mass civil unrest.. I don't know if in this context we mean THAT.. OR "zombie" eat your brains.. But i guess it doesnt matter much since what I would do in either case would be identical.. ;)

and to be clear.. when you say "zombie" to me that equates to mass civil unrest.. I don't know if in this context we mean THAT.. OR "zombie" eat your brains.. But i guess it doesnt matter much since what I would do in either case would be identical.. ;)

if you prepare for the living dead you should be ready for anything.

Why take the cats?

If things got that bad, I would send the cats out hunting....LOL..My area would be decoy city, that animals would think there was a cross species orgy with all the calling I would do to bring various animals in...

i would bring my cat because i love him.. simple as that.. some people love dogs.. i love my cat.. he doesnt break my balls (except when he wants to eat) and he has been there through the good and the bad..

i would bring my cat because i love him.. simple as that.. some people love dogs.. i love my cat.. he doesnt break my balls (except when he wants to eat) and he has been there through the good and the bad..

I think having pittbulls, doverman, and rottweilers would come in handy in this situation. Give them a long leash out in the woods and they will provide protection and alert you if someone is approaching from a difference.

I think having pittbulls, doverman, and rottweilers would come in handy in this situation. Give them a long leash out in the woods and they will provide protection and alert you if someone is approaching from a difference.

Or let them lead you to better animals to eat...dogs are great hunters by nature, and if you can keep track of where your dog went and follow, thats a great way to get some deer (or something) you normally would not see...

We should start a 'learn how to hunt' class to solidify the thread...id be happy to help..I hunt alot...maybe too much...