Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Need help from Jewish members

I am having a friend and his family up next time I come home. He is Jewish and I would like to impress him and be prepared for his stay and have a bunch of kosher stuff in the house and follow some of the traditions. I would also like to get a general low down on dealing with kosher. I have googled a little bit and was overwhelmed by all of the web pages out there. Can somebody give me a general low down or point me in the right direction on the net?

How orthodox is he? is he Jewish like most reformed jews are? or religious jewish?

Big things... if he celebrates it, Friday evening is Shabbot. Basically you have a nice dinner, and break for the week.

Now, depending on how religious he is, to some, Shabbot means no manual labor, no work, etc, ie, no watching tv or using electronics. To others, they dont bother or just have a nice dinner. Most conservative jews will do shabbot dinner but that is it.

As far as food itself, and Kosher.... once again various degrees.

Typically, no shellfish or pork.

Now, more conservatives will not mix dairy with meat, and some will have seperate kitchens/utensils for dairy and meat.... and to make it more confusing, separate dishes and all for passover.

Most stuff believe it or not, is already Kosher. Look for the little K in a circle or U in a circle on various things, ie all soda is. Then there is also Kosher for passover, but you dont have to worry about it now.

For meat, most shoprites have a seperate kosher isle. Good kosher food is much better tasting and quality to begin with.

hope that helps.

what Maks said.

If he's very Orthodox, he wouldn't be staying at your house, because it has been touched by non-Kosher food and not properly cleaned. You should find out what level of Kosher he is, and plan accordingly. If he celebrates the Sabbath, make sure everything is done and over by sunset Friday, and find out how he does his Saturday. If he goes to temple, drives/rides, etc.

There are so many levels of observance that you're best bet is to find out from him what he's comfortable with, and plan accordingly.

Go to a shoprite near Passaic or Teaneck or Elizabeth or Edison (whew) and go to the kosher aisle and buy whatever looks good. Also if he is staying over the weekend get him some candles to light on Friday night.

I concur with what was said - that he is not orthodox, or would not be staying (i.e. eating) with you.

I talked with him last night, yes he does know I am not Jewish. When I was in the military, he had to jump through hoops to get me to be in his wedding. I felt a little out of place, there were a couple of hundred people there, and I was the only non Jewish person. He said he is not strict orthodox, and I dont need to go out of my way too much for him. I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of stuff ready and done for his stay though. I was just trying to impress him a little.

i mean this with absolutely NO disrespect.. but being Jewish seems really complicated..

not at all.

Reformed jews = dont have to follow any traditions, the fact that you came out of a jewish vagina makes you jewish, no matter what you do.

Judaism is really a fairly simple religion at its roots. the main differences are between the levels of observation, having to do mostly with do you either follow the torrah (old testament) word for word with no interpretation, or reformed ( the torrah is merely a guide to live by for good moral living, and you do as you see fit).

Orthodox, Conservadox, Traditional, Conservative are all in between.

Bigger differences between them all have to do with:

1. How you observe the shabbot. (no power/electricity/work) or is it merely a day of rest in todays environment.

2. When and if you keep a Kosher Kitchen (only at home, only on passover, or all the time?)

3. the torrah itself.... is it word of god that has to be followed 100%, or was it merely guidelines for good moral living, and is it a strict interpretation or open for individuals to interpret. Hassidic jews, have to follow it 100%, there is no thinking about it, Orthodox jews follow it but a bit more loosly, and will stick to it unless it is not easily possible.

IE. it says in the torrah that because it is a day of rest, you cannot take to synagogue by horse/car/etc, and have to walk....

Here is how it plays out....

Hassidic - They will walk no matter what. This is why, Lakewood, etc, most jews settle together by their place of worship.

Orthodox - They will walk, unless someone is elderly in which case they will be driven and dropped off.

Conservadox - They will walk if they live close, and drive if they live further away, or it rains, but they will park a block or two away from the synoguge and walk the rest of the way.

Conservative - Since many dont live, 50% will park on the street in front of synagogue.

Reformed - There are plenty of spaces avail to park in the synagogue parking lot.

Other differences are... women. Can they pray together with the men? or have their own section? Or can they go at all.

Women cannot go to synagogue service if they are hassidic. Women have to go to a seperate space/service if they are Orthodox, Women and Men can go together starting at the Conservative/Conservadox level.

lol thanks for the info.. i mean obviously if you are jewish you are jewish.. LOL but i just meant the whole thing with different silverwear.. plates.. etc.. it just seems strict.. but i guess as with everything it is just to what level you take it.. ;)

If you really want to impress him, go out and get a second dishwasher. I know a few super religious folk who have two dishwashers in their kitchen. One is for kosher plates, and the other is for normal plates.

If you plan on banging his wife be sure to cut a hole in the sheet! hahahaha

Wow, our religion IS weird.

If you really want to impress him, go out and get a second dishwasher. I know a few super religious folk who have two dishwashers in their kitchen. One is for kosher plates, and the other is for normal plates.

If you plan on banging his wife be sure to cut a hole in the sheet! hahahaha

Wow, our religion IS weird.

I dunno - send those women away for 7 days a month, sounds good sometimes ;)