GoNRA

Taking a Trip out to WV

Heading down there for vacation, anyone know a sceneric route? or good places to visit? Good Food? ect.

Feel free to pack that pistol, as WV has reciprocity with FL, you can drive through PA...

Senica Rocks. There is a cave tour near Senica Rocks. Blackwater Falls.

A lot of nice trails and backpacking in Monongeliha National Forest. (I probably spelled that wrong)

is ammo cheap in VA? I was recommended to stay in Winchester, VA and then travel around from there. I heard Winchester has a lot of tourist attractions, and also heard there is nothing but country in WV, but can go out there from Winchester.

My father lives in Sterling, VA and he buys his pistol ammo at Wal-Mart. He said the .40 was only $15-$16 a box of federal. I would imagine that ammo would be in general cheaper store vs store, however if you price shop online and buy military surplus at the gunshows you probably wouldn't do any better.

I just spent a month in Beckley, WV, which is in the SE part of the state. I really enjoyed my stay there. Here are some insights from my time there.

You will be amazed at the ruggedness of the terrain. These are the oldest mountains in North America and the terrain reflects it.

Embrace the coal mining history and if your get the chance visit the Coal Expo Museum in Beckley, go inside a coal mine and see what it is like. Visit old coal mining towns... gives a good persepective on the people and credence to all the good old songs about coal mining.

Never really found a great place to eat in Beckley, but if your in Charleston, the Magnolia Cafe was pretty good for lunch and gets fancy at dinner. In Fayateville (New River Gorge Bridge which is a MUST SEE) ther is a great pizza place (Pies and Pints) and a good Mexican place, Tecante.

If you bring your 4wd vehicle... use it. Drive down dirt roads... reach for out of the way locations and you will be rewarded with great views or scenery.

Go to the Greenbrier Inn and take the bunker tour.

Go white water rafting or a small mouth bass float trip on the New River... highly recomended!!!!!

The Cass RR is great. Visit the Snowshoe area for some wonderful camping, scenery and mountain life.

Ammo is cheap at WW. 9mm from RWS is $13 most WWs. The WW still are selling the Beretta 390s for $580 or so.... I would have bought one if i had not just gotten a A303.

Buy yourself a BB gun and bring it back home just for fun. Plenty of gun stores to shop in but I did not see great prices.

Why not look up a local Gun Range to where you are going to and see if they are running a competition or shoot of some sort that weekend. I made some great friends that way, I did an Appleseed shoot and had a fantastic time while i was there. I posted a report somewhere on here.