Sign in to follow this  
JEC

Trying for FID again

Sorry if this is the wrong section wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway.

I am looking to apply for my FID again. The first time I was denied based upon a possible risk to public safety. Reason being that I had some photos of me playing airsoft on my MySpace. Not sure why I even still had one knowing all the trouble they cause for people just looking for jobs. Anyway based upon that I was denied an FID. Chief of Police also didn't seem too hot on the fact my references weren't in town. I planned to appeal it because I have no criminal record and was in a "Tech school" for Law Enforcement. Long story short. I didn't make it to the appeal.

Now this was more then 3 years ago. To date I still have no criminal history except for a few traffic tickets and am in college for criminal justice. I am pretty sure the wait time to apply again is long up and that I will need to check that I have been denied but I am worried I will be denied again based solely on the reasons from 3 years ago. I very much like to get past the dumb mistake because this will no doubt also pose a hurtle to me when looking to a law enforcement job.

So does anyone have any advice or personal experiences in similar situations?

And if it matters I live in Logan Township.

Were you really denied based on the fact that you played airsoft and posted a video online? Perhaps one of your refrences? Do you have a bad history with the town? did anything stupid as a kid? what town is this again, and how old are you?

i just find it hard to believe they denied you solely on that reason.

Were you really denied based on the fact that you played airsoft and posted a video online? Perhaps one of your refrences? Do you have a bad history with the town? did anything stupid as a kid? what town is this again, and how old are you?

i just find it hard to believe they denied you solely on that reason.

+1 although, there has got to be more to it.

That being said, reapply. If denied again, appeal with an attorney.

Logan Township.

I am currently 22. No negative history with the town and even with my traffic tickets, all of them are from a town over.

If there was other reasons he did not make them known. When I was called down to the station they had a folder with various print outs from said MySpace opened up on it.

yeah I deleted everything on my myspace, to many people are checking it these days.

Maybe ask to talk to the chief and ask him how you can go about obtaining an FID, since you were denied. Also get around to asking him what the reason for denial was so you can work on fixing the problem.

I'm not an attorney, but you might want to consider applying after incorporation -- should be June, July. You might have more options if the denial occurs after incorporation. Just a thought. Any attornies out there that can confirm or deny?

I'm not an attorney, but you might want to consider applying after incorporation -- should be June, July. You might have more options if the denial occurs after incorporation. Just a thought. Any attornies out there that can confirm or deny?

Optimist.

I'm still surprised that they denied you due to playing airsoft..?

How is that a valid reason? Should anyone who plays first person shooter video games also be denied then? What about paintball?

Were you doing anything in particular in the pictures that they deemed threatening?

And I can't think of why they would've googled your name and found you on MySpace... unless one of your references replied that they felt you shouldn't have access to firearms and provided links to your MySpace profile...

Who did you give as your two references?

My God father and a member of the USAF who I played airsoft with. Both gun owners who gave no allusions to the fact I might be someone who shouldn't own guns.

All the photos where in the field or posing. None with me being a dick and pointing guns at people or in any way acting like a tool.

I had my uncle talk to some cops in the town he knows and the word was that because the Chief didn't personally know me outside of what they read on the internet, I had to be denied based on said MySpace. It didn't contain anything hate filled or stuff like that. Even my "About Me" section was nothing out of the ordinary. The page title "I kill things with grenades" could of been cause for alarm I suppose. But with that alone I don't see how it could of been taken as anything but what it was, a video game reference.

LOL I'm thinking the "I Kill Things With Grenades" title may have done it. I would say make an appointment to talk to the Chief and explain that you will be applying again and get across the fact that what you had on your myspace wasn't meant to be taken the way it was. Or you could make a facebook page with pictures of yourself hugging kittens, and hope they look at it. :)

Kids stuff. Consider this a life lesson. Reapply.

Exactly how I am taking it. Its in the past and I can understand why they did it.

I would be concerned about "re-applying". IMO your best bet is to get an attorney and have the denial rescinded otherwise, you will continually have to check the "have you ever been refused" box

Is that truly a giant hurtle past the one time? I would of thought if I got it this time it wouldn't be as big a deal if I wanted additional pistol permits.

And am I correct in the assumption I should only need to pay application fees this time?

Spoke with an attorney today and he said he's never heard of a case of a denial being rescinded but that I could hire him to assist in the reapplication process that would likely require an appeal.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is discussing the issue in person with the chief of police still a viable idea?

You don't say how old you are in the pics. But I am grateful I grew up before the boon of cell phone cameras and none of my stupid stuff is recorded. The kids today take a pic or record everything and put it on the net like it won't come back to haunt them.

Airsoft pictures? That's bull. I have tons of airsoft pictures on my myspace and facebook. I'm an avid airsofter who's a member of a large team. Something like that is not grounds for public safety infractions. It's a sport.

The only thing that it could be shown as a risk is if you play on public property or on unlicensed fields.