Sign in to follow this  
karcirate

What to say to detective when applying for FID

So I have the number of a detective in my PD who handles firearms stuff, and want to call him before going down just to (hopefully) ease my way into the whole thing.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should broach the subject and what I should say to him, either via phone or in person?

You: Hi, Detective Jones?

DJ: Yes, this is Jones. How can I help you?

You: I'd like to make an appointment to come down and start the FID process. This is my first time doing this, and I need to know if there's anything I should have with me when I show up.

DJ: I'll be available on (day) at (time). Just come down, and I'll happily explain the relevant forms to you if you have any questions.

You: Great. That (day, time) is perfect for me. I'll see you then. Thanks very much.

That's the way it should go, YMMV.

I would simply call your local PD non-emergency number and ask them how to apply for a FID card. They usually only accept applications on a certain day(s) of the week. Drive down on that day and fill the stuff out. You will need to have the name and address of two friends (that don't think you are nuts), and the name and address of your employer. They process a bunch of these... its not like you'll be the first person to get a FID card through that station.

I just called up and asked how the township (well, in my case, city) handles FID's. He'll tell you the process and what's needed. Be direct - don't waste their time.

+1

Don't be coy about it. I'd go down and talk to the clerk actually. That person will give you the forms they want to see and explain the common problems people have...like in my town they only fingerprint on Fridays.

bring a pad of paper and a pen... they will likely tell you about how to go about getting fingerprinted, wait times, etc etc. I would also get the name of the person behind the desk, their direct number, write down time day and time you were there, and anything else they have to tell you. Document it so in 2 months when your FID isn't ready you can be like, "Hi Joe, I submitted my FID app with you on June 8th. Can you give me an update on it, blah blah blah."

Also, I would just put down 3 for your pistol permits, even if you don't plan on using them. Better to have and not use, than to need and not have. Sounds a perfect reason to buy a gun actually.

South River has outsourced fingerprinting to some company up in South Plainfield called Sagem Morpho. Its f-in stupid... you have to wait like three weeks to get an appointment. When you arrive the place is a boneyard and it takes 2 seconds to get printed. Seems like a lot of wasted effort when they can just do it at the PD. I wonder which NJ politician owns it?

So what I am getting from all of this is to basically be direct and unapologetic. (Not that I feel that way about it, but being on their good side can only help).

Definitely going for the 3 PPs - even if they do change the process soon (hopefully for the better), the price will probably go up also.

I think it is usually best if you get the forms that Maks gave links to in the stickied thread above regarding the process and call to ask when you can submit them. That way you are not making two trips and saves both parties some time. This helps you get the ball rolling on your own. Maks thread above told me more than any detective or police officer did when I started my process.

I went with both forms (but with the mental health form in duplicate). The detective took the forms and handed me an appointment slip for the finger prints.

This way the most important thing you have to ask him is how to pay the fee. The det. where I am said bring a check by anytime but I can imagine some would want the check at the same time as the paperwork.

I would expect them to send a letter. I would inform your boss/HR about it and give them the heads up. Unless you have a CCW, you cannot legally stop at work with a pistol (in the trunk, etc). In most cases its going to be a non issue. If for some reason you are able to get a CCW I would check with your employer about it.

There's no reason to be anything but direct. You have nothing to apologize for. Its not like you are a criminal because you want your FID card. It should be no different than getting your drivers license.

I would expect them to send a letter. I would inform your boss/HR about it and give them the heads up. Unless you have a CCW, you cannot legally stop at work with a pistol (in the trunk, etc). In most cases its going to be a non issue.

Wait, stop, Time Out.

WHy in the world would you tell someone to tell their boss and HR department about an FID application if you didn't have to? Forget that.

If there is cause for concern in that regard simply state to the det. "Is it standard for this department to send a letter to my employer because if so I would like to give them a heads up."

There is nothing more senseless than causing a problem at your job for absolutely no reason at all. I can understand the concern completely, you don't want your boss or anyone else for that matter to get all "Anti-Gun paranoid" and start wondering if you are looking to come in and wipe them out. But if YOU bring it up and the PD had no intention of sending a letter to your employer then you have just made the problem for yourself.

We can all laugh about the absurdity of going straight to the Police to legally purchase a weapon after waiting for a month at least to commit a crime of such nature, but the fact is people DO think that way. People WILL get paranoid.

Don't open the door to that unless it is necessary.

To the OP, yes ask. It is a valid question.

I would say, don't waste your time.

Call ahead to make an appointment, find out appropriate fees for your town.

Come to the appointment with the application and mental health consent form filled out.

Links are in the stickied post.

As far as employer, give it to them. If you start questioning why they want to contact your boss, then they will start questioning you. Dont be a hero. =)

Also, in 95% of the cases, they will not contact your employer, or they will call to verify you work there.

Only Jersey City wanted a letter from your boss.

You can probably call the records office too. Id ask if they want electronic fingerprints because if so, they might not take your application until you get them done and submit a receipt.

If thats the case theyll probably tell you to go to https://www.bioapplicant.com/Default.aspx so youll need to ask them for the numbers,etc to make a fingerprint appointment. Thats what I had to do so it could save you a trip to the PD. YMMV.

For starters though, definitely electronically fill out sts-033 and sp-66 .pdf forms and print them.

They contacted my employer, so I would expect them to contact yours. Why give your boss the heads up? IDK.. common courtesy? What would your boss think if one day he gets a request from some NJ Police Department asking about your mental health and firearms. Maybe thats normal in TX, but in NJ that would cause alarm with A LOT of people. You certainly don't have to tell anybody and let it run its course, but I think its a good idea to be upfront on whats goin on. Ya know when your boss sees the letter they think "Oh, here's that letter so and so was talkin about". Or they can think "WTF is going on with so and so?????!?!?!? Police?? Mental Health?? Guns?!??! Oh my!"

They contacted my employer, so I would expect them to contact yours. Why give your boss the heads up? IDK.. common courtesy? What would your boss think if one day he gets a request from some NJ Police Department asking about your mental health and firearms. Maybe thats normal in TX, but in NJ that would cause alarm with A LOT of people. You certainly don't have to tell anybody and let it run its course, but I think its a good idea to be upfront on whats goin on. Ya know when your boss sees the letter they think "Oh, here's that letter so and so was talkin about". Or they can think "WTF is going on with so and so?????!?!?!? Police?? Mental Health?? Guns?!??! Oh my!"

exactly, so ask if they are planning to first. Why bring it up if they are not planning to contact your employer?

They did not contact mine. The OP obviously read a number of posts here that indicate that not all PD's contact your employer so there is no reason to assume they will. Ask them.

My boss found out I was buying a gun (he is a principle in my co) and my Pres found out, they said, hey, when you taking us shooting?

I would say more people own guns in my Co (lots of hunters), then don't actually.

At least with the full time employees anyway.

But I still wouldn't say a word.

Highland Park has an info sheet that explains everything: what to do/fill out for first-time applicants, new permits, lost/stolen cards, physically mutilated or destroyed cards. It lists what exact forms to fill out and who to contact with questions. After you assemble everything, you make an appointment with the detective bureau secretary to go over the paperwork, get anything additional, and pick up your form for Sagem Morpho.

Definitely do this in advance, because yeah, Sagem Morpho is slow as crap for scheduling. I had to settle for July 1st when I went to their website yesterday (the 11th). All the while when I was with the detective secretary, the fingerprinting pad that they use for booking was right there. Sigh.

Well, I got through to the Firearms record keeper, and got the info sheet. The last line is not very encouraging:

"UNFORTUNATELY, INITIAL APPLICATIONS TAKE A LONG PERIOD OF TIME FOR PROCESSING. PLEASE DO NOT CALL FOR STATUS UPDATES UNLESS MORE THAN 5 MONTHS TIME HAS ELAPSED."

But I can still hope for the best.

I would simply call your local PD non-emergency number and ask them how to apply for a FID card. They usually only accept applications on a certain day(s) of the week. Drive down on that day and fill the stuff out. You will need to have the name and address of two friends (that don't think you are nuts), and the name and address of your employer. They process a bunch of these... its not like you'll be the first person to get a FID card through that station.

Or go online. All the forms are there and you could have them filled out, bring the money order and call him and let him know all forms are filled, you have the M.O. and would like to meet with him. The LEO in my area asked nothing about why, etc. He simply made small talk, asked how my day was, if I had any kids, if I like the Phillies... Ya' know, small talk. Took prints, said we'll call in 4-8 weeks and have a nice day...Still a pain comparing to other states.

...Unlike PA where you walk into a store, pick out a gun, buy it and leave. I hate this nanny state!

Yep, spoke to the det. He was pretty chilled, said probably since this wasn't for a carry permit, they would not contact my employer anyway.

(Also - spoke to him an hour ago - and am going tomorrow at 7 AM to apply, how's that for quick?)

Relax and enjoy your visit... the LEOs I have met were thrilled to see law abiding citizens get into firearms. Like i said, the second and third time I went in they talked guns, what I liked, did not like. The guy was also not fond of this administration, but I'll leave it at that.