Sign in to follow this  
njluger

FFL in central Jersey area that's willing to ship firearms

I'm looking to ship my CZ 75B out to the CZ Custom Shop for one of their sweet trigger jobs after shooting some's SP-01 at the range the other day. I've never shipped a firearm before but I know that for non-FFL holder, USPS is out of the question and that FedEx and UPS are both very expensive options. Can anyone recommend a good FFL that's willing to ship the firearm for me and not charge an arm and leg for the transfer fee? I don't mind throwing the FFL some $ for their trouble but one shop I talked to wanted to charge me shipping + full transfer ($50!) which basically makes shipping the same as using UPS or FedEX.

Thanks for any responses!

You are best off just shipping it yourself. UPS/FedEx are pricey, but so are the dealers here. I am yet to see a dealer in NJ with a reasonable transfer fee. Just be sure that when you go to the FedEx/UPS station you have the recipient's FFL, and are familiar with the shipping policies. Employees there may tell you "it's illegal to ship a gun" or "we don't ship guns" so be prepared to politely explain state/federal laws/company policy to them if need be.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I ended up shipping via FedEx and it wasn't as bad as I expected ($60 w/ proper insurance and direct signature). I slapped it on one of their Priority Express boxes and went to FedEx Kinko's to attempt to ship it. When I mentioned that the box contained a firearm (as per FedEx policy) the lady at the counter gave me a horrified look and said that she won't take the box for shipment. I politely told her that as per FedEx policy, shipping firearms is legal. She then asked me if I disassembled my firearm...and I said no, FedEx policy doesn't require that and asked her where she got her info from :roll:

I left FedEx Kinko's and went over to the main FedEx shipping center in Branchburg, where they took care of everything very promptly and professionally.

Moral of the story - don't go into a FedEx Kinkos if you're shipping your gun as I don't think those employees really read and understand the policy set forth by their company!

My experience has been to avoid all FEDEX KINKO shops and UPS Stores like the plaque. I had a UPS store in Atl lose my stuff and then ship it to the wrong addresses when it was eventually found.

ALWAYS got to the center. ALWAYS.

Ship it yourself if you can. Issue is, if an FFL takes possession, they have to log in the gun, ie, paperwork.

and do a nics to give it back.

this is not true.. that is only true if we take it in for sale. there are different log books for gun sales and gunsmithing. this would be put into a gunsmithing book and be allowed to be giving back to the owner once the gun comes back from repair.