Matt

Has anyone been pulled over with firearms in the car and

Obviously the boys club will apply as it does anywhere. I/we are all guilty of it. I have gotten breaks because I am a Marine and have given them. Anyone that has a PBA card EXPECTS the same thing.

I know. It just gets me because there is no such luck for the rest of us lowly serfs. I just read this morning about a guy who was in the passenger seat of a car, driver spun out of control and was killed.....and NJSP charged the guy in the passenger seat with DUI. http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/ ... _thou.html I really, really, hope this gets thrown out in court. I am pretty sure the D in DUI stands for "Driving" and I'd love to know how this guy could have possibly done that from the passenger seat.

I just don't get it..... :?

Reading is Fundamental

The ongoing investigation revealed that prior to the accident Galdamez was driving the BMW while under the influence of alcohol, but not at the time of the crash, Polite said. As a result, Galdamez was charged with driving while intoxicated.

Getting charged and not driving obviously is wrong. I hope that gets thrown out too. I am not saying it should be a free for all either. Certain things should land you in hot water. A DUI is one of them.

My experience has always been I was treated with the same attitude I offered. There are DB Cops as there are DB's everywhere. From the time I am pulled over to the time I drive away I do all that I can to make the approaching Officer feel at ease. I drive a Van and will always turn on my interior lights at night as well as roll my window down and put both hands in clear sight. I find it is the simple courtesies that make the stop easier for both of us.

Well said. And yes of course, stuff like DUI, reckless driving, speeding etc. should be punished as they endanger other people.

I have a 2009 family member PBA card, I dont think the year matters on these. But I do the same, treat the cop as you would want to be treated. They give out tickets all day every day, they dont feel like being held up by people who've done something wrong pleading their case. I'd had a few bad run ins with police in the past for stupid stuff, and stuff that I didn't do but I think they were just training a rookie. However I feel as you get older, you are stopped less, and when you are stopped, you treat them with respect and answer their questions with honesty and you are let off 99.9 percent of the time. I got out of 2 or 3 accident tickets for being completely honest as it was my fault, the officer told me he appreciated my honesty and said im not gonna give you a ticket, I thanked him and the day went on with thought of how am I going to get another car :lol:

Obviously the boys club will apply as it does anywhere. I/we are all guilty of it. I have gotten breaks because I am a Marine and have given them. Anyone that has a PBA card EXPECTS the same thing.

I know. It just gets me because there is no such luck for the rest of us lowly serfs. I just read this morning about a guy who was in the passenger seat of a car, driver spun out of control and was killed.....and NJSP charged the guy in the passenger seat with DUI. http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.ssf/ ... _thou.html I really, really, hope this gets thrown out in court. I am pretty sure the D in DUI stands for "Driving" and I'd love to know how this guy could have possibly done that from the passenger seat.

I just don't get it..... :?

Reading is Fundamental

The ongoing investigation revealed that prior to the accident Galdamez was driving the BMW while under the influence of alcohol, but not at the time of the crash, Polite said. As a result, Galdamez was charged with driving while intoxicated.

I still don't get it. He wasn't at the wheel at the time of the crash. I hope the judge throws these frivolous charges out the window and the court awards the man the legal fees he will have to spend proving his innocence against these ridiculous charges. No amount of frivolous charges will bring the deceased back.

I still don't get it. He wasn't at the wheel at the time of the crash. I hope the judge throws these frivolous charges out the window and the court awards the man the legal fees he will have to spend proving his innocence against these ridiculous charges.

wonder how they knew that?

I still don't get it. He wasn't at the wheel at the time of the crash. I hope the judge throws these frivolous charges out the window and the court awards the man the legal fees he will have to spend proving his innocence against these ridiculous charges.

Most likely, the guy told the cops the truth. His honesty and integrity was used against him and now he will be punished for it. At the very least, he will be out thousands in legal fees.

He was probably an honest individual who said "officer, I had a few too many drinks and realized I was in no shape to drive, and let my friend drive" at which point rather than appreciate his honest and responsible decisions, his honor was used against him.

Just another example of why no matter how many "good cop" stories you hear, you always have to watch out for the 1 in 100, and never talk to police.

Most likely, the guy told the cops the truth. His honesty and integrity was used against him and now he will be punished for it. At the very least, he will be out thousands in legal fees.

He was probably an honest individual who said "officer, I had a few too many drinks and realized I was in no shape to drive, and let my friend drive" at which point rather than appreciate his honest and responsible decisions, his honor was used against him.

Just another example of why no matter how many "good cop" stories you hear, you always have to watch out for the 1 in 100, and never talk to police.

Maybe they seen him switching seats while getting pulled over :lol:

Wow,. so it's OK that he was STILL DUI jsut because he wasnt driving at the time of the crash? I hope one day that YOU dont have a family member injured or killed by some drunk Scumbag. and before You start i have NEVER given another cop a break for DUI. I;ve arrested guys from my own and other

agencies for being drunk. Also, Domestic violence doenst get a pass either.

I hope one day that YOU dont have a family member injured or killed by some drunk Scumbag

I'm sorry, but the appeal to emotion isn't going to work with me. Drunk driving is a dangerous action that should be punished, however it is going a bit far when a guy in the passenger seat can be charged with DUI. I have read that in some places you can be charged with DUI simply for resting in the backseat with the car turned off in the parking lot of the bar.

He should not have spoken a single word to the cops until his lawyer was present. Now his case will be harder to defend since he likely admitted driving previously and they took advantage of his honesty. If the man realized he was in no shape to drive and did the responsible thing by allowing someone else to do so, he is not an individual that should be punished for DUI.

I am glad that you have never given anyone a pass for DUI or DV, that's the way it should be.

I hope one day that YOU dont have a family member injured or killed by some drunk Scumbag

I'm sorry, but the appeal to emotion isn't going to work with me. Drunk driving is a dangerous action that should be punished, however it is going a bit far when a guy in the passenger seat can be charged with DUI. I have read that in some places you can be charged with DUI simply for resting in the backseat with the car turned off in the parking lot of the bar.

He should not have spoken a single word to the cops until his lawyer was present. Now his case will be harder to defend since he likely admitted driving previously and they took advantage of his honesty. If the man realized he was in no shape to drive and did the responsible thing by allowing someone else to do so, he is not an individual that should be punished for DUI.

I am glad that you have never given anyone a pass for DUI or DV, that's the way it should be.

So where excatly are you getting your information as to how it was determined that he was DUI. The article CLEARLY stated that his DUI was not connected to the Crash. It is a separate incident. if they have a credible witness that can positively ID the individual at the wheel then they have operation. As far as an attorney..You dont NEED an Attorney present when it comes to DUI because you have no right to refuse to give Breath samples. You are extrapolating what happened here by literally pulling a scenario out of your A$$ with nothing but your own Inferiority complex (as evidenced by your continula use of the word "Serf") to go on.

... You are extrapolating what happened here by literally pulling a scenario out of your A$$ with nothing but your own Inferiority complex (as evidenced by your continula use of the word "Serf") to go on.

Classy. Is this the level of discourse we're to expect from you on the forums?

So where excatly are you getting your information as to how it was determined that he was DUI. The article CLEARLY stated that his DUI was not connected to the Crash. It is a separate incident. if they have a credible witness that can positively ID the individual at the wheel then they have operation. As far as an attorney..You dont NEED an Attorney present when it comes to DUI because you have no right to refuse to give Breath samples. You are extrapolating what happened here by literally pulling a scenario out of your A$$ with nothing but your own Inferiority complex (as evidenced by your continula use of the word "Serf") to go on.

Simply musing over the situation is all. The crash was on the highway and the other two people in the car are dead, so they certainly didn't say anything to the police. He is the only survivor. My guess is that he tried being honest and was screwed for it. The accusation could come from elsewhere, but at the moment I find his admission to be the likeliest scenario, and as previously stated in my previous post that you probably didn't read, it is just my guess.

As for breath samples, once again, I said talking. Likely, what got him in trouble is that he stated outright the whole and honest story. He was in the passenger seat so what does it matter if he blew a .01 or a .14 unless he said something or a witness stated they saw him leaving the driver's seat. He's charged with DRIVING while intoxicated yet he was not driving....

I also do not have an inferiority complex, I just don't like to see innocent people wrongfully punished. Are you a cop, or a psychologist?

As evidenced by your aggressive tone, you only serve to reinforce some of the fears many people have about law enforcement. Straight from the straight you have declined to even engage in civil conversation with me.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree, and hopefully the court corrects this incident.

I am not sure that I understand what the debate is. If the guy had admitted to operating the vehicle while under the influence earlier, than he deserves the DUI. It is no different than you and a buddy both drunk in a car and you bud is driving, get pulled over and you both get DUI. Adults are supposed to be responsible, and drunk driving is not being a responsible adult.

As for all the tough guy talk about 4 and 5 amendment rights, you would have to be out of your mind to sit in your car and intentionally not answer a cops questions when asked. If you have nothing to hide, and have done nothing wrong as far as your firearms are concerned, why act like a tough guy? All you are doing is escalating what is probably a no big deal situation into a big problem by acting like a D.B. People just need to learn to shut their mouths and respect authority figures. I find it funny how so many people in society think that they are Billy-Bad-Ass, and then wonder why they get into trouble. Just a little food for thought, think first before you open your mouth, it may prevent you from having to stick your foot in it!!

Simply musing over the situation is all. The crash was on the highway and the other two people in the car are dead, so they certainly didn't say anything to the police. He is the only survivor. My guess is that he tried being honest and was screwed for it. The accusation could come from elsewhere, but at the moment I find his admission to be the likeliest scenario, and as previously stated in my previous post that you probably didn't read, it is just my guess.

As for breath samples, once again, I said talking. Likely, what got him in trouble is that he stated outright the whole and honest story. He was in the passenger seat so what does it matter if he blew a .01 or a .14 unless he said something or a witness stated they saw him leaving the driver's seat. He's charged with DRIVING while intoxicated yet he was not driving....

I also do not have an inferiority complex, I just don't like to see innocent people wrongfully punished. Are you a cop, or a psychologist?

As evidenced by your aggressive tone, you only serve to reinforce some of the fears many people have about law enforcement. Straight from the straight you have declined to even engage in civil conversation with me.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree, and hopefully the court corrects this incident.

Thank you for repeatedly proving my point. You dont know anything about the incident other than what is in the article and you are just fishing for something to complain about.

People just need to learn to shut their mouths and respect authority figures.

Right on. Pip pip cheerio. Let's pretend we did that and we're all still British. Or maybe we can go for a modern example, like say, North Korea, China, The Union of Myanmar, or various authoritarian military dictatorships in sub-Saharan Africa. I bet you think Robert Mugabe makes a good president too huh?

Remember, it's spelled "colour" "armour" etc.

Thank you for repeatedly proving my point. You dont know anything about the incident other than what is in the article and you are just fishing for something to complain about.

I never said anything I posted was anything other than my guess. Why don't you chill out?

All you are doing is escalating what is probably a no big deal situation into a big problem by acting like a D.B. People just need to learn to shut their mouths and respect authority figures.

You seem to have this whole thing backwards, sir. Authority figures should respect people's rights. People should know their rights and question authority.

All you are doing is escalating what is probably a no big deal situation into a big problem by acting like a D.B. People just need to learn to shut their mouths and respect authority figures.

You seem to have this whole thing backwards, sir. Authority figures should respect people's rights. People should know their rights and question authority.

No no. People should shut up and not question authority figures. It leads to great things!

In an effort to get us back on point, Matt's original question was how would each of us respond if a Police Officer asked during a stop, "do you have any weapons in the car." I gave my honest answer and received some criticism, which I expected. That's okay, no hard feelings. I would like to hear from KdpPipes and MaidenEddie how you would respond. I believe it would be wise to consider all viewpoints. Then, Matt can decide for himself.

Thank you Smity

There has been enough sidetracking. Back to the question.

I have not been pulled over while transporting, but I would not offer any info. I would not lie if asked the question, but I would not offer any info to make him think I was transporting guns.

Thank you Smity

There has been enough sidetracking. Back to the question.

I have not been pulled over while transporting, but I would not offer any info. I would not lie if asked the question, but I would not offer any info to make him think I was transporting guns.

This seems like the best course of action to me. If the officer were to ask me directly whether I had any weapons in the car, I'd indicate I had unloaded firearms secured in the trunk that I am legally transporting to/from the range/my residence. I would not venture any information myself. I would certainly not consent to a search.

I would not lie if asked the question, but I would not offer any info to make him think I was transporting guns.

I don't know if I would answer the question. I'm generally disagreeable, so don't go by what I may or may not do.

I certainly would not volunteer information ie:

Sir, do you know why I pulled you over tonight?

Because I'm transporting firearms legally...

I also would not offer the information up during a traffic stop if I had my firearms with me. If I was directly asked by the officer if I had any weapons in the vehicle than I would tell him. I would think that is better to be cool and answer his questions, than try to sidestep and potentially escalate a situation.

I would tell them...

"not only do I have firearms in the trunk. I have Crack, Money, Explosives and a dead hooker in there too".

That way when SWAT and their OIC arrive and open it to find nothing. They will just assume the officer was lying about the speeding too.

Just a joke by the way.....

I would tell them...

"not only do I have firearms in the trunk. I have Crack, Money, Explosives and a dead hooker in there too".

That way when SWAT and their OIC arrive and open it to find nothing. They will just assume the officer was lying about the speeding too.

A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:

Officer: May I see your driver

I would tell them...

A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:

Officer: May I see your driver

yeah, supposedly most police departments have mic's on their person, and usually record everything being said. Not sure if this is the case in NJ, but I know other states do it.

yeah, supposedly most police departments have mic's on their person, and usually record everything being said. Not sure if this is the case in NJ, but I know other states do it.

Depends..Bergen County, EVERY marked vehicle has a camera system installed per the Prosecutor's office, other places it's hit or miss depending on how much funding they have the systems arent cheap.